BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
TheRealDC
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Angry Post accident warning!!!

Well, it happened on Sunday 11th. Cold damp evening and exiting a roundabout (MDM mode of course), the car snapped through 180 degrees crashing into a grass bank with a handily placed light post taking care of the drivers door and back quarter. All the airbags on the drivers side deployed, but my poor gf got thrown against the centre console and cracked a rib, as well as getting some whiplash to her neck. What I don't understand is why it snapped so violently. I've driven high powered rear wheel drive cars for many years and have raced club motorsport for over 10 years, yet it took me completely by surprise. My hunch is that there may have been some of satans fuel deposited on the exit. If not, my reflexes are shot!!

Anyway, I initially thought the car was driveable, so tried to reverse out until the dash lit up warning that the oil level was below minimum On closer inspection, bearing in mind the light from the lamp post was extinguished when I hit it, it appears that an oil cooler burst.

Stopped the car immediately and had it picked up by BMW emergency services, but when it was examined at my local dealership, the repair cost was calculated to be at least £27k!! £18k of this was for a replacement engine as they found white metal in the oil

So, my car is scrap because BMW advise that they won't rebuild the engine because 2 of the 3 major components may be damaged. They stated that the 3 major components are crank, block and cylinder heads.

Conclusions :

1. Do not run your engine if involved in an accident as the oil system drains VERY quickly.
2. How can an engine be scrap because of this? I've rebuilt race motors in the past with white metal having gone through the whole engine (big ends usually). The only caveat I can recall is to ensure that all oilways are thoroughly cleaned out, bearing surfaces checked for damage and all new lubrication system is fitted.

Gutted!!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Tough one. Glad to hear everyone is ok.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Ouch! I'm guessing insurance will cover the write-off? M Dynamic at a round about in the winter in Scotland eh? Hmmm...

Hope your girlfriend recovers quick! She may not be too keen on you buying another M3 though!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
I'm glad that you and yourg/f are ok. Sorry about the car.... Those tires are not good for running high speeds, especially on turns in cold weather. I hope that you can get another M3.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
TheRealDC
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Ouch! I'm guessing insurance will cover the write-off? M Dynamic at a round about in the winter in Scotland eh? Hmmm...

Hope your girlfriend recovers quick! She may not be too keen on you buying another M3 though!
Hehe - I know, but the M diff is one of my favourite parts of these cars. It so controllable under all circumstances - normally ...

And it was she who encouraged me to go faster!! Even the next day when I was driving her TT quattro, she was egging me on, but my heart wasn't in it ..

Thanks all for the kind words. Hopefully the insurers will cough up enough for me to buy an equivalent replacement, but I am seriously considering a low miles E46, as I loved that car dearly. Just don't know if it'd be the same going back to that model after owning my E92 for over a year ...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
jamesisel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Jerez/Fox Red E92 M3

Important thing is that you two are alive!
Eisenmann Race Performance/VRS front lip 1x1/VRS type II diffuser 1x1/VRS single side trunk with Fade/19" HRE C90's/RE SSK/H&R Sport springs /35% tint/Painted reflectors/Painted side markers with dark tint LED's/Tinted tail lights/Front grilles/Hardwire V1
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Sorry to hear it RealDC, you were one of the first members on the board to get your M3 as I recall it. Glad to hear you and your girlfriend are ok though. I hope you are back in an M3 very soon.

Did you have some good winter tires on the car? Also, you might have hit a patch of black ice.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesisel View Post
+9999999999999999999999999999999999999999

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray

Sorry to hear about the crash.

Jeremy Clarkson was right. People wouldn't crash as much if the authorities wouldn't put up so many poles for signs and lightposts.
      01-20-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
TheRealDC
Private
Scotland
Rep

First to get, first to wipe out??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sorry to hear it RealDC, you were one of the first members on the board to get your M3 as I recall it. Glad to hear you and your girlfriend are ok though. I hope you are back in an M3 very soon.

Did you have some good winter tires on the car? Also, you might have hit a patch of black ice.
mkoesel

Again, appreciate the kind thoughts. I was indeed one of the first (Sep 15th 07). Already got my eye on some similarly specced coupe's, but might give DCT a whirl this time!

We're both absolutely fine. It really wasn't that big an impact, well compared to some of the track accidents I've had at 100mph plus! I don't think I'd even be over 40 when it happened, quite a slow exit from the roundabout.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
Mischievous M
First Lieutenant
Brunei
Rep
Drives: BMW (E92) M3 & 2004 JCW MCS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesisel View Post
Thank goodness you and your precious gf are well and alive. I hope that everything gets resolved soon for your ///M.

Keep your head up mate
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Sorry to hear of this. Glad everyone is OK despite the broken rib.

I guess BMW simply does not want to take the chance of rebuilding the engine and potentially deal with recurring repairs if the internals were indeed damaged. They are just playing it safe, and they have no incentive not to because they know you (your insurance) will pay for it anyway. But I agree though that one should be able to inspect the thing and rebuild it if all is fine. Honestly, if your insurance is paying for it, you are probably better off with a new engine though.

I spun the car on the track in October just the way you describe it. It was just above freezing outside. I had put in 3 warm up laps and I thought I could pick up the pace a bit. Coming out of a turn, I applied a bit more throttle than the previous lap, and the tail swung out. The thing is, I counter steered and everything--as for as I can tell, promptly--but could not recover. It was very binary; traction and no traction. It was the kind of oversteer I could normally correct for. The instructor said the exact same thing happened to him in the previous session and it was because of cold tires. I didn't hit anything though.

Last edited by lucid; 01-20-2009 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Glad everyone is (relatively - rib fractures are paaaainful!!) okay.

Did your M3 come with the Pilot Sport Cup tyres?

Just curious. I spent time in Eire and Northern Ireland, and those cold, damp mornings were deceptive in terms of assessing driving conditions, all right.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #14
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Were you still running your PS2s or were you on winter tyres DC?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #15
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Sorry to hear! Glad both of you are well. That is one cool girlfriend if she was pushing you to drive her quattro faster the day after the accident!
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
CPM5
Catch me if you can
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F82 M4

Broke my ribs 2X last year wrestling, so I feel the pain your girlfriend is in. Two things that help: Ibuprofen (200ml 4X a day) and sleeping on the fractured side. Do not try and tight up the rib cage during the day using any kind of bandages, as this might cause water in lungs.

I am very glad both of you guys are OK!!!! This is the most important thing!!!

Screw the car brother, as it is just a bunch of metal anyway. Let's hope your insurance covers you, so that you can get your next big love :-)

Stay safe!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDC View Post

Well, it happened on Sunday 11th. Cold damp evening and exiting a roundabout (MDM mode of course), the car snapped through 180 degrees crashing into a grass bank with a handily placed light post taking care of the drivers door and back quarter. All the airbags on the drivers side deployed, but my poor gf got thrown against the centre console and cracked a rib, as well as getting some whiplash to her neck. What I don't understand is why it snapped so violently. I've driven high powered rear wheel drive cars for many years and have raced club motorsport for over 10 years, yet it took me completely by surprise. My hunch is that there may have been some of satans fuel deposited on the exit. If not, my reflexes are shot!!

Anyway, I initially thought the car was driveable, so tried to reverse out until the dash lit up warning that the oil level was below minimum On closer inspection, bearing in mind the light from the lamp post was extinguished when I hit it, it appears that an oil cooler burst.

Stopped the car immediately and had it picked up by BMW emergency services, but when it was examined at my local dealership, the repair cost was calculated to be at least £27k!! £18k of this was for a replacement engine as they found white metal in the oil

So, my car is scrap because BMW advise that they won't rebuild the engine because 2 of the 3 major components may be damaged. They stated that the 3 major components are crank, block and cylinder heads.

Conclusions :

1. Do not run your engine if involved in an accident as the oil system drains VERY quickly.
2. How can an engine be scrap because of this? I've rebuilt race motors in the past with white metal having gone through the whole engine (big ends usually). The only caveat I can recall is to ensure that all oilways are thoroughly cleaned out, bearing surfaces checked for damage and all new lubrication system is fitted.

Gutted!!
Appreciate 0