BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Style Wise: Did BMW hold back for the CSL?

It seems like the car should be a little "chunkier" than the normal 3 series. Like the E46.

The 135i looks a little meaner and sportier. The E46 still stands out vs. normal cars. The RS4 has large, flared arches. As does the M5. Its like the E90 is too "sleek" vs. mean looking.

Am I alone here? Maybe BMW left room to make the CSL the chunky, flared, mean looking M3?

6 months of ownership, and besides the mediocre exterior, I love the car!

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

Aside from the front fenders, fender grilles, rear diffuser, and CF hood.

Most likely the a CSL version (if they ever pick back up) will have the signature trunk of course, CSL wheels, and new front end, of course this is all IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

no you are not alone. i think at the very least they should have come out with more agressive fenders and trim that damn exaust can that hanging out on the back and better yet, bbk caliper on all four corners. then the new m3 would look perfect and I wouldn't mind spending an extra 2-3k for these options if i'm looking to buy the new m.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
no you are not alone. i think at the very least they should have come out with more agressive fenders and trim that damn exaust can that hanging out on the back and better yet, bbk caliper on all four corners. then the new m3 would look perfect and I wouldn't mind spending an extra 2-3k for these options if i'm looking to buy the new m.
+1 on the exhaust hanging off the rear! I mean, it looks like a bad aftermarket job on the sedan from some angles. My wife and I would rip on some American cars for having the exhaust hanging down exposed, but to see it on an M3? I dont get it...

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

You're not alone. IMO the new M3 really is too sleek and looks too much like the other versions of the E9x series. I liked the "chunkiness" of the E46 M3, especially as it stood out from the other versions. It was muscular, like a boxer or wrestler. The new M3 looks like a ... swimmer or runner. It's not that bad, but not very in keeping with my notion of what an M3 should look like.

I think everyone agrees the "look" of the muffler hanging down in the back is a glaring design faux-pas. It looks like a baboon's nuts or something. I miss the old days when BMWs weren't Bangled.

Also, when I look at it from behind I get scared that the differential cooling fins are too close to the ground. Hit a bump and good bye 100% lock-up diffy. Especially with the sedan.

So while I'm bitchin' here's something else: is the ///M3 badge on the trunk is too small? I saw a sedan on the highway a few days ago and from not very far back it looks like a wart or something.

All things considered though, it's not too shabby and certainly not something that will turn me off to the M3. We all love to complain, and no car is perfect, but the M3 does come the closest.
      01-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
You're not alone. IMO the new M3 really is too sleek and looks too much like the other versions of the E9x series. I liked the "chunkiness" of the E46 M3, especially as it stood out from the other versions. It was muscular, like a boxer or wrestler. The new M3 looks like a ... swimmer or runner. It's not that bad, but not very in keeping with my notion of what an M3 should look like.

I think everyone agrees the "look" of the muffler hanging down in the back is a glaring design faux-pas. It looks like a baboon's nuts or something. I miss the old days when BMWs weren't Bangled.

Also, when I look at it from behind I get scared that the differential cooling fins are too close to the ground. Hit a bump and good bye 100% lock-up diffy. Especially with the sedan.

So while I'm bitchin' here's something else: is the ///M3 badge on the trunk is too small? I saw a sedan on the highway a few days ago and from not very far back it looks like a wart or something.

All things considered though, it's not too shabby and certainly not something that will turn me off to the M3. We all love to complain, and no car is perfect, but the M3 does come the closest.
What M3 badge? I prefer no M3 badge on the outside, including the faux-side-vent / grilles. Sleeper look is my thing. I think the hood bulge is already too aggressive for the M3. The fender flares, front bumper, rear bumper, and quad exhaust did a great job in setting off the M3 from the regular E9X.
      01-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

i agree with ersin too. There are things that the new m3 is better compare to the e46 m3. For example, I really like the new side vents, more pronounce hood bulge, carbon roof, engine/exaust sound, dct, edc, more comfortable for daily use, etc. In a sense, the new m is very good in it own right.

for the exaust can in the back, nothing an affermarket exaust can't fix. So these are really minor complain to be honest.

the e46 m3 does looks really agressive, however it has it own faults as well. For example, lack of lumbar support (seat is not comfortable compare to the new one), body roll with the stock suspension (although the limit is much higher, but it makes you feel nervous), lot of rattles, subframe failure, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post

+1 on the M3 badge. I also think its a bit too small, should have kept it the same size as the E46. Doesn't look bad at all, just think its a bit small too.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 12:31 AM   #9
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
The exhaust hanging low is annoying at first. But the more I look at it, the more I accept it. The front fenders are pretty wide looking from the top. The rear fenders on the coupe could be a bit wider but it's still okay. The hood bulge is just badass.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

BMW came out and said the exhaust was there too aid airflow under the car, so it was form before function. As for the flared arches, compare a model of an E92 with an E92 M3 and you can see the difference. I think it's only because the arches are one continuous bulge, rather than added on to the wing that they don't look as aggressive, but they are wider than standard E92s.
      01-25-2009, 07:45 AM   #11
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Finally someone says it, the new m3 is soft as hell looks wise as compared to the e46.
      01-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #12
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
IMO, the E9x M3 looks pretty aggressive while maintaining a mature appearance. I think the E46 M3 looks better but its all in the eye of the beholder. I don't want a really "loud" looking car like an EVO or GTR.

I think the 1 series is kind of ugly. The headlights are hideous and the line going back to the trunk looks kind of retarded. I still love the idea of a 1 series, BMW just needs to make it look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
subframe failure
Let's pray that doesn't become an issue with this generation.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Yes I have Noticed this too... I think the M3's front End/Bumper is too Subtle.
They should have made it more Meaner as well as the Front and Rear Fenders...
They also should have went with Brembos on the Brakes, I mean Come on, The
Mitsubishi Evo comes with Brembos... loll... Oh well, we still love it

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #14
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

-1 I think the e9x m is aggressive looking. You definitely can't confuse it with a regular 3 series. In my opinion BMW did it just right. I probably wouldn't like it as much if they went more extreme with it.
      01-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
the only M3 that had very different looks was the E30
you could tell i was an M3 from any angle
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 03:20 AM   #16
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
-1 I think the e9x m is aggressive looking. You definitely can't confuse it with a regular 3 series. In my opinion BMW did it just right. I probably wouldn't like it as much if they went more extreme with it.
fully agree
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #17
samM376'
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

I watched one of those interviews again with BMW AG M designers and they mention something about the light weight application in the material used for the fenders

They were extending themselves to put lighter weight on the arches to save some kind of weight here.
So maybe they didn't want to over exert themselves to the extreme and add more just to save a pound or two in the composite, but who knows. I'm not an engineer or designer so most likely I'm wrong

Just a guess. It would be hot and more than welcomed if they were more pronounced and wide like my E46 was, but I think it looks good just the same

http://chitownm.com
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #18
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

well, so back to the original question - did BMW leave room for a CSL? Sounds like they may have left some room as the styling is probably not as aggressive as it could have been. Maybe they plan to offer a CSL or RS type "premium" offering which will be more aggressive than the standard. This is my best guess.

I think of the E90 M3 more similar to the E36, on the conservative end. Where the E46 stood out more and was more aggressive.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #19
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

The M division has officially announced they will not produce the CSL version anymore, due to estimated limited interest. And given the current economic situation, can't say that I blame them.

It's true they've announced such things in the past - when they said they would not produce an M version of the Z4 - and yet still went ahead and produced one. So they may change their mind regarding the E92 CSL... but I doubt it.

Design-wise I don't think it wasn't so much leaving room for a wilder version, as it was accomplishing their dimensional goals (track width vs. tire width vs. power) without any major body flares. And they will always use the most economical design language, as much as they can.

I personally like the E90 M3 very much, more than the E92 version which looks too slab-sided to my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #20
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
the only M3 that had very different looks was the E30
you could tell i was an M3 from any angle
Even with the badges, I think that BMW enthusiasts/fans are the only people that can tell the difference between a regular 3 series and an M3.

To those enthusiasts, the differences are pretty obvious from the E30 to the E9X.

Even more, I think the E46 M3 is ugly as hell. Anything that BMW did to differentiate the styling cues on the E9X from those of its immediate predecessor is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #21
samM376'
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
The M division has officially announced they will not produce the CSL version anymore, due to estimated limited interest. And given the current economic situation, can't say that I blame them.

It's true they've announced such things in the past - when they said they would not produce an M version of the Z4 - and yet still went ahead and produced one
Good point forgot about that, but if I were at BMW I bet they view this as a never again type deal

The Z4M didn't do too well for BMW. When they neared the end they were practically giving them away to you and throwing in tons of perks
I think there is only a ball park of around 1.5k Z4M's around
The odds of a Competition or CSL style M3 are very unlikely right now
The current M3 is very good as it stands. So as long as the RS5 or other competitors don't give it a huge run for the M3's money I think it will stay similar for a time to come

http://chitownm.com
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #22
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

CSL front as it should be:
Attached Images