BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

07-26-2023, 05:54 PM   #1
leofuxing
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Parking

Hello G70 owners

I am considering an i7 but I'm concerned if this car will fit my 20 foot garage

Anybody else had any concerns with home parking before purchasing given the car's size?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 01:55 AM   #2
rollingtaser
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i7 M70, SL63

Quote:
Originally Posted by leofuxing View Post
Hello G70 owners

I am considering an i7 but I'm concerned if this car will fit my 20 foot garage

Anybody else had any concerns with home parking before purchasing given the car's size?
you will have 2,3 feet left

well, yes... my actual car is 5,13m vs. 5,39m for the i7 - so 26cm longer

for me the main criteria was that it's not over 2m in width, that would cause a lot of problems in the daily use. length, well, it may just have the nose out some cm, that's not a big deal.

i took my laser distance meter and checked where i usually park... didn't encounter a real problem anywhere.

hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 08:37 AM   #3
todao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i

I had the same concern. the car is 212 inches in length. I have about 18 inches to spare so I put some bumper pads in the front of my garage so as a pull close if the car comes in contact it will be with a soft bumper pad. It works fine.

I did try and have it memorize the travel of pulling into my garage, thinking it would pull in exactly to the proper distance between the wall and bumper pads but I found it does not pull into the exact same location because the car sees the wall and stops before it is pulled in all the way, so I just do it manually. Which is easy given the cameras.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue239.50
      07-27-2023, 03:32 PM   #4
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

If you're not actually rich with an oversized garage, then yes, I'd think all of us have that concern given the vehicle's bus-like length. I did.

My Chrysler is 199 in (506 cm), while the i7 is 212 in (539 cm). Right now I have about a foot (30 cm) of room between the end of that car and garage door. HAPPILY, in FRONT of my car is a bike and some odds and ends that I will need to clear out to regain that extra space I'll soon need.

Your question actually makes me wonder if there have been some potential owners who had to shop for a different vehicle because their garages weren't long enough. Thank you for bringing up a real concern to many.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 07:05 PM   #5
leofuxing
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroMike View Post
If you're not actually rich with an oversized garage, then yes, I'd think all of us have that concern given the vehicle's bus-like length. I did.

My Chrysler is 199 in (506 cm), while the i7 is 212 in (539 cm). Right now I have about a foot (30 cm) of room between the end of that car and garage door. HAPPILY, in FRONT of my car is a bike and some odds and ends that I will need to clear out to regain that extra space I'll soon need.

Your question actually makes me wonder if there have been some potential owners who had to shop for a different vehicle because their garages weren't long enough. Thank you for bringing up a real concern to many.
How much more space will moving the stuff in front open up?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 07:28 AM   #6
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

My garage is physically long enough, but I have custom shelving built along the back wall that was never an issue with other vehicles, but I can no longer park in the garage with my i7

I guess I just need to get another convertible to fill the empty bay, or atleast thats what I told the wife!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 01:13 PM   #7
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
I had no trouble getting mine into the garage in each of 2 houses. One is a standard sized garage; the other is bigger. For each I got a large bumper like the link below. You can secure it with lag bolts or glue it down, and I also secured a short length of 2 x 4 behind it. Fitting the car in just means driving in until you reach the stop. I did it even in the larger garage so I wouldn't pull in too far and collide with something stored in the back of the garage https://www.amazon.com/Guardian-DH-P...0A2XD7RI&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 01:00 PM   #8
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leofuxing View Post
How much more space will moving the stuff in front open up?
Removing the "bike and some odds and ends" I mention will open up about 15 inches more, so the i7 will fit with basically the same amount of extra back-end space as my Chrysler. That bike is a standard bike and superfluous now anyway, since I've also obtain two e-bikes in the last 2 years.

Now saying that of course I'll have to pull the i7 in more or less all the way to the back, but then, that's what the Drive Recorder and automatic parking features can easily accomplish to the exact inch every single time, right? :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 02:30 PM   #9
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroMike View Post
Removing the "bike and some odds and ends" I mention will open up about 15 inches more, so the i7 will fit with basically the same amount of extra back-end space as my Chrysler. That bike is a standard bike and superfluous now anyway, since I've also obtain two e-bikes in the last 2 years.

Now saying that of course I'll have to pull the i7 in more or less all the way to the back, but then, that's what the Drive Recorder and automatic parking features can easily accomplish to the exact inch every single time, right? :-)
Not exactly. I hope you were kidding. I have a path recorded for one garage but need to take control to get it in all the way. The larger garage is two car/two door with narrow openings and I cannot get the recorder to record a path. The Backup Assistant, on the other hand, is brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 02:55 PM   #10
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

I appreciate that from your personal experience AB. I certainly don't OWN Series 7 vehicle yet so I guess I'll just have to wait and see how accurate the technology is under my particular circumstances. I've certainly SEEN YouTube vids where it has worked in situations compact and diminutive than mine so I believe I have some realistic confidence in it. Hey, even with the worse case scenario I can always park the car myself like I've done all my life (First-World problem, right?). :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 02:57 PM   #11
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
I had no trouble getting mine into the garage in each of 2 houses. One is a standard sized garage; the other is bigger. For each I got a large bumper like the link below. https://www.amazon.com/Guardian-DH-P...0A2XD7RI&psc=1
That seems like a pretty good idea -- thanks for that posting! :-)
Appreciate 0