BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

07-28-2023, 06:23 AM   #1
jcdsag
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Exclamation Level 3 Self-Driving

Interesting article and movie about the coming level 3 self-driving capabilities from the 7series G70:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/07/26/b...-self-driving/

Very happy to see how BMW pushing forward, but at the same time also bit frustrated because I'll get somehow an outdated version of my 7series as soon as I picked it up in a few months.

What's your opinion regarding this few feature of the 7series?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 07:49 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Seems an obvious enhancement to what is already present on existing BMWs

I believe this is also coming to the g60 as well in 2024

Would I use it, yes I would as I use the existing system on my g30 . But I like the choice that I can still drive myself when I want to enjoy driving for driving sakes

Wonder if this becomes part of the driving assistant professional or whether this is an additional level above and hence another rpackage and hence extra money.

All the extra sensors is bound to bump up the price
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 01:57 PM   #3
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

I absolutely love it! Most people I speak with here in the US abhor, or at least are far from comfortable with, self-driving technology. That will take time to change. Of course over 100 years ago, people were equally unaccepting of "horseless carriages" too, another unbelievable technology that is now as commonplace as the air we breathe (albeit less healthy, which is another reason I'm buying an EV).

This technology isn't predominately meant to make our lives easier and less stressful -- although it most certainly will -- it is meant to SAVE LIVES. Can you already imagine in say, 10 years, how much SAFER it will be on roads when probably 90% of vehicles are using even the basic Level 1 ADAS?! It will be akin to people driving magnet-cars that can't touch another because their electrons and poles are literally repellent! Insurance claims will trickle down to a miniscule fraction of what they are today and millions of people worldwide will still have their cherished loved ones to talk to because the technology will largely prevent them from dying on roads.

As someone who is going to pick up their 2024 i7 xDrive60 either in December or January, I can't then get overly excited about things. Since January, I've heard Level 3 will be available "later this year" on the i7 (and certainly on all 2024 models forward). However, this article I read today -- https://www.slashgear.com/1349270/bm...hway-autonomy/ -- states in part:

If you've just dropped more than $150,000 on something like a specced out BMW i7, and think all of this [Level 3] sounds amazing, we have some bad news. You'll need to purchase a completely new vehicle, with what is likely to be a very pricey optional extra, if you want to actually take advantage of BMW's upcoming Level 3 offering. As things stand, we don't have any exact pricing on the system — but we do know that it can't be retrofitted, and is not coming as standard.

Oh well...

Even though the technology is accepted here in California (and we are one of two states progressively advancing legislation on autonomous driving vehicles), I still don't believe we'll have true Level 3 driving here for a number of years still. Unequivocally however, there's no denying that LEVEL 3 IS COMING, and probably sooner than we thought! :-)

I AM though, a little chagrined that I'm already 66.... DOH! ;-)

Last edited by DroMike; 09-18-2023 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 07:00 PM   #4
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Car and Driver on the topic today, too

So will not work on 23s?

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a44713...ng-technology/
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 11:23 PM   #5
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Car and Driver on the topic today, too

So will not work on 23s?

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a44713...ng-technology/
It definitely won’t work as it depends on a LiDAR sensor (and others) not available on the 23s.

I’m doubtful it will be on the 24. MB is working on approval from various states, I haven’t heard of BMW working to get approval.

I wonder though how much it will matter with the drivers assist pro…is level 3 really much better than level 2+? Especially that it would only work up until like 40mph, so no benefit on the highway
Appreciate 1
ppagiga666.00
      08-03-2023, 03:58 AM   #6
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno View Post
It definitely won’t work as it depends on a LiDAR sensor (and others) not available on the 23s.

I’m doubtful it will be on the 24. MB is working on approval from various states, I haven’t heard of BMW working to get approval.

I wonder though how much it will matter with the drivers assist pro…is level 3 really much better than level 2+? Especially that it would only work up until like 40mph, so no benefit on the highway
Thank you -
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 03:18 PM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

As I understand it, level 3 is really changing who is responsible
The current level systems do for the most part a good job but you are most definitely in control
Level means that the car is in control but with you monitoring . Ie you are still the responsible person.
Appreciate 0