BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-02-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
Barca30D
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

BMW X5 F15 (2017) noise from headliner FIXED

Hello,
I recently bought a 2017 X5 and after a few minor tips & tricks I found on this forum, there is one thing I can't seem to solve.
When I drive >60kpmh (>40mph) and open one of the front windows, a clicking/popping noise is coming from (what sounds like the frond side of) the panoramic sunroof. It sounds a bit like there are pingpong balls bouncing on the roof.

I've searched the forums and found similar complaints, so so far i've:
- Cleaned all 4 water drains (2 front 2 in tailgate)
- Removed the 2 valves in tailgate drains
- Removed wind deflector alltogether (and remounted, as nothing changed)
- Taped all the gaps/seams on the sunroof on the outside with ducttape.
- Tried heater motor and AC on/off/high/low (nothing changes)

The only thing that seems to work is closing the sunscreen of the panoramic roof fully (sound is still present when it's open a little).
By touch, I've felt, pushed, pulled all around the headliner in the rails, gaps, seems, windows but can not get the sound to stop or even change a little bit anywhere.

I've uploaded a video that shows the sound:
https://youtube.com/shorts/Oo_aQHdl8aU?feature=share

Last edited by Barca30D; 08-04-2023 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: Fixed the problem
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 05:01 PM   #2
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Sounds like water in a tube with bubbles.
Could sunroof glass seals be loose or flapping with air blowing by? Does the sound go away as soon as you start sliding the glass open?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 11:37 PM   #3
Barca30D
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
Sounds like water in a tube with bubbles.
Could sunroof glass seals be loose or flapping with air blowing by? Does the sound go away as soon as you start sliding the glass open?
Yes it does go away then, but I tried to rule out those seals by duct taping all the sunroof seams on theroof. Nothing changed though.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 01:37 PM   #4
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

There is a SIB for it:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...66379-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 04:52 AM   #5
Barca30D
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
When I read this SB this morning I couldn't believe a bit of standing water could make such a loud sound, but it worked! I was very much hesitant of the work involved lowering the headliner, but it was fixed in less than 1 hour. Thank you!

I found the drain tube loose on both sides, exactly like in the SB. I removed the tube from the sunroofside and water came out, proving there was standing water in it.
Refitted that side with the zip-tie, pushed the other side back in flush, glued the grommet to the body side of the car and haven't heard a sound since.

I found it hard to find info on lowering the headliner so I just started, here is a quick guide for the next guy finding this problem:

- Remove door seal 3/4" around both driver and passenger side, no need for removing the plastic on the sill, just tuck the loose hanging rubber under the car for now.
- Remove the handles above the door: with plastic hooks, grab inside the little slot on the 2 mounting points and pull them straight out, requires medium force. Then with a small slotted screwdriver, pry the metal clips inside towards eachother, one by one is easiest, it will pop out quite easily, no force required.
- Remove the sunvisor, the top and bottom plastic covers on the hinge side pull straight out, be careful as they are brittle. Then pry the metal clips out same as the handle. On the other side of the visor, method is the same just only 1.
- Open the sunroof, on the front rail there are 4 small torx screws if you look from the roof down into it. Remove these 4, then you can pull the left and right side of the headliner gently loose, there are clips every +-6".
- Remove A-pillar covers: pry out the plastic "AIRBAG" clip to reveal a torx screw on both sides, remove this. Then pull it away from the roof down, there are 3 clips holding it. The lower part is then lifted out. Pulling it requires some force, be careful not to bend or damage it.

Doing this should give you enough room to lower the front of the headliner about 4", enough to see inside, get your hand in and apply the ziptie and refit the hose as per the SB.

This is how I found it on both sides:
Appreciate 0