BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-24-2023, 02:06 PM   #1
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Intermediate Steering Shaft Help

Has anyone here tightened all 3 bolts or removed and replaced the steering shaft before? I am thinking I might have a bolt loose due to a clunking noise I am experiencing (after eliminating all other suspension parts as suspects). I can just get to the bolt on u joint that connects steering shaft to the rack spindle. I am curious how to get to the u joint that connects to both the intermediate shaft and the steering column. There is a bolt on the firewall side (shaft side) that I want to check for tightness but there are a lot of items in the way. I can get to the bolt on the column side via the access through the footwell.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 07:37 AM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

im pretty sure that bolt by the firewall you can get to with a 1/4 swivel and e10 plus a few extensions.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 08:22 AM   #3
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks!

After digging some more last night I realized it is findable after taking off the cabin filters and the trim piece beneath the filters. It is a tight squeeze however. My 3/8" drive E10 bit on a couple of wobble extensions was a little too wide to get in there. I am going pick up a 1/4" drive E10 Saturday to see if it does the trick.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 04:11 PM   #4
E92Adan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by For3 View Post
Has anyone here tightened all 3 bolts or removed and replaced the steering shaft before? I am thinking I might have a bolt loose due to a clunking noise I am experiencing (after eliminating all other suspension parts as suspects). I can just get to the bolt on u joint that connects steering shaft to the rack spindle. I am curious how to get to the u joint that connects to both the intermediate shaft and the steering column. There is a bolt on the firewall side (shaft side) that I want to check for tightness but there are a lot of items in the way. I can get to the bolt on the column side via the access through the footwell.

Thanks in advance.
I think im having the same issue, does the clunk happen when you go over a bump or off a bump? Send a video if you have one please.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 10:51 PM   #5
For3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

After checking a lot things with no luck and replacing my end links to no avail (control arms replaced 8 months earlier) and installing Ohlins R&T, I did all could think and I took it to my Indy for a diagnosis. They diagnosed it as a steering rack going bad.

DIY’d today with some help and also swapped the steering shaft just in case. Clunking noise is gone. It’s so much better. Couldn’t believe the amount of noise I would get on certain pavement conditions in the cabin. I checked my steering rack and u joint I ou,led and they seemed ok.

FYI there are some videos on YouTube for steering rack replacement (fcp euro on 328i) which isn’t exactly the same but is helpful to reference. Took 6 hours. Saved a little over 1100 dollars doing it myself but it was a solid 6;hour job running into a coupe of roadblocks.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 11:26 PM   #6
E92Adan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by For3 View Post
After checking a lot things with no luck and replacing my end links to no avail (control arms replaced 8 months earlier) and installing Ohlins R&T, I did all could think and I took it to my Indy for a diagnosis. They diagnosed it as a steering rack going bad.

DIY’d today with some help and also swapped the steering shaft just in case. Clunking noise is gone. It’s so much better. Couldn’t believe the amount of noise I would get on certain pavement conditions in the cabin. I checked my steering rack and u joint I ou,led and they seemed ok.

FYI there are some videos on YouTube for steering rack replacement (fcp euro on 328i) which isn’t exactly the same but is helpful to reference. Took 6 hours. Saved a little over 1100 dollars doing it myself but it was a solid 6;hour job running into a coupe of roadblocks.

Good luck!
Can you PM me your number or insta so I can send a video of mine, to see if yours sounded similar I guess. Here is a video I found to what it kinda sounds like, but literally only hear it over bumps and it just sounds like something hitting/making impact. https://youtube.com/shorts/2svXvAQpx...1YMLl_8LaUutjI
Appreciate 0