09-19-2023, 11:12 PM   #1
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15 50i msport

Remove the top speed limiter from X5 50i F15

Hi Everyone,

Bought the 2015 X5 50i with Msport package but chose 19 inch wheels instead so i don't have switch from summer to winter. Those 20 inch tires cost a lot for run flats.
But that would limit the top speed. I really don't care and don't even drive that fast. But i want to remove this top speed limiter which would mean bigger wheels, "YES!!!Finally would have staggered wheels"
So need guidance on how to do this. Once European service center said $2,800 for tuning your engine ecu / ecm for more torque and power. I said no and that i just want to remove the limiter. He said it will still cost the same even without engine tune.

Can someone help me here

Thanks in advance
Piyush
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 05:51 AM   #2
meds1976
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 M50i

Garage List
What does removing the top speed limiter have to do with getting bigger wheels?

Or am I missing something here?
Appreciate 1
jiggz2152.00
      09-20-2023, 09:48 AM   #3
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

I’m so confused.
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2023, 10:29 AM   #4
NotoriousSingh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5 50i

I need two of whatever your on
Appreciate 3
jiggz2152.00
50iXman34.00
      09-20-2023, 10:38 AM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Lots of funny responses here, but I'll try to help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush128k View Post
But that would limit the top speed. I really don't care and don't even drive fast.
Why do you care about removing the limiter if you don't even drive that fast?

Quote:
But i want to remove this top speed limiter which would mean bigger wheels, "YES!!!Finally would have staggered wheels"
No it doesn't. Not sure where you heard this. Your X5 doesn't care if it's wearing 19, 20, or 21" wheels, it will reach speeds you are not comfortable with and unsafe for public roads, without removing the limiter.

Quote:
So need guidance on how to do this.
If you're set on removing the speed limiter, even for reasons that make no sense, you need to research N63TU tunes. I responded to your other thread regarding Dinan, their software doesn't remove the limiter per their site, but there's many other options. Use the search feature on this forum, lots of info exists.

Quote:
Once European service center said $2,800 for tuning your engine ecu / ecm for more torque and power. I said no and that i just want to remove the limiter. He said it will still cost the same even without engine tune.
Whatever service center this was, never go there again, they have no idea what they're talking about.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2023, 03:52 PM   #6
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

if OP is referring to load rating on tires then that is another thing... HOWEVER, i dont believe there is a drastic difference in speed/load range rated tires (19-20") to warrant/justify/rationalize removing the speed limiter. That just seems ridiculous on this chassis.
      09-21-2023, 02:57 AM   #7
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Lots of funny responses here, but I'll try to help...

Why do you care about removing the limiter if you don't even drive that fast?

No it doesn't. Not sure where you heard this. Your X5 doesn't care if it's wearing 19, 20, or 21" wheels, it will reach speeds you are not comfortable with and unsafe for public roads, without removing the limiter.

If you're set on removing the speed limiter, even for reasons that make no sense, you need to research N63TU tunes. I responded to your other thread regarding Dinan, their software doesn't remove the limiter per their site, but there's many other options. Use the search feature on this forum, lots of info exists.

Whatever service center this was, never go there again, they have no idea what they're talking about.
So it does seem that to remove the top speed limiter, i would have to spend that money and maybe still not get the ecu tuned. I am more comfortable with Dinan chip tuning instead. You can remove it and default to factory settings but since mine is a 2015 model, not sure if it is recommended to use Dinan chip now.

With the smaller tire 19 inch selection during design config, though i chose msport package, i lost the Mbrakes and the bigger rotors as I chose 19 inch. At that time all season tires did not come in 20 inch which they now do.
You cannot drive this monster fast now with the 19 inch even on a race track cause the 19 inch tires will not be able to take that heat being generated so the manufacturer puts in a governor / top speed limiter hence you get the silver grills in the X5 unless u choose luxury trim. Less i knew about all this at that time.
Removing the top speed limiter, would allow me to bump to 20 or 21 inch wheels with run flat tires that can take higher temp if you drive at those speeds. Well in a day to day basis, you cant exceed 70 on free way but its just a feeling to know that the limiter is off. Even if i am unable to remove limiter, my 0 to 60 still remains the same. It is important to know the tire sidewall reading and their thresholds.
One would get confused if they did not know.

thanks to all who replied.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 09:52 AM   #8
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

The speed limiter does nothing but raise the max speed allowed in DME. If you get M sport and opt for larger wheels with HIGHER SPEED RATED tires which may or may not get you bigger brakes then then BMW is safe to raise the speed limit and not have it at a higher speed than the tires they place on vehicle at manufacture not having a lower speed rating than the max speed they have allowed vehicle to reach. The larger wheels allow clearance around caliper for the larger brake package. Cooling is likely positively impacted but caliper clearance is usually the reason. It can be the reason for things you'd never consider like plastic shipping covers placed over brakes to stop salt water from blowing onto brakes and causing massive rotor rust and subsequent fouling of rotor when brake pads sit on wet rotor with salt water. Vehicles go to a port and sit for a few days and then get on a ship and sit for 2 weeks and then get offloaded and sit in a lot at a port for a few days. Any storms with wind can reach brakes through large open wheel designs and cause the problem. X5s are built in South Carolina and exported instead of coming from Dingolfing plant but the risks are still there for brake issues from circumstances during shipping. BMW may be using on wheel face plastic covers these days as those are cheaper if they afford enough protection.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 10:19 AM   #9
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
So it does seem that to remove the top speed limiter, i would have to spend that money and maybe still not get the ecu tuned. I am more comfortable with Dinan chip tuning instead. You can remove it and default to factory settings but since mine is a 2015 model, not sure if it is recommended to use Dinan chip now.

With the smaller tire 19 inch selection during design config, though i chose msport package, i lost the Mbrakes and the bigger rotors as I chose 19 inch. At that time all season tires did not come in 20 inch which they now do.
You cannot drive this monster fast now with the 19 inch even on a race track cause the 19 inch tires will not be able to take that heat being generated so the manufacturer puts in a governor / top speed limiter hence you get the silver grills in the X5 unless u choose luxury trim. Less i knew about all this at that time.
Removing the top speed limiter, would allow me to bump to 20 or 21 inch wheels with run flat tires that can take higher temp if you drive at those speeds. Well in a day to day basis, you cant exceed 70 on free way but its just a feeling to know that the limiter is off. Even if i am unable to remove limiter, my 0 to 60 still remains the same. It is important to know the tire sidewall reading and their thresholds.
One would get confused if they did not know.

thanks to all who replied.
I'm not sure we can help you at this point, you're sorta all over the place.

Again, the Dinan software doesn't touch the speed limiter, which seems to be what you're most concerned about.

You also didn't lose 'Mbrakes' when you opted for 19" wheels. There was no brake upgrade by magically choosing 20's. F15 brake setups are identical within a certain sub-model (35i, 50i) regardless if you chose the M sport package or not. There are differences between the stock 35i and 50i brake setups, but neither have 'Mbrakes' - I don't know where you get your information from. There is an M performance brake kit available through BMW, but you could not add this to your build configuration, it had to be purchased separately after purchase. Again, this is for your 50i, the X5M did come with a BBK.

BTW, there are a lot of people on this forum with OEM 20 and 21" setups and most don't have any software tuning/speed limiter removal (myself included).

Just get the 20's (or 21's would be my suggestion) and stop worrying about it, you'll be fine.

And if you want the M Performance brake kit, you can still purchase:
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...b3J5IFBhZ2U%3D

Last edited by jiggz; 09-21-2023 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
shimmy232356.00
      09-21-2023, 11:46 AM   #10
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

OP it sound like you are very confused with multiple different options. Every single item you mention has nothing to do with speed limiter, I don't even know where in the world you find all this information or how can you misinterpret it so badly.Let's set things straight here:
First is the speed limiter part- during original production of F15 when you were adding M-sport package with 20 inch rims, your car was automatically coded to option 840 which would increase maximum speed allowed by DME. You can read more about it here:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1100387

Second-wheel size has nothing to do with the DME and coding, you can use 18, 19,20,21 or 22 inch wheels on your car and it will not change anything max speed wise or "downgrade" anything.

Third-wheel size has nothing to do with brakes or brake performance, except if you have MPBK smaller wheels or spares might not be able to clear the calipers. That's it. Once again- you are not loosing anything and nothing is getting "downgraded" if you put different wheels.

Fourth- if you don't need a tune and don't drive fast, just pick whatever wheel size you want and enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 4
      09-21-2023, 04:33 PM   #11
meds1976
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 M50i

Garage List
Guy posted a similar thread back in 2017.

Still confused after 6 years?
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2023, 08:32 PM   #12
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

This thread hurts my head. You can put 20 or 21 Inch wheels, without doing anything else.
Do you really need to drive 150mph?
Appreciate 2
      09-22-2023, 04:28 AM   #13
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

i think u r correct. i can still spend the money upgrading the wheels and M brakes or i can upgrade but not do the m brakes? Speed limiter well like i said, i want it off and yes dinan will not remove but spedning a good 3k or slightly less will but then i can just spend that money on the wheels and tires instead. Do you suggest doing m brakes with the 20 or 21 inch wheels and rotors. Are there any pics with F1 with 20 and 21 inch wheels so i can compare.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 11:42 AM   #14
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

There's lot of information on the m brakes if you search.
Example : https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1178827

But if you're happy with the way the brakes work now, then you don't really need to change them, because of the bigger wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 11:54 AM   #15
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

does OP even read the posts here?
      09-22-2023, 12:28 PM   #16
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
i think u r correct. i can still spend the money upgrading the wheels and M brakes or i can upgrade but not do the m brakes? Speed limiter well like i said, i want it off and yes dinan will not remove but spedning a good 3k or slightly less will but then i can just spend that money on the wheels and tires instead. Do you suggest doing m brakes with the 20 or 21 inch wheels and rotors. Are there any pics with F1 with 20 and 21 inch wheels so i can compare.
How many times you reached 155 mph speed limit in your X5 so far? I think you are obsessed speed limiter existence. Dinan tune or not I doubt you will ever hit that limit, but it's your money so you can spend it any way you like. You can do M brakes with any size of rim you like, as far as calipers got enough clearance. Plenty of pictures here with 20,21 ans 22 inch rims. Just user search function.
Appreciate 2
      09-22-2023, 01:29 PM   #17
Xolinlevh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

You want to run 20s or 21s? Fine put them on. Thats it. Done. No need for a tune, no need for upgrading your brakes, nothing. You can just put them on and thats it.
Appreciate 3
shimmy232356.00
jiggz2152.00
      10-15-2023, 01:22 AM   #18
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

meds1976 Yes! :-D...lol

Last edited by piyush128k; 10-15-2023 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: name
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 01:25 AM   #19
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

i think we can close this thread ( i am not sure how to) I guess i dont need to get speed limiter removed and spend so much money though i would want to do so. Oh well.
Appreciate 0