R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-01-2023, 11:06 PM   #1
F82ish
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2001 BMW Z3  [9.25]
2018 BMW M4 Base  [10.00]
first problem with my M

HELP! Please!

So, after running a custom flex fuel tune and religiously beating on the car (while keeping 100% on top of my maintenance), I had my first hiccup(s) today. Here is a video of what happened, you’ll have to listen closely for the crank up sounds.

What happened:
  • Started car with e70 blend, drove 10 miles, topped off up with E to result in a e78 mix.
  • Drove 25 miles, turned the car off, and tried to turn it back on about 20 minutes later. When I tried to turn it on, it cranked but wouldn’t start. I tried 2 more times, and on the 3rd try it started roughly.
  • After it turned on, I had my foot on the gas around where 50% throttle would be, and the car stuttered heavily for a few seconds until finally revving up and idling. Checked under the hood for any gas smell in case an injector got stuck, and there was nothing out of the ordinary. Ran diagnostics on it and had no error codes.
  • The idle was healthy, and drivability wasn’t effected whatsoever. Did a few pulls with normal driving and i had zero issues.
  • I parked at the next spot, and when I was leaving I went to turn my car on— it was fine. Started right up.
  • I drove another 20 miles, parked and was getting a video of my car, and it shut off while idling. When I turned it back on, it did the same cranking thing again. This time it turned on with the 4th try. Ran diagnostics on it again and still had no error codes.
  • Went another 15 miles, absolutely ZERO issues while driving, and then turned my car off. Got some lunch, and when I was leaving it turned on first try.
  • Drove home, parked, and when I started my car to put it in the garage it started up just fine again.

There wasn’t any misfires, nor error codes for anything. My plugs are OEM f8s plugs gapped at 0.019. I have been running this for 2k miles without ever experiencing something like this.

The only thing I could think of as a possible cause is this:
  • I’m running the bend fuel filter only kit. I went into my shop for an oil change 2 days ago, and when I got it done the shop threw in the replacement ID F750 fuel filter. Is it possible that they didn’t install it properly or installed the filter backwards/upside down and that’s what’s causing this?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated before I order a new lpfp. I can datalog tomorrow morning and see what shows up
Appreciate 0