BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-26-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4 - Austin Yellow

TIME has finally come

I Will be going to pick up an 2008 m3 this coming tuesday. I just found out that between the two cars i was looking at, one has edc and one doesn't.

I've done a search on the forum but really couldn't get a solid comparison.

Im looking at a m3 sedan with edc, or a m3 coupe without edc. Is EDC that big of difference so that i just get the sedan with it or just go with the coupe.

Besides that, the options on the car is pretty much identical.

I don't plan on taking the car to the track but would take some spirited drives through some twisties.

Also, does getting navigation give you mdrive as well? is it possible to have navigation but no m-drive?

Last edited by penny31; 01-26-2009 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: Addition
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Dct Coupe

Well you definetly can tell the difference when edc is on. It all comes down to whether it is something you need to have. It also depends on which body style you like more. For me I would rather have the body styling I like rather than choosing between edc or not. If you like the coupe choose that and dont look back. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 03:35 AM   #3
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Without technology package you get no M drive, and no sport steering setting

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 03:55 AM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

yes, you can have Nav without Mdrive. You need Tech package (which includes Nav) for Mdrive. Still, it is possible to have Nav as standalone without MDrive. Check the options sheets for both cars so you can decide.

You can feel the difference with EDC, but I think most would say it is not a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
samM376'
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

I like EDC but its also not the greatest thing in the world. Worse comes to worse aftermarket could fix your suspension woes later on

Idrive and Mdrive are a bigger dealbreaker for me. I totally prefer the M3 to have those. Especially because you're not going to the track.
I know it makes the car less of a purist sports car, but its a GT car.
Get what you want and don't change your mind. I would say Coupe vs. Sedan is the bigger concern. If you just settle you will never be happy with your choice

http://chitownm.com
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny31 View Post
Also, does getting navigation give you mdrive as well? is it possible to have navigation but no m-drive?
No, navigation definitely does not give you M-Drive. The only way to get MDrive is to get the Technology Package (ZTP).

Quote:
I Will be going to pick up an 2008 m3 this coming tuesday. I just found out that between the two cars i was looking at, one has edc and one doesn't.

Besides that, the options on the car is pretty much identical.
Are you positive the two are "pretty much identical"?

The car with no EDC cannot have ZTP and therefore cannot have MDrive either. But you also mention navigation, above. If both cars are really identical and both have navigation (as you imply above, but don't come out and state directly) that means both cars were ordered with the stand alone nav option, and the one car was also ordered with stand alone EDC. This is all plausible, but not necessarily likely. Very few cars get ordered with Nav standalone and EDC standalone because the cost of the two options together comes out to almost the same price as ZTP, and the latter makes a lot more sense since in comparison you basically get Comfort Access and MDrive for free. Therefore, it seems likely that the car with EDC actually has ZTP, which, if true, would mean that it actually has quite a few more features than the other car without EDC.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep

yes thats correct but i really don't care for most of the options on tech package but now i have to decide whether i want a coupe with tech, or a sedan wit it.

The coupe does however come with navigation

which would you guys pick and why

thanks everyone!

QUOTE=mkoesel;4346797]No, navigation definitely does not give you M-Drive. The only way to get MDrive is to get the Technology Package (ZTP).

Are you positive the two are "pretty much identical"?

The car with no EDC cannot have ZTP and therefore cannot have MDrive either. But you also mention navigation, above. If both cars are really identical and both have navigation (as you imply above, but don't come out and state directly) that means both cars were ordered with the stand alone nav option, and the one car was also ordered with stand alone EDC. This is all plausible, but not necessarily likely. Very few cars get ordered with Nav standalone and EDC standalone because the cost of the two options together comes out to almost the same price as ZTP, and the latter makes a lot more sense since in comparison you basically get Comfort Access and MDrive for free. Therefore, it seems likely that the car with EDC actually has ZTP, which, if true, would mean that it actually has quite a few more features than the other car without EDC.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by penny31; 01-26-2009 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Addition
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
yes thats correct but i really don't care for most of the options on tech package but now i have to decide whether i want a coupe without tech, or a sedan with it.

The coupe does however come with navigation

which would you guys pick and why

thanks everyone!
Hopefully I've correctly interpreted your words above with the bold text.

Tough call. My car has neither ZTP nor EDC nor Nav, so I can tell you that the car is still amazing even without all the bells and whistles of ZTP.

In your case, though, you're already paying the 2k for nav either way, so the step up to the ZTP is not really that much. Comfort Access in particular is great to have. Plus, there is the added utility of the extra doors and seat with the sedan. So, I'd probably pick the sedan. If I were to buy a non-E93 M3, it would probably be a sedan too (to replace the 335i ).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep

yes you did correct my mistakes ^, thank you. I didn't order the car, it is just a leftover from the 2008's.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

My car is a fully loaded coupe and the only 2 things Im missing are the EDC and the Upgraded sound system. I have I drive and Mdrive with the button on the steering wheel.

As someone else mentionned the clincher for me was the coupe WAY over the sedan . 2 COMPLETELY different looks .
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
My car is a fully loaded coupe and the only 2 things Im missing are the EDC and the Upgraded sound system. I have I drive and Mdrive with the button on the steering wheel.

As someone else mentionned the clincher for me was the coupe WAY over the sedan . 2 COMPLETELY different looks .
how do you have m-drive without the tech package? Don't they only come together? because i know M-drive doesn't come as an individual option

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
MachineDriver
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

M3 Montreal is in Canada which has (I assume) different option packages. The coupe and sedan are very similar in the way they drive. EDC is not a gimmick: it works very nicely. MDM is IMO essential because it lets you really drive the car way harder than DSC will allow but still gives you a safety net which is nice on public roads. ZTP is pretty important. It would be the deal breaker for me.
      01-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

EDC would be a deal breaker for me too. My car is fully loaded and I have the EDC as well. My car is a US car but here in Canada the EDC option is a stand alone option priced at $2000.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #14
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

i think the more important decision here is Sedan vs. Coupe. That said, I happen to love EDC and ALL the other bells and whistles my e92 came with.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post

Did you pick your car up at Canbec?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #16
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou View Post
Did you pick your car up at Canbec?
Yes I did .

Since I dont have EDC I was figuring I would eventually change the suspension so it didnt bother me not having it . I am looking at "power" mods first such as header back exhaust, pulley, scoop and filter for the time being.

P.S. youyou, are you going to the montreal luncheon at firegrill on the 6th? If so I may meet you there . So far my agenda is free for that day .
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #17
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep

What is in place of the "m" button the steering wheel since i won't be having m drive?

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #18
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineDriver View Post
M3 Montreal is in Canada which has (I assume) different option packages. The coupe and sedan are very similar in the way they drive. EDC is not a gimmick: it works very nicely. MDM is IMO essential because it lets you really drive the car way harder than DSC will allow but still gives you a safety net which is nice on public roads. ZTP is pretty important. It would be the deal breaker for me.
I wasnt aware you needed Nav/i drive to have MDM. I thought it would be accessible through a button. MDM is an AMAZING option . I drive with it on all the time. DSC on is WAY too lame and DSC off is scary in the city.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #19
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

coupe if you're a boy

sedan if you're a man

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #20
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep

Without tech-package do i still get the power button?... oh so many questions..

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #21
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Without tech-package do i still get the power button?... oh so many questions..
no

shouldn't you know what you're buying before you spend ~$60,000?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #22
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep

Well most of the cars ive looked at had Tech package, so i wasn't aware if some of the things such as the power button came w/o the tech package .

Appreciate 0