BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
bakuretsu
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2009 128i Coupe

iPhone (2G) + BMW MP3 Player = Does work!

This is my first post! I've had my 128i for only about a week now, too, and it's my first BMW, so forgive me if I repeat anything that's quite obvious, I did search and have been reading 1addicts on this topic for a while...

So here I am, pulling my hair out for days reading posts here and on other forums discussing how well the BMW MP3 player works with various folks' iPhones while mine could never read any tracks.

At first I thought it was because I have the first generation iPhone (non-3G), but even the BMW documentation itself lists that version as compatible as long as it's running firmware 2.1+, so that couldn't be it.

But I figured it out!

I never found the answer here so I am posting this in the hopes that it will help someone else out who runs into this same (apparently rare) situation.

Because I keep my work e-mail, personal e-mail, and a lot of financial information on my iPhone, I had set a security code. For those who haven't played with it, it's a four-digit code that you have to enter every time you unlock the phone. Yes, it's kind of annoying, but it's peace of mind for me considering the volume of my life that is stored inside this thing.

When I plug my iPhone into the car and choose iPod, it simply says something like "No Tracks Found." However, if I open up the iPod application on the phone and play a song, it does play through the car speakers. Still, no track information is displayed.

What you have to do is turn off the access code from the Settings application, unplug the phone from the car, and plug it back in again. Then, finally, it will work just as expected.

I already ordered a refurbished 16GB Nano to use exclusively in the car, so I guess it's not the world's biggest problem for me, but if anyone has run into this problem, that's why!
Appreciate 0