BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
YearONE1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Can I upgrade to DSP?

Hey guys. Just wondering if I can upgrade my hi-fi (10-speaker) system to the logic-7 with DSP. After reading the HK PDF file, it says the "The digital TOP-HiFi amplifier is a bus participant in the MOST network. The Top-HiFi amplifier can only be used with a MOST-compatible radio." So it seems I need to find out if I have a MOST-compatible radio.

To be honest, I have only had the car for a week, and all I know is it says "professional" on it. No idea what that means. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
neteagle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MBM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearONE1 View Post
Hey guys. Just wondering if I can upgrade my hi-fi (10-speaker) system to the logic-7 with DSP. After reading the HK PDF file, it says the "The digital TOP-HiFi amplifier is a bus participant in the MOST network. The Top-HiFi amplifier can only be used with a MOST-compatible radio." So it seems I need to find out if I have a MOST-compatible radio.

To be honest, I have only had the car for a week, and all I know is it says "professional" on it. No idea what that means. Any thoughts?
To be honest with you, I have DSP and never use it. It does not sound very good...kinda trashes the dynamic range and clutters the spectrum with fake reverb and reflections...

...my 2 cents...YMMV.

'11 335i Le Mans Blue, Saddle, Dark Glacier, Manual, M-Sport, Premium, CA, Harman Kardon, Heated Seats, iPod, High Beam assist, 35% tint, Stone-X, BMW Performance Exhaust, Shadow Grill, CF competition spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
YearONE1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neteagle View Post
To be honest with you, I have DSP and never use it. It does not sound very good...kinda trashes the dynamic range and clutters the spectrum with fake reverb and reflections...

...my 2 cents...YMMV.
Really? I have heard a lot of good things about it. I'm not just looking for the addition of the 7th channel (even though it is simulated), but the DSP/Logic-7 amp puts out more power to the speakers.

Which leads me to another question. Since the DSP amp is run off of a digial optical signal from the head unit, and the standard hi-fi is an analog signal, if I CAN'T upgrade to the DSP amp, do any companies offer a direct replacement amp that provides more power?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearONE1 View Post
Really? I have heard a lot of good things about it. I'm not just looking for the addition of the 7th channel (even though it is simulated), but the DSP/Logic-7 amp puts out more power to the speakers.

Which leads me to another question. Since the DSP amp is run off of a digial optical signal from the head unit, and the standard hi-fi is an analog signal, if I CAN'T upgrade to the DSP amp, do any companies offer a direct replacement amp that provides more power?
There are a number of people who have done this with different amps, search around this Topic.

Personally I do like the L7 "Cinema" setting, it gives a nice wide soundscape which I appreciate. The other nice part is the multiband EQ.
      06-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
YearONE1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, I just pulled back the truck carpet to have a look at the amp. I found something interesting...a wire connector not hooked up to anything. After pulling off the protective sheeth it is in, it appears to me to be an optical sytle cable. Could this be my MOST cable? If so, I think I struck gold.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
YearONE1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just did a search on this...doesn't look like it is possible since it requires reprogramming the H/U. Oh well.
Appreciate 0