BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
pdxlager
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330xi, X3, 135i

iPhone/Smartphone snap-in adapter info

I went from the original iPhone to the new 3G S that came out last week, and thought it was time to get the snap-in adaptor:

Apple iPhone 3G USB Snap In Adapter for BMW Smart Phone (PN: 84 21 2 151 043) for $175.00

Picked it up today and realized you also need the "6NF optional smartphone base" otherwise there's nothing for the $175 part above to fit into (unless it was already available in your vehicle when you purchased it.)

According to Rasmussen BMW parts dept, there is only ONE 6NF available in the US (somewhere on the east coast) but 200+ in Germany. So, hopefully I'll get mine in 5+ days and can post photos of the DIY install.

I'll note that they have not yet installed this for any 135i, and at first did not think it existed--until I provided the part number above, found on the accessories.bmwusa.com Web site:

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/Access...px?modelId=444

Anyway, I've found little detailed information on the Web about this (specific to the 135i) so I'm posting this here and hope to update later with photos, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

Honestly, save your money and your time. I got the dealer to throw the adapter and the smart phone prep for free when I bought the car. So glad I did not pay for it.

Still get the "accessory not designed to work with iphone" message when I plug the phone in, reception is no better, and the audio quality is not as good as with the regular usb adapter, so basically all it does is charge the phone. There is another thread on here also highlighting the many shortcomings of this accessory. Might be worth a read.

Good Luck

TJ
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxlager View Post
I went from the original iPhone to the new 3G S that came out last week, and thought it was time to get the snap-in adaptor:

Apple iPhone 3G USB Snap In Adapter for BMW Smart Phone (PN: 84 21 2 151 043) for $175.00

Picked it up today and realized you also need the "6NF optional smartphone base" otherwise there's nothing for the $175 part above to fit into (unless it was already available in your vehicle when you purchased it.)

According to Rasmussen BMW parts dept, there is only ONE 6NF available in the US (somewhere on the east coast) but 200+ in Germany. So, hopefully I'll get mine in 5+ days and can post photos of the DIY install.

I'll note that they have not yet installed this for any 135i, and at first did not think it existed--until I provided the part number above, found on the accessories.bmwusa.com Web site:

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/Access...px?modelId=444

Anyway, I've found little detailed information on the Web about this (specific to the 135i) so I'm posting this here and hope to update later with photos, etc.
There's no OEM retrofit available for the Smartphone/6NF factory option, this is more than a snap in/baseplate and plugging it all in together. It is a separate USB connection, with a priority switching with the 6FL USB module thru hardware/software. So this is the incorrect snap in and your parts department ordered an useless and incorrect baseplate for your car.

They should have known this as it has been announced since the 6NF introduction: this is a factory option only, no accessory retrofit available.

The correct snap in and baseplate for your car is the non-6NF accessory, the regular phone snap in accessory for the iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
macleod135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Does the non-6NF snap in adapter connect the car to the usb/audio in so that the iPhone can charge and play music like normal? Also, how hard is it to install and where do the cables go to get into the armrest (if there are cables to connect it to usb/audio in)?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #5
pdxlager
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330xi, X3, 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The correct snap in and baseplate for your car is the non-6NF accessory, the regular phone snap in accessory for the iPhone.
Oooof. That would have been good to know a week ago. You wouldn't happen to have a part number for that would you? I can't seem to find anything and it's obvious the parts department is learning as they go as well....

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxlager View Post
Oooof. That would have been good to know a week ago. You wouldn't happen to have a part number for that would you? I can't seem to find anything and it's obvious the parts department is learning as they go as well....

Thanks.
The 3G iPhone snap-in for non-6NF is P/N 84 21 2 151 038 ($93.56 at Tischer BMW, sponsor of this forum), baseplate is P/N 84 10 9 160 935 ($118.34) for the 135i.

I strongly advise you to double check these P/N with a dealer other than the one that ordered the incorrect parts. These P/N are from www.realoem.com/bmw and they are behind the latest P/N updates for at least 5 months, so changes to these P/N could be possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod135 View Post
Does the non-6NF snap in adapter connect the car to the usb/audio in so that the iPhone can charge and play music like normal? Also, how hard is it to install and where do the cables go to get into the armrest (if there are cables to connect it to usb/audio in)?
No, that's the 6NF option itself. The regular snap-in only charges the iPhone and -arguably- connects the iPhone to the OEM cell antenna in the sharkfin for better reception. That's it.

The connection harness is located under the parking brake boot; installing the baseplate/eject box and the snap-in with that harness in the center console is a 15 minute job.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
macleod135
Private First Class
Rep

So what do I need to buy to install the regular snap in adapter? Is it just the snap in adapter or do I need to buy the baseplate/eject box? If I need to buy those, where do I get them or what is the part number? Thanks for you help!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So what do I need to buy to install the regular snap in adapter? Is it just the snap in adapter or do I need to buy the baseplate/eject box? If I need to buy those, where do I get them or what is the part number? Thanks for you help!
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...08&postcount=6
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The 3G iPhone snap-in for non-6NF is P/N 84 21 2 151 038 ($93.56 at Tischer BMW, sponsor of this forum), baseplate is P/N 84 10 9 160 935 ($118.34) for the 135i.

I strongly advise you to double check these P/N with a dealer other than the one that ordered the incorrect parts. These P/N are from www.realoem.com/bmw and they are behind the latest P/N updates for at least 5 months, so changes to these P/N could be possible.
where does this exactly go? inside the arm rest?
Exterior Bling| Kerscher splitter |
Interior Bling | Bimmian pedals | 3P Cars gauage |
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
+1

i just got my iphone and i want a cradle setup to charge it. i don't really care for playing music from my iphone so i'm going with the standard snap in adaptor. also my car does not have the 6NF option from factory as we didn't have that option when we ordered. do i need anything else? install?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #12
Macca916
Private
England
Rep
Drives: X6 XDrive35D

Garage List
Having a 3gs I was ready to go down the path of attempting to fit the cradle into the arm rest then I realised that a large part of iPhone features would be lost as it's not easily viewed or accessed in the oem location. For me it's all the driving related apps that make the iPhone require a more line of sight location such as satnav etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #13
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

So I picked up my snap in adaptor for my iPhone 3GS today. Very easy to install, just remove the plastic try and it clicks straight in. The smart phone integration option was not available as an option from factory when I ordered the car so I am not able to play music from my iphone 3GS. You need to have specified this option from factory if you want to use this function.

It does however sit in the arm rest very nicely and it charges my iphone which is all I wanted it for. I have a 32GB flash stick plugged into the USB slot which I leave in the car permanently and it plays all my music flawlessly and has more than enough space. This works well for me as I never plan to leave my iphone in the car and if somebody ever breaks into my car all they will steal is my USB stick which can be easily replaced.

There was no 'warning message' or 'airplane mode' message when I plugged it in, the snap in adaptor works a charm. Very happy with the purchase and I recommend it to anyone who needs a dedicated place to put their iphone and keep it charged while driving. I am yet to properly test out the sound and reception quality because I'm told by using the snap in adaptor it uses the cars external antenna. I made a quick call and it doesn't seem any better, which isn't a bad thing because it worked fine before.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Nicky G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i (M Sport, Premium)

That's a relief, knowing it definitely charges the phone (I have a 3GS). I did order my 135i with Smartphone integration, sounds like it will be very slick! Thanks for the mini-review.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #15
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

ordering tomorrow with smartphone integration for my iphone

If I understand correctly there's an iphone-specific adapter required... Is it for software compatibilty? Or just to physically mount the phone?
2010 135i Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Red Leather | Poplar Grey Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium pack | M Sport pack | Heated Seats | HK Premium sound | USB | Smartphone integration | Automatic high beams
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
It's just to mount the phone.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMINI View Post
If I understand correctly there's an iphone-specific adapter required... Is it for software compatibilty? Or just to physically mount the phone?
The snap in adaptor is the term used for the cradle or dock used to mount your phone. It's the actual piece of plastic that goes in your armrest that allows you to click your phone into it. Without this you would have an empty space in your center arm rest.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #18
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

OK, my car (when it arrives) is configured with BMW Assist/Bluetooth, the 6FL iPod/USB Adapter and 6NF Smartphone Integration options. To paraphrase the accessories catalog, my expectation is that this will enable me to charge the phone, access music or MP3 files and connect to the roof mounted telephone antenna for improved cellular reception.

So far, so good...

The accessories catalog goes on to say that "The adapter also provides a safe and secure place to dock your Smart Phone while driving and will charge your phone battery when the vehicle is running."

This is where I'm looking for some first hand experience. My specific question is around iphone covers and whether there are any covers that are compatible with the snap-in adapter. The pix and description make it seem likely that only the slimmest of covers would have a chance of fitting into the snap-in adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
The snap in adaptor is the term used for the cradle or dock used to mount your phone. It's the actual piece of plastic that goes in your armrest that allows you to click your phone into it. Without this you would have an empty space in your center arm rest.
I guess I need a better understanding of the "empty space". If I can find an alternative approach for securing the iphone, will I be able to plug in without the snap-in adapter? And, will I still get all the benefits?
2010 135i Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Red Leather | Poplar Grey Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium pack | M Sport pack | Heated Seats | HK Premium sound | USB | Smartphone integration | Automatic high beams
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 02:31 AM   #19
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMINI View Post
OK, my car (when it arrives) is configured with BMW Assist/Bluetooth, the 6FL iPod/USB Adapter and 6NF Smartphone Integration options. To paraphrase the accessories catalog, my expectation is that this will enable me to charge the phone, access music or MP3 files and connect to the roof mounted telephone antenna for improved cellular reception.

So far, so good...

The accessories catalog goes on to say that "The adapter also provides a safe and secure place to dock your Smart Phone while driving and will charge your phone battery when the vehicle is running."

This is where I'm looking for some first hand experience. My specific question is around iphone covers and whether there are any covers that are compatible with the snap-in adapter. The pix and description make it seem likely that only the slimmest of covers would have a chance of fitting into the snap-in adapter.

I guess I need a better understanding of the "empty space". If I can find an alternative approach for securing the iphone, will I be able to plug in without the snap-in adapter? And, will I still get all the benefits?
Mate the snap in adaptor is exactly what it is... you snap your iphone into the snap in adaptor. Is this your first BMW? If so, in all BMW's there is a leather arm rest in the centre which acts as a centre console and it can open up. Inside you fit your snap in adaptor, otherwise it is 2 empty spaces which you can use to store whatever, coins etc.

The only possible way to charge any type of phone is to plug in a connection into the battery power source of the phone, I can't think of a phone that can charge itself without doing this in any situation. In your situation if you get into the car and leave your iphone on your car seat you will retain all the benefits of bluetooth and be able to answer/take calls. However, you will not be able to charge your iphone as it needs to be docked to do this, there needs to be a power source. I believe this is the case with accessing music from the iphone as well unless option 6NF allows you to play it through bluetooth, I am not too sure.

In response to your question about a case for the iphone it would seem that there is not enough room for a silicon or leather case so you would have to remove it before docking it. I don't have a case for my iphone but I have an anti-glare film which covers the screen of my iphone to protect it from any scratches and this is not an issue at all. I have attached a photo, hopefully it clears things up for you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #20
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

I am in the process of unlocking an iPhone 4. Got it jail broken so far. (so it is a fancy PDA...). Has anyone tried fitting the iphone 4 into one of these adapters?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 06:15 AM   #21
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAlexandria View Post
I am in the process of unlocking an iPhone 4. Got it jail broken so far. (so it is a fancy PDA...). Has anyone tried fitting the iphone 4 into one of these adapters?
I read somewhere that it can be done with some mods to the adapter.

BMW still hasn't released an iPhone 4 version?