BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

M-DCT Park->Reverse question

Anyone else find that there is a slight delay after the car is started up where the transmission won't engage R yet? This is an extremely minor point, but still an annoyance.

Ever since my startup routine has become more second nature, I have found that the time it takes for me to move my hand from the start button to the shift lever and engage reverse is not quite long enough for the transmission to get "booted up" (for lack of better term) and allow reverse to be selected. As a result, while the stick has definitely been moved to the R gate, the dash computer still reads P and the car is still in park. I then have to disengage the shifter from the R gate and then reengage it.

Anyone else notice this? I wonder why this happens? I think that, once the transmission is "awake" it should just notice that the car is R and then properly engage R. I shouldn't really have to disengage/reengage the stick, IMHO. Although, maybe that is an artifact of the car not allowing you to start it while the stick is in R position? I honestly don't know if that is the case or not - never tried it. Even if so, it still seems like it should just select R as long as the stick is in position and my foot is on brake and the engine is running.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Not sure, but I have heard from a few sources that you should always give the engine 8 - 10 seconds of idling before engaging a gear. If the engine is cold, I always wait for the revs to decline before engaging a gear (45 - 60 seconds).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: r53 s65e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Anyone else find that there is a slight delay after the car is started up where the transmission won't engage R yet? This is an extremely minor point, but still an annoyance.
Same here. Even after some running time there is a delay in engaging R.

Quote:
Ever since my startup routine has become more second nature, I have found that the time it takes for me to move my hand from the start button to the shift lever and engage reverse is not quite long enough for the transmission to get "booted up" (for lack of better term) and allow reverse to be selected. As a result, while the stick has definitely been moved to the R gate, the dash computer still reads P and the car is still in park. I then have to disengage the shifter from the R gate and then reengage it.
Anyone else notice this? I wonder why this happens?
2fast4DCT Happens to me too. Software booting is probably the reason. Same reason for example why you cannot change the input source on a SONY LCD right after you turn it on. At least the TV says, "please wait while booting"

Quote:
I think that, once the transmission is "awake" it should just notice that the car is R and then properly engage R.
it should also check that the brake is still engaged and possibly a lot of other stuff and that is why it is the way it is I guess.

Quote:
I shouldn't really have to disengage/reengage the stick, IMHO. Although, maybe that is an artifact of the car not allowing you to start it while the stick is in R position? I honestly don't know if that is the case or not - never tried it.
I think it starts since I remember trying it. Of course it shows P.

Quote:
Even if so, it still seems like it should just select R as long as the stick is in position and my foot is on brake and the engine is running.
Too many items to check. It is safer to just write software that goes "starting? -> P (cause I said so)"

... of course if you have a 6MT you can rock your car back and forth much faster than with a DCT ...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
carri0n m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5M

Havnt experienced this but I generally give the car a minute to warm up before heading off. I've read its much better for the engine
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mora E46, Tanzanite G20 M340i

I have this problem and I find it quite an annoying. But its really only a minor issue, like you said. Something I can easily live with.
      09-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
quadpipes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB,'16 F22 M235i EB

Mine definitely hesitates a bit til it warms up. After warmup, then there is no delay at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Thanks for the replies. Good to know its not some issue specifically with my car, but just the way it works.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
moog55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

it happens once in a while for me too. i just put the car into gear (d1 or s1) and then move back to reverse and it will engage. just a little quirk of the car. no big deal to me.
Appreciate 0