BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-17-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quick! Help Needed

I know this is in the wrong forum, but more people will see it here.

Is this a permissible spot to use jack stands in the rear? The elbow just to the right of the muffler bend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Yep! Rock solid, but unless you have those jack stands with round pads, I wouldn't get under the car without additional 'backup' support (like another pair of jack stands under the jacking points, or a jack under the differential). The regular jack stands are too narrow to be stable over a round surface.

I used those locations when cleaning the rust on the wheel hubs, which obviously required wheel removal. But left the floor jack under the differential like an inch below, as a precaution. When not needing to remove the wheels, like to remove exhaust, I jack up the rear from the differential (like you), but place the rear on rhino ramps instead (don't like to wear my clutch, or risk overshooting the ramps ), since I wouldn't be able to work with the jack under the differential. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Yep! Rock solid, but unless you have those jack stands with round pads, I wouldn't get under the car without additional 'backup' support (like another pair of jack stands under the jacking points, or a jack under the differential). The regular jack stands are too narrow to be stable over a round surface.

I used those locations when cleaning the rust on the wheel hubs, which obviously required wheel removal. But left the floor jack under the differential like an inch below, as a precaution. When not needing to remove the wheels, like to remove exhaust, I jack up the rear from the differential (like you), but place the rear on rhino ramps instead (don't like to wear my clutch, or risk overshooting the ramps ), since I wouldn't be able to work with the jack under the differential. Hope this helps.
yeah, like he said, I do the same thing
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Good stuff. The stands are taking the load, but I have the jack up against the diff just in case. Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
Good stuff. The stands are taking the load, but I have the jack up against the diff just in case. Thanks for the help
That's great man. I also use the differential just to quickly jack up or lower the car, letting something else (ramps, jack stands) take the load.
Hey, may I ask what were you doing down there? Exhaust, perhaps?
Appreciate 0