BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

09-27-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Spending some time with the m3...

Watched my first auto-x that contained 335s and m3s. Although I like my exhaust setup, the m3 v8 sounds so incredible. Made me want to trade up even more. I wish those lease rates were like last years.

My biggest issue with the m3 is cosmetic. I dont like those sticking up orange reflectors or sticking up headlight washers. Thats about it. Other then that, its gonna be my next car whether its soon when the lease rates are better, or in a few years when im done with the 335.

Im just glad I got to see some in action. Ill be spending a few hours with one monday. Its past the break in, so im allowed to really test it out. Its dct. Only thing I feel safe enough doing in somebodies elses car, is listening to that high rev. Maybe take an off ramp a bit faster then I normally would. Ill finally get to press the m button to see what that does, lol.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

I'm with you on the front markers & headlight washers. The headlight washers are part of the CWP. You can just get the heated seats & forego the washers & added weight of the fold down rear seat. You'd save ~$500 too.

I'm picking mine up late tomorrow or early Tuesday, & plan on taking my painted markers with me & changing them out in the showroom. Or better yet, having the dealer prep guys do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I didnt know that the headlight washers were optional. Id definiately skip that then. Thanks for the tip.

Congrats on the new ride! I think id take painted markers with me too. I wish they didnt stick out though.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 03:51 AM   #4
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

i don't have headlight washers or orange reflectors. my reflectors are painted white
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
The M button won't do anything unless you set it up in Idrive beforehand.
      09-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
I'm with you on the front markers & headlight washers. The headlight washers are part of the CWP. You can just get the heated seats & forego the washers & added weight of the fold down rear seat. You'd save ~$500 too.

I'm picking mine up late tomorrow or early Tuesday, & plan on taking my painted markers with me & changing them out in the showroom. Or better yet, having the dealer prep guys do it.
whats wrong with the headlight washers? i have them and they dont stick out. whats the issue
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Some folks don't like the bump in front of the headlights. They are the same folks who comment on whether your aftermarket exhaust tips stick out an 1/2 inch too far in their opinion.

Some folks focus on performance, some on looks.
      09-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
whats wrong with the headlight washers? i have them and they dont stick out. whats the issue
Nothing's wrong with them - I personally don't have a need for headlight washers & it's one less thing that I have to detail around or mess with if I need to remove the bumper. I don't drive it in the winter & wash it weekly during the summer like the 335 I trade in. I would have a use for them on my 4-Runner but not the M3 -
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
lol, lots of talk on the headlight washers. Its just a personal preference to me. I like the front to look clean and the little bumps are sticking up. Not a big deal.

And I focus on hypothetical performance. I haven't even scratched the surface of that my 335 could do, let alone would I ever be able to push the m3 to the limits. How many drivers with these cars actually do besides a few on the forum?

Can't wait for tomorrow! DCT coupe past the breakin!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
I personally don't have a need for headlight washers & it's one less thing that I have to detail around or mess with if I need to remove the bumper.
I didn't care for the washers at all since I'll never use them. Being exposed rather than flush (like on E46s) was a bit of an eyesore IMO, but definitely not a deal breaker, so ended up buying a car with them.

The good news is the washers are NOT attached to the bumper, like many thought (including me), so bumper removal is basically identical to a non-CWP car, except an extra step to lift the bumper a bit to clear the washers.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

the thing that bothers me about the washers is that they go on every 5 times or so that you use the windshield washers...you have no choice, and cant turn them off, they activate after a certain number of times and spray all over your clean hood.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
the thing that bothers me about the washers is that they go on every 5 times or so that you use the windshield washers...you have no choice, and cant turn them off, they activate after a certain number of times and spray all over your clean hood.
Really? Didn't know. And again, don't remember manual saying anything about it. But now that I think of it, the lack of a switch (there's NONE) validates your theory.

Finally, I'd much prefer a switch, not because your hood gets dirty (if you're going to operate your windshield washer, your car is probably dirty already), but because it might get stained by the fluid . The good news to me is I can't even remember the last time I used windshield washer fluid; it must be at least a decade . Good day gang.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
i thought they only come on when you have the headlights on Auto?
so if you dont want the spray
switch to manual before spraying and switch back afterwards
not the most elegant solution
but it works
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Here is when the headlight washers (mandatorily) work:
(a) only when the headlights are on
(b) always during the 1st use of the windshield washers ("1st" meaning after starting the engine),
(b) thereafter every 5th consequtive use.

I find this anoying - let alone frustrating - because you screw your clean hood with water, or even worse with washer fluid.

Yes there is no readily available way to switch the headlight washers off, but here is what I do
(i) switch off the headlights when I want to spray the windshield without the spraying the headlights (and together with them the hood). Need to be careful doing this at night of course (I do it briefly when stationary eg when waiting at the trafic light), and/or
(ii) to get minimal spraying from the healights onto the hood or from the windshield to the roof, I have noticed that the optimal speed for doing the spraying is between 60-80km/hr.

I know this is becoming rocket sience, but this is what happens when you don't have a simple delete option or a way to switch the damn thing off!

BTW, why on earth does an M3 need headlight washers as standard or at least why isn't there a delete otion?!?!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #15
M3twins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue E92 M3 DCT

Not that I knew it beforehand, but I got lucky with a car that was built with heated seats, trunk pass through and no headlight washers. Must be a convertible thing. Glad I don't have to deal with all of those steps.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3twins View Post
Not that I knew it beforehand, but I got lucky with a car that was built with heated seats, trunk pass through and no headlight washers. Must be a convertible thing. Glad I don't have to deal with all of those steps.
Its not an M3 thing - any M3 or 3 series can be ordered that way in the US. Most dealers just order the cold weather package since it is basically the same price as ordered the heated seats and fold down rear seat with passthru individually, but it also includes the washers.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #17
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

I dont mind the headlight washers....living in NY they will be useful in the winter time....lol..they are also pretty good at washing bug guts off of my headlights (sooooo frustrating). Orange reflectors I can do without, but in all honesty they are not that much of an eyesore.

My M is sexxxaaaayyyyyyy.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #18
Pimp Star
Captain
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Euro front bumper + BMW performance gloss grills on any color make the front end PERFECT.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #19
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yesterday I had to cancel the test drive because of the rain. Today I get to the dealership and the only m3 on the lot had a flat tire. Not a huge deal, but I was looking forward to testing it out. Ill go back in a few days when the flat is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 06:02 AM   #20
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

i have them even though I live in Florida, somehow I got the CWP. only problem I've had is at night ( iguess when the lights are in on positiion) they spray when you spray the window, very annoying.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #21
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Watched my first auto-x that contained 335s and m3s. Although I like my exhaust setup, the m3 v8 sounds so incredible. Made me want to trade up even more. I wish those lease rates were like last years.

My biggest issue with the m3 is cosmetic. I dont like those sticking up orange reflectors or sticking up headlight washers. Thats about it. Other then that, its gonna be my next car whether its soon when the lease rates are better, or in a few years when im done with the 335.

Im just glad I got to see some in action. Ill be spending a few hours with one monday. Its past the break in, so im allowed to really test it out. Its dct. Only thing I feel safe enough doing in somebodies elses car, is listening to that high rev. Maybe take an off ramp a bit faster then I normally would. Ill finally get to press the m button to see what that does, lol.

The M3 is going to have a hard time impressing you from a test drive since you are coming from a 335xi. Should have asked one of those guys at the AutoX to give you a ride. The biggest difference between the cars is the throttle response. Check out some of my videos, that will give you a pretty good idea of what the M3 is all about.

As for the orange reflector, it is a easy fix. Its easier than the normal 3 series because its not glued downed, all you have to do is pop them out. The headlight cleaner actually work quite well when I lived in Germany and they're just two little nipples sticking out of the bumper.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #22
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:

IIRC there is no added weight by choosing fold down rear seats. If there were it's not enough to make any appreciable difference. Also, it is possible to choose the heated seats and fold down rear seats seperately. You get to avoid the headlight washers and save $25 in the process. Which could be used to buy slim fast to bring your own weight down.
Appreciate 0