BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
using ski hatch to mount subwoofer?

has anyone here done this?
mount a subwoofer to a wooden board and had it face the front of the car through the ski hatch?
i was curious if someone has tried it since it won't take up any space (besides the back of the sub i the trunk) and would vent well into the car
as long as the sub is well sealed through the ski hatch
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
That is the key and really is what makes it much more difficult than just slapping a wood board up against the seat back. To maintain functionality of the fold down seats, I would probably try doing an IB install up against the underside of the rear deck rather than against the back seat. The other way to do it is to not attach it to the back seat but to actually wall off the opening behind the back seat with a wood baffle and mount the woofer to that. That would help seal the baffle but it would also cause you to lose the ability to enlarge the trunk space by folding down the rear seat. BTW, if you did use the underside of the rear deck and did have to fold down the seat for some reason, you'd kill all of your bass response because of the interaction between the front wave and back wave from the subwoofer.
      11-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
why would it compromise the folding of the rear seats?
it would be a small piece of wood mounted around the ski hatch
basically its only funtion is to seal the subwoofer against the hole
so when the trunk is closed, the entire trunk area is the enclosure
and the only way for the sound to come out is through the ski hatch from the front of the sub
sort of like this pic, but only 1 sub centered
you could run the wires down to the floor and run them to where the amp is mounted. I'd mount the amp on top of the oem amp so it looks OEM

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
mount a subwoofer to a wooden board and had it face the front of the car through the ski hatch?
i was curious if someone has tried it since it won't take up any space (besides the back of the sub i the trunk) and would vent well into the car

I thought of that when I did my sub install.
Sometimes I regret not doing that!
Attached Images

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black

Last edited by SlammedR8; 01-01-2015 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
why would it compromise the folding of the rear seats?
it would be a small piece of wood mounted around the ski hatch
basically its only funtion is to seal the subwoofer against the hole
so when the trunk is closed, the entire trunk area is the enclosure
and the only way for the sound to come out is through the ski hatch from the front of the sub
sort of like this pic, but only 1 sub centered
you could run the wires down to the floor and run them to where the amp is mounted. I'd mount the amp on top of the oem amp so it looks OEM

In that pic, the 60/40 split of the rear seat is no longer functional. Also, it would not guarantee and tight seal between the front wave and back wave. You could still have some leakage because when the seat backs are up, it doesn't necessarily make an airtight seal around that entire opening to the trunk. It would work the way you're talking about bt it might not be the optimal IB install.
      12-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
cs123819
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible

E93 Subwoofer

I created a approximately .6 cubic foot sub box and kerfed the edges.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #7
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Out of curiosity are you considering this for aesthetics or functionality? Would be cool. But the whole trunk is a HUGE enclosure for 1 sub.

I'm running a 12" type r in a 1.5 cu/ft vented enclosure and it sounds like I have 3 12s

As you all know we have to leave at least at least one rear seat or worst case the ski hatch down to even hear the bass lmao,. Imo using the trunk as an enclosures w one sub there'd be ridiculous excursion and you'd be disa0inted in the output. Bass would be sloppy and the coil would be fighting for its life lol.

Maybe run an enclosure the size the speaker manufacturer recommends and aim the speaker into the car through the ski hole? Wrap the box in matching leather or even mold it...

Idk how it'd sound, I've always aimed then cones away from the passenger compartment whe. I installed car audio,.,.,.But it would def look cool.

I tried making my sub look more "oem" by ironing on m3 and BMW patches lmao. Idk what I was thinking but my buddies think its cool lol

Last edited by DKX4///M; 01-03-2016 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 0