BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

3rd party Diagnostic software for all systems - no such thing for BMW?

pardon my Bimmer n00bosity, but I'm coming from a longtime Audi owner standpoint, looking to purchase a 135i.

I'm interested in installing the OEM alarm after I purchase a gently used example, and was surprised to find that people are paying their dealers anywhere from an hour to several hours labor to accomplish this task.

Is there no 3rd party software that allows access to all of the various control modules of the car?

For Audis/VWs, we have VAGCOM, which allows complete analysis and manipulation of all the ECMs in the car - engine, transmission, alarm, SAT radio, navigation, Bluetooth, etc, etc, etc. Anything the dealer can see, pull codes on, and/or manipulate, the owner can do as well.

In the context of my intended alarm install, with an Audi I would be able to install it myself, hook up the VAGCOM and tell the car I just installed it, and then manipulate options such as interior motion detector or vehicle tilt sensitivity at will.

The software and USB dongle costs around $200 IIRC.

Is there no BMW equivalent? That would be a giant PITA to take it to the dealer for these sorts of things. I can see the result now. I take it to them, they charge me $200, and the motion sensor still won't activate unless I crawl through the window into the driver seat. Or perhaps it goes off when a parakeet farts nearby...?

Please tell me there's a proper solution...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
EINS
Simply One Great Car!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM Coupe

Garage List
2008 E82 / 135i  [0.00]
http://www.bavariantechnic.com/
      11-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
pardon my Bimmer n00bosity, but I'm coming from a longtime Audi owner standpoint, looking to purchase a 135i.

I'm interested in installing the OEM alarm after I purchase a gently used example, and was surprised to find that people are paying their dealers anywhere from an hour to several hours labor to accomplish this task.

Is there no 3rd party software that allows access to all of the various control modules of the car?

For Audis/VWs, we have VAGCOM, which allows complete analysis and manipulation of all the ECMs in the car - engine, transmission, alarm, SAT radio, navigation, Bluetooth, etc, etc, etc. Anything the dealer can see, pull codes on, and/or manipulate, the owner can do as well.

In the context of my intended alarm install, with an Audi I would be able to install it myself, hook up the VAGCOM and tell the car I just installed it, and then manipulate options such as interior motion detector or vehicle tilt sensitivity at will.

The software and USB dongle costs around $200 IIRC.

Is there no BMW equivalent? That would be a giant PITA to take it to the dealer for these sorts of things. I can see the result now. I take it to them, they charge me $200, and the motion sensor still won't activate unless I crawl through the window into the driver seat. Or perhaps it goes off when a parakeet farts nearby...?

Please tell me there's a proper solution...
There's nothing even close to VW/Audi VCDS/Vag Com coding capabilities and usability for the price for BMW, regardless of what vendors can tell you.

You will find some tools that tell you that they are capable to code some BMW modules, but in reality they just capable to code very few irrelevant modules and basically what they mostly do is to clear codes and look up values.

The real BMW tools are available at $1500 and up at eBay, and mostly from China. Some of them work, some of them don't. Autologic is the other tool that is capable of doing everything that the OEM tools can do and even slightly more... and it costs $10000+. There are some "underground" tools like NCS Expert -more powerful than even the VCDS and much easier to mess up your car as well if you do not know how to use it- that seems to be real OEM tools from factory reps that somehow end up being copied and downloaded to Torrents and only accessed/found by asking certain members of particular forums.

Some kind of "secret society", no joke...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Thanks for the info. So the Bavarian Technic one linked above isn't really all it's website purports it to be?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
Thanks for the info. So the Bavarian Technic one linked above isn't really all it's website purports it to be?
Well, it is but it's not VCDS/Vag Com by much.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Greetings.
We all know there are ways to do coding. Let's publicize what is needed to do this! I would like to tweak my car, and being an engineer, I really don't want to pay someone else to do it. The things I want involve function of lighting, semi-auto operation of roof and windows, etc. All things the car can do, but lawyers in the States have decided I can't have because I will pinch my fingers, or other random, stupid, things. I have heard of Bavarian Technic, but the version that one needs for coding is the pro, around $795 for a cable and the software. Not bad if it actually allows you to code modules. I have seen some other apps, will look them up again. Post the apps here, their pricing and how to purchase!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145

oops, year old thread

Last edited by GaryS; 11-17-2010 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #8
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Very, very interesting thread.

Two questions:

1. So I downloaded NCS Expert (3.1), and in the "DATEN" subfolder there is a list of (presumably) BMW models that are supported. There is no E88. Does that mean that we cannot use NCS Expert on the 135i convertible, or that I need to select another chassis?

2. Where can I get the appropriate cable?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0