BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
chatre
Rep
Drives: Range Rover

Moving to the US and want to buy a new M3

Hi guys,

Been a guest on the forum for the longest time and have been drooling over all the beautiful cars you guys have. Well, after constantly browsing the “for sale” section, I have several cars I’m interested in but need to sort out several issues before pulling the trigger.

The first issue is that I’m from Canada but will be moving to the US in the beginning of January. I’m not planning to import the car back to Canada since I’m going to be in New York for the rest of my studies.

The second issue is that I want to have the car by the beginning of January, which is before I start school. During this time frame before school, I will be in various parts of the US and thus will not have a permanent address for my insurance, license plate, and such.

I have some questions and any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
1) What would you guys do in my situation?
2) Would I have to use my Canadian license plate and buy insurance in Canada until I settle down in the US?
3) If so, would it seem as though I’m trying to import it back to Canada and does this mean I need to pay import tax back to Canada?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Why not just study in the west coast? Helluva lot warmer right about now. I wish I did.
      12-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Yervais
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SSII M3

Its easy...

Buy the car...
Register it under the temporary address that you will have in NY...
Enjoy...

you don't need to get canadian plates or canadian insurance... just buy the car like any other regular Joe... Register it in your temp address and get insurance thats it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
chatre
Rep
Drives: Range Rover

I don't have a temporary address yet because during the time frame of Jan-April, I'm going to be all over states and I won't be looking for a place until April. In this case then, since I won't have a temporary address until April but need the car in January, would I have to register it under my Canadian address and would that mean I would have to purchase the insurance in Canada and would that make me liable to import fees despite the fact that I have no intentions of bringing it back to Canada? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

If you are going to plate in the US, then you will most likely have to insure there as well. Most Canadian insurance companies will not insure a US car that is plated and registered there.
You can buy the car, but registering it you will need a address in the US.

I live in the US and Canada myself. My car is a Canadian M3, bought, registered, and insured there aswell. I got a really good deal, or else I would have bought it in the US.