BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Why do have to keep resetting my clock?

The climate has been mild lately here in Toronto so I decided to take the M3 out of storage and drive it around, just to get it moving a bit. I drove it the other day around the hood and noticed that the clock need to be reset, didn't bother to set it. Tonight I took it out again and drove it to the gym and on the way I set my clock. When I got in the car afterwards, the clock needed to be reset again!

What gives?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I say reset it again unless it just keeps resetting than just call your service adviser.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If you used a lightweight aftermarket battery this is most likely the source of your trouble.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

I had a slow battery draw in the cold so every time I would get in I would have to reset the time and the brightness on the gauge cluster
It was pretty annoying.
Get the battery charged up or see if it needs to be replaced
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 12:13 AM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Does the clock just shows '12:00' or what? But yes, most electronic gremlins like that are usually attributed to low voltage. The first time I experienced those gremlins was on an ex-Lincoln Navigator. The battery had dropped a cell, but I couldn't tell since starter cranked like always. But every time I turned the ignition on, the gauges' needles did a 'sweep', and clock and settings were reset as well. New battery cured everything. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
If you used a lightweight aftermarket battery this is most likely the source of your trouble.
This often happens with stock batteries and Ms that are not driven regularly as there is a lot of bus activity going on behind the scenes after ignition cutoff.

Either the M needs to be driven, or invest in a battery tender if stored for long periods of time.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #7
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

the winter ewok reset it while in storage?
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

The battery is stock and the display shows "--:--AM"

When I go home from work later on, I'll check it again and report back.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
The climate has been mild lately here in Toronto so I decided to take the M3 out of storage and drive it around, just to get it moving a bit. I drove it the other day around the hood and noticed that the clock need to be reset, didn't bother to set it. Tonight I took it out again and drove it to the gym and on the way I set my clock. When I got in the car afterwards, the clock needed to be reset again!

What gives?

im guilty of taking it out of storage too, couldnt get out of my driveway easily on the ps2s though, haha/

no problems here....but my car is plugged in, using a battery tender/maintainer, the one that only charges when needed....are you using smthg like this??
i suggest you pick one up if not.
      01-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Nick,
Im not sure if you saw my post but this is exactly what was happening to me.
You will also likely notice that your REST feature won't work, and that your comfort access won't be working all that great either. Its the battery, if your storing your car; you should have a battery tender or any trickle charger plugged into it, and most people will recomend not taking it out for short trips, its actually better to just let it sit on a battery tender for the few months you plan on not driving it.

To fix the problem, BMW kept my car overnight and charged the battery and made sure it wasn't loosing too much juice and its been fine since!
Attached Images

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black

Last edited by SlammedR8; 11-05-2018 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Nick,
Im not sure if you saw my post but this is exactly what was happening to me.
You will also likely notice that your REST feature won't work, and that your comfort access won't be working all that great either. Its the battery, if your storing your car; you should have a battery tender or any trickle charger plugged into it, and most people will recomend not taking it out for short trips, its actually better to just let it sit on a battery tender for the few months you plan on not driving it.

To fix the problem, BMW kept my car overnight and charged the battery and made sure it wasn't loosing too much juice and its been fine since!
Thanks for the tip, Dave. I've been letting the car come to a complete warm up while driving around for at least 20 minutes at a time. Hopefully, the car will hold a better charge once I pull it for full time driving again in a few months time and this will all be fine. I will definitely be getting a battery tender for it, though.

Any suggestions of which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
im guilty of taking it out of storage too, couldnt get out of my driveway easily on the ps2s though, haha/

no problems here....but my car is plugged in, using a battery tender/maintainer, the one that only charges when needed....are you using smthg like this??
i suggest you pick one up if not.
Thanks, I will. I knew you couldn't hold off from driving it. How are the roads in Montreal?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
the winter ewok reset it while in storage?
Argh! Those pesky little Ewoks!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Battery Tenders

They work really well. Get either the Deltran Battery Tender Plus (there is even a pink one ) or the BMW Advanced Battery Charging System. The BMW unit is just a more expensive rebranded Deltran. There are links and more info here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129161&highlight=deltran

You want the one with the aligator clips. Attach it to the jumper terminals under the hood.
Attached Images

Last edited by calintexas; 01-19-2010 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #14
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Argh! Those pesky little Ewoks!
we've successfully eradicated them from our hawaiian winters
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #15
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Mine was doing the same. Every now and then the clock would have to be reset and all the trip records (fuel econ, trip odo etc) would be reset and my CA wouldn't work and I would have to actually use the key to open.

I drive my car every day. To and from work. About 25 minutes each way. Funny enough, sometimes I would start the car and the clock would be about 5 minutes slow. Today, it just went to --:-- twice. First thing this morning and after lunch.
      06-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #16
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

^sounds like your battery is going out. It's a pretty well documented case on this forum, try searching.

or blame the winter Ewoks:

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

When the battery charge falls below a preset (critical) level the system switches off all systems in order to conserve power to restart the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #18
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Hehe... It's the battery. Another fun issue is that if you are like me, you have a very short commute (2 miles). Apparently this isn't enough to keep the battery charged either; My clock loses about 5 minutes a day and sometimes resets itself. It's odd because there's never an issue starting the car.

Trickle charger, or taking "the long way" helped me.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #19
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Just thought I would post an update on MY situation.

I hooked up my car to a battery charger that I bought from Parkview BMW in Toronto overnight. Obviously, it was fine when I went to start the next day. However, interestingly enough, I have not had ANY of the problems I mentioned earlier in this thread since. Cool, eh?

DC
      07-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #20
m3tor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

OP and drchuck72 - I had exactly your problem last summer - clock resetting all the time between drives - except I was also getting "increased battery discharge" warning and then "low battery". Dealer recharged battery, was fine for a day or two then problem reoccurred. I drive my car year round and so don't store it. I drive 10-15kms each way city+highway to work every day. They were suggesting I get a trickle charger but I didn't want to go through hassle and something didn't sound right to me. They made me swap out my Boomerang for a new one as they thought that was issue. Problem reoccurred after that. Eventually they swapped out both my battery and the "intelligent battery sensory" and problem went away.
2002 E46 M3 Carbon Black / Imola Red, 6 speed, 19s - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #21
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Below 70% battery charge state will cause this. If your car has comfort access, try locking it in the garage. They have a tendency to wake up a lot with that option, causing battery draws that at considered normal. Also, short trip driving does not allow for proper battery charging. If the car sits more than 3-4 days, use a trickle charger for sure. That should take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #22
okmate
Rep
Drives: 320D msport

this is happening to me, i parked it up the other night and in the morning the clock had reset again, before i started it i opened the windows with the fob, i thought if it where the battery the window function wouldn't work. I have noticed that when i get in the car now the car on the ramp appears in amber, when i go the the funtions all the service clocks oil tyres are ok, so could this prove the batterys had enough?
Appreciate 0