BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

02-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
gthberg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 IB/FR

Garage List
1987 BMW M6  [9.75]
2009 e90 M3  [0.00]
Check Engine

Had a strange event today and I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced it. Came out after work, and started up the car. It was about 30 degrees, so I let it warm up until it dropped below 1k rpm. Backed out of my spot, and I got a warning saying "Engine Malfunction - Check engine" on iDrive. The check engine light came on the dash, and iDrive basically said the car was in limp mode. Ran a system check, and it said all systems checked out fine. So, I turned off the car, let it sit for a minute, and started her back up. No issues, ran fine all the way home with no other warnings. I'll take it in to get the code read out, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this?

FYI, I've been driving it all winter, in much colder weather than this. Gas cap hasn't been messed with for several days, nor did I mess with it to make the warning go away.
      02-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

I had a misfire on one of the piston of my X5. It was intermittent and I got the CEL on the cluster when that happened. The engine would sound rough but no limp mode. At the dealership, they found a faulty ignition coil on that cylinder. It was replaced and everything is fine now. Just my $0.02.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0