BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
SCL_///M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

More on the steering wheel vibration

Sorry for keep on posting on the same issue. I'd like to get some more opinions from you guys.
So, I have come to notice that the steering wheel seems only to vibrate when the tires are cold. I live about 5mins from the the nearest freeway, so whenever I take to car straight to the freeway in the morning I can sense some noticeable vibration through the the steering wheel at 120km/h, but after driving for about 5-10min the vibration seems to disappear. Also, if I have been driving on the local road for a while before taking the car to the freeway, I don't sense as much vibration as well. It also seems to be temperature related. When it's nice and warm out there (above 10C/50F), the steering wheel does seems to be vibrate as much even the when tires are still cold.
Is this the nature of 19" summer tires? Has anyone else experienced the same thing?
Would it help if I pump up the tires a bit, to about 35psi Front / 37psi Rear cold (Mfg recommended 33psi F / 35psi R)?
This is a brand new car (only 600kms on it now) and I've taken my car back to the dealership 3 times for the same issue and they still could not get it fixed. Every time they seemed to be able to lessen the vibration a bit but never been able to eliminate the problem completely. They already replaced 3 tires. What should I do at this point?

Hope to get some insight from you guys.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
dynamite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 - 6MT

I have the same prob. When the tires are cold I got vibration at 140-150 km/h.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
SCL_///M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamite View Post
I have the same prob. When the tires are cold I got vibration at 140-150 km/h.
What kind of tires do you have on? Stock 19" Continental ContiSportContact 3?
Just curious if it is the nature of these tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
cosmin2381
Registered
Rep
Drives: e60

Hello, I have the same problem with Bridgestone Potenza RE50A 225/50/17 94Y(NOT RSC) on E60.
after 5-10km they are ok.

First time I had Potenza 94V and after a lot of problems(this problem when tires were cold and other unbalanced problems) thy change me the tires with Y. The tires are ok, except this cold problem. I have winter tires RSC and I have no vibration.

Something coming in my mind now, maybe I'm wrong but I saw on my car that the upper arm bushings are very flexible, I thought I have to change them, I went to BMW service but they told my that they are ok and show me a new car. Yes they are very flexible, probably that's why there is a vibration when the tires are cold, a vibration that is not present on other cars. This is my feeling .

Last edited by cosmin2381; 06-17-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

This is pretty much a standard issue with performance tires. My Porsche had the same problem. The tires sit stagnant they get very minor flat spotting on the bottom. This causes the vibration, but once they heat up enough the flat spotting goes away.

I would use the tire pressures as directed in the door panel, can't recall what they are. The vibration will still be there though.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

My Car Does It Too

OEM 18's and PS2's. My house is about 2 miles from the freeway. The steering wheel initially starts shaking just a little bit at 80 to 85 MPH when I first get on the freeway. After a few miles when I bump the speed up again for a bit the shake is gone. I think the tires flat spot a bit sitting in the garage.
      06-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I had to balance my tires 3 times before they felt almost perfect. Before powdercoating my wheels I only felt a vibration sometimes, and only when I let go of the steering wheel. As soon as I grabbed it back, it was gone, so didn't bother me. Now it seems to be about the same, and after the 3rd time, the Discount Tire guy told me one of the wheels had excessive runout for what he could see when wheel was turning on the Hunter machine.

So yes, another possibility is one of your wheels might have more than ideal runout, which seems to be the case with mine. What I know for sure is it's a b*tch to get these wheels and tires balanced properly, for some reason. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

I do feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel till the tires get hot.
Appreciate 0