BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

04-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

Climate control in 2010?

There seems to be no meun in the iDrive for controling the climate in 2010 M3s...
you have to do everything in the HVAC area so without the iDrive the AC in auto mode, i can't adjust the ratio of air distribution???
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitCake View Post
There seems to be no meun in the iDrive for controling the climate in 2010 M3s...
you have to do everything in the HVAC area so without the iDrive the AC in auto mode, i can't adjust the ratio of air distribution???
Sad but true.
      04-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Wow that sucks. Why would they do that? Is that really saving any $?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Wow that sucks. Why would they do that? Is that really saving any $?
It probably does but it also serves to differentiate the 3-Series from the 5-Series. The 1-Series doesn't have climate/seat heater functions in iDrive either.

On my 550i O can adjust the "intensity" of the HVAC's Auto mode in iDrive. In my M3 I do it with a button. On my 550i I can adjust seat heat intensity between seat cushion and backrest. In my M3... can't do that. Etc.

Guess what? My M3 kicks ass. The 550i is just comfortable. Net result: don't care.
      04-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Kyosho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 // Panamera Turbo

I never really used that function anyways
Didn't even know I didn't have it on my M3 until this thread.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
Sad but true.
Always nice to hear we have something '10s don't .

If that function actually increased the fan's volume, it'd be great. But it's the same as turning fan speed one notch. Big deal. This freaking HVAC is so noisy and temperamental I always use it in manual mode at the lowest possible fan setting, with lowest temperature in summer and highest in winter. Another 'feature' that sucks (especially in winter) is no air flow with system off, even in 'fresh' mode; have to have the fan on all the time, even when you don't need A/C. On my Honda, I get almost as much airflow at highway speeds with the fan off (fresh mode, of course) than with the M3's fan at 3 out of 5, which is already noisy as hell. BMW needs to improve that; it's ridiculous on a $70K+ car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

I remember the fresh air feature on my civic. I also remember all the hondas / acuras that we owned fogged up Like crazy!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post
I remember the fresh air feature on my civic. I also remember all the hondas / acuras that we owned fogged up Like crazy!
Fogging is a climate issue man. I have never needed to 'defog' my cars here in 25 years, but that's one of the few advantages of living in the freaking desert . I just meant no need to ever turn my fan on for at least 6 months of the year on all my past and present vehicles, except this BMW. And not only to save it from unnecessary wear and tear, but the damn noise it makes. Plus the interior gets A LOT hotter in summer, since hot air cannot escape thru the ventilation system without having to leave windows/moonroof open... or program that battery-consuming feature that lowers windows and turns fan on.

There's absolutely not a single advantage for not allowing fresh air without fan on, since I can just hit the 'recirc' button on any of my other cars and they'd behave just like the M3. I like choices .
Appreciate 0