BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Hoo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue e92 zcp 6mt

Euro Delivery Interlagos Blue e92 ZCP 4/15

Took delivery of my IB M3 today. Great experience. The Welt was excellent. The factory tour was very interesting--took about 2 hrs. They have a pretty decent free spread of breakfast and lunch items, beer, sodas, coffees, etc that you can return to all day. They give you 15 Euro credit in their restaurants as well--which we used to buy a bottle of wine since we had plenty to eat. Also a 10 Euro credit in their gift shop. There was only 1/4 tank of gas in the car, which was, I thought a rather cheap & annoying.

As for my concerns about the color, I was relieved. It is a bit different with a mild purple hue, but I do like it. I also like the interior combo of Bamboo Beige, Sycamore Antracite trim very much. The wood is dark enough to be subtle with the black dash.

The major disappointment was how pathetic the Navigation system is--at least the Euro version. Needed to find a gas station--and there appears to be no way to do so. In addition, it was downright wrong several times on the way to Fussen. May end up with a Garmin stuck to my windshield anyway unless the US version is vastly superior. We met another couple who coincidently were on our tour and ended up in Fussen at the same hotel. They had the same experience with both the gas and the Nav system. Otherwise, it was a great day.

I tried to attach some pics--but only 1 seemed to find it's way to the post.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hoo; 04-15-2010 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
Congratulations! Looks great. 1st real owner's E92 w/ ZCP pic posted. I am picking mine up @welt in less than a month too.

In regards to the 1/4 tank of gas, I believe it's due to regulation that they can't store full tank of gas at the Welt. They aren't really being cheap...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Hoo
Private
United_States
Rep

Well I tried to post several pics, but I

see only one made it. Maybe will try to post more when I get home. The ride with ZCP is fine. Rode in comfort/normal/& sport. BTW, averaged 18.4 mpg on trip to Fussen. Took 86 Euro to fill up the tank from about 1/5th empty. I have yet to see another M3 driving around either Paris or Germany in 5 days--no wonder if it takes that much to fill the tank. Would love it if I could average anywhere close to 18 mpg once the break-in period is over--I know better-- I never topped 4.5 thousand RPM on the trip. My wife was very impressed how much smoother & more refined the car is vs my e46. I'll take the V8 engine/& exhaust note over the I6 rasp, though each has it's own attractions.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Congrats on the car. And enjoy the time in Europe. Are you going to try and get it broken in quickly and serviced, so you can really pound on it on the Autobahns?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

Put those miles on man. You have all of Germany to play with. Lets not forget the Ring.

Congrats!

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

Congrats! Great looking car. I have the same interior combo in my Jerez sedan.

I had some issues with the NAV when I was in Europe as well. The stateside version seems much better or it may be a learning curve. We totally missed a turn to Venice that the NAV never told us about.

Enjoy the trip. Are you headed back to Munich or going someplace else first?
      04-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Beautiful car! I have the same color combo and after a year still love it! Great choice.

I also had issues with the Navi on my ED trip. It had gotten me lost numerous times and even ended up on a unpaved road for trucks at one point. D'oh
      04-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Interesting that you had issues with Nav. I had the european version when I lived in Germany for two years, and found that it worked just as well in Europe as it did in NA. I wonder if Euro delivery cars get some type of abbreviated version...?
      04-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
RichB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 e90

Beautiful car. Congrats!!

If I remember correctly, the Euro Nav version is "test" or "demo" version. I did not have major issues with it. There was a small learning curve. This version is better than previous years...it just works different than others (Garmin, Honda, etc). I would not install a separate Garmin when you have a built in nav. The BMW nav is as good as Garmin, just a bit different. My biggest issue was trying to get to a hotel in Salzburg. The hotel had an address that required driving on pedestrian path. Finally got pissed enough to call the hotel. They explained that travelling via my personal car they have a different address. Not the fault of the nav.

I like the re-route feature that gives multiple options to get to destination. I was in Garmisch with a closed road to Fussen. The re-route feature was a quick way for me to determine the best (fun) road to complete my journey.

The best feature of the nav is sending the destination address from Google Maps directly to your car (only works in US). Saves time from dealing with the nav interface unless it is req'd.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Man, I HATE YOU!!!!!

dammit, my ED with the same color combo and options (except in sedan form) is gonna seem so so so so so far away

congrats and enjoy the beast.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo View Post
see only one made it. Maybe will try to post more when I get home. The ride with ZCP is fine. Rode in comfort/normal/& sport. BTW, averaged 18.4 mpg on trip to Fussen. Took 86 Euro to fill up the tank from about 1/5th empty. I have yet to see another M3 driving around either Paris or Germany in 5 days--no wonder if it takes that much to fill the tank. Would love it if I could average anywhere close to 18 mpg once the break-in period is over--I know better-- I never topped 4.5 thousand RPM on the trip. My wife was very impressed how much smoother & more refined the car is vs my e46. I'll take the V8 engine/& exhaust note over the I6 rasp, though each has it's own attractions.

Great PIC! First E92 ZCP, the drop and wheels look great. Thanks for posting.
      04-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Congrats man, Beautiful car. Enjoy Germany! ED is great!

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #13
Hoo
Private
United_States
Rep

3 more ED e92 IB Pics

I think I've downloaded 3 more pics. We go back to US tomorrow--have appt for dropoff in Munich on Sat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
Montoya
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT3

Nice color!

You will find the change in color in different lighting amazing.

The only downside is that it's a lot like a black car- it gets dirty in no time and can look dull - especially compared to how great it looks buffed and shiny.

It's going to be a long wait for your car back at stateside!

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 GT3 now in my garage!
'10 X5 3.5D
'12 E91 Xi Wagon MT sports package
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #15
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Love it! Congrats.
      04-16-2010, 03:06 AM   #16
MkLV_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Interesting that you had issues with Nav. I had the european version when I lived in Germany for two years, and found that it worked just as well in Europe as it did in NA. I wonder if Euro delivery cars get some type of abbreviated version...?
+1

Without being able to find the nearest Esso station so easily, I would have been paying so much more for gas.
      04-16-2010, 03:31 AM   #17
han405
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Great looking car!
If I may ask, what's your updated return date? You know, with almost all the trans-Atlantic flights cancelled from northern Europe due to volcanic ashes of that "unpronounceable" Volcano in Iceland…
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 04:04 AM   #18
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

The nav seems to work fine for me in Europe, its never let me down yet, reroutes around traffic jams no problem....I use Google maps to send addresses to my car pre trip or ring from the car with Connecteddrive to get destinations like petrol stations, nearest BMW dealer, restaurants etc sent to my car while on route.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 05:33 AM   #19
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
The nav seems to work fine for me in Europe, its never let me down yet, reroutes around traffic jams no problem....I use Google maps to send addresses to my car pre trip or ring from the car with Connecteddrive to get destinations like petrol stations, nearest BMW dealer, restaurants etc sent to my car while on route.
Same here. Sat nav working great for me.

Congrats OP!

T
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #20
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

[QUOTE=Hoo;7132182

The major disappointment was how pathetic the Navigation system is--at least the Euro version.[/QUOTE]

US-spec cars get a set of "Testmaps 2008.2" installed in Munich/Europe (or at least they did, maybe check your nav version to see what it says). Earlier this year I finally got BMW AG to install under warranty the real European maps on my car (US-spec diplomatic delivery) for use in Europe...the version that is now loaded on the car is Professional Europe 2009.2, and they updated the nav s/w to 1.5.2. I had complained to BMW because I found a lot of glitches with the "Testmaps" - not so much in Germany as in Spain, France, Italy. Car would be on a road that had clearly existed for a long time (pre-GPS) and the location would jump around. There were other problems and these were clearly not just with the map dataset but the way that information on the DB was being resolved by the navigation s/w.

So far the new maps work well, seem to be much better set of POI and also runs more smoothly (switching from one view to another, although may be part of the new navi s/w).

Incidentally, my theory about why US-cars come with the Testmaps BMW vice the full map set is that BMW is avoiding having to pay for two licenses for the map database.

There is a recent TIS/TSB from BMW NA for owners who have this "Testmap" function enabled in the US (not Europe) and all they get is European map/destinations. The fix, which is to turn off the "test" function, is covered under warranty in the US.

I have a Garmin here as well...but rarely use it. The integrated BMW system is very good and having any kind of extra electronic gizmos in the cabin (or traces of them) is a bad idea if you want to avoid replacing side-windows. What I do use is my BBerry to get traffic updates on the road...as the TMC/TMC+ data option does not work (even with the new maps) on US-spec cars.
      04-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #21
MarkB84
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

nice new ride. love the color.
      04-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #22
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC