BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
HotSoss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i XDrive, 2006 Z4

Euro Driving Tour in M3- Weather Tips Needed

Hello again,

My wife and I are planning our European Delivery trip with our new E92 now waiting for us. But as we contemplate zipping around the alps in our new vehicle, we are suddenly feeling very under-prepared for the task- and mostly due to weather uncertainty. I know there will be surprises along the way (I've read the other Euro Deliv posts with great interest!) but weather is the one thing I'm concerned about, especially on passes in Austria, Switzerland, and Italy given than we are going to be using 19" performance tires on the car.

Where is the best place to get road/pass closure information for these various roads? It's hard to plan an itinerary and get hotels with limited driving condition information. On a related note- has anyone taken their car to the Interlaken/ Lauterbrunnen region this time of year? Is it too muddy to make the visit worthwhile?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

When is your trip?
      05-26-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
HotSoss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i XDrive, 2006 Z4

Next week. We already plan to get the car Monday, go to Fussen for two nights, then to Lake Como for a night. After that, it is up in the air. We'd love to see Alps (Jungfrau region, Zermatt, etc.) but we worry about the weather. Not even sure if Fussen to Como will be passable, but it looks like it is okay from everything I've been able to see. But if the areas of Zermatt and Interlaken are going to be really rainy and muddy, I think we'd like to save those for a time when we can come back in July or August. But some places seem to suggest that early June could be the best time to visit- fewer people, wildflowers in season. I just wish I knew it would work in the M3 to visit these places and that the timing is good.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

We were considering doing Interlaken in late April last year. The roads were just open but we stayed at lower ground because of wind and fog and time. I would guess you would be fine in early June which looks like it is early season. I am sure you have checked over at bimmerfest but if not, they have a wealth of information on Euro Delivery. Have a great trip.

PS. We had a great soup in Switzerland that is only served in the Spring. I am not sure exactly what it is called but the wild plant looked a bit like lamb's ear.
      05-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

There isn't any snow left that I've seen but it's GOING to rain. It poured like a son of a bitch the last two days. If your'e worried about snow, check the weather for your destinations but I highly doubt you'll see any.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Drive to Brig, then take the road up to Zermatt. You will have to park on the outside of the town and walk the rest of the way to your hotel. The road leading to Zermatt is beautiful, and so is the little town. You can take a gondola up to the glacier and overlook the Matterhorn... spot Mont Blanc from there as well.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0