BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

07-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
hoeferland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan

Arrow Help: A few unknown issues with V1 Hardwire

Hi all,

I'm hoping to pick our collective brains about two issues that I've run into with my V1 Hardwire installation this afternoon.

I following the DIY (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545) and everything went smoothly, but now I have the following "fun" issues:

1. My sunroof control no-longer seems to work correctly (e.g. when you push the slider back it doesn't open, or if you push up it goes forward). Also, there check control is showing me what appears to be a sunroof issue.

2. My V1 works correctly, but when I click on the sunroof button it seems to lose power temporarily and resets. It only seems to happen when the sunroof is trying to move forward to back.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Carl

Last edited by hoeferland; 07-14-2010 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
hoeferland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I should also note that I unplugged all the connectors as part of the install and then plugged them back in as I put it all together.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
hoeferland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Okay,

Here is an update...

I used the following link to troubleshoot the Control Check symbol https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...90+E91+E92+E93

I then called my local BMW dealership and they walked me through how to reset the sunroof. Essentially, push up on the button and hold it for 30 seconds. The sunroof should start working through it's throw. Keep holding the button and when it's finished (up, back, and forward) then it's reset and you're good to go.

I'm still having this issue:

My V1 works correctly, but when I click on the sunroof button it seems to lose power temporarily and resets. It only seems to happen when the sunroof is trying to move forward to back.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Dntlvet
Dntlvet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 M3 Sedan,13 GT-R BE,13 Pors

Sounds like frayed wires, spark gap or sortage.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

The V1 is very sensitive to power and ground connections. Make sure they are tight. Make sure that no part of the switch or anything that moves up there will touch any of the wires leading to the V1. Other than that I can't think of too many other ways to trouble shoot this.

Cheers.
      07-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Sounds like you taped into the wrong wire.

I've done probably close to 30+ installs and haven't had any issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
hoeferland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I tapped into the Green wire with White stripe (what the DIY thread recommended)...is that not the correct one? I've sanded and check the ground and that seems to be solid. Is there a better power source I should be going after? Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I reported that issue after my install. That wire is not hot when sunroof is open. I had to redo the whole damn thing twice before I found the culprit. First time I had the sunroof open, so no power, and thought the wire came loose or something. Second time I had closed the sunroof and everything was fine, so blamed the wire. A few days later opened the sunroof and V1 went dead; thought I blew a fuse or something. Closed sunroof and everything fine, so found the culprit by accident. The good news is I never drive on the highway with the sunroof open, so left the wiring alone. Besides, since I stuffed the front of the roof console with closed-cell foam to quiet a rattle, it's going to be quite difficult to pop the console down again.

Bottom line, behavior is normal for a sunroof-equipped car, so don't worry . But somebody should find a different wire .
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
hoeferland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. While our issues are similar, they're not quite the same. I have full power when the sunroof is open, closed, or in the "up" position. My power is "going in and out" when the sunroof is moving forward or back. It's not the end of the world, but something I would like to figure out, because I'm anal retentive.

On a side note, this is the 6th car that I've done and it's the first one that I've had issues with.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

If you have some spare time on your hands, you could give my method a try? http://www.mfestforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5403

I won't claim that it's the best method, and there are a few improvements that can be made on my method, (some discussed in this thread, check post #5 http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394289) but it doesn't have the issues that you're speaking of. Hope this helps you out, even if it's just a little bit.

Last edited by LateBraking; 07-15-2010 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoeferland View Post
My power is "going in and out" when the sunroof is moving forward or back.
So coupes and sedans are probably wired differently. Your issue is either a flimsy contact area (I know mine is, since I didn't solder it or anything; just pushed wire in) that gets disturbed with motor's vibration, or simply motor is drawing enough current to lower voltage below V1's acceptable range, but since that didn't happen on your other installations, maybe it's the former. In all honestly, I wouldn't worry about it if it's only while sunroof is moving, but as a precaution, I'd turn the V1 off before operating the sunroof. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I took power by tapping from the fuse block like in iBeJayKaying's post. But that's because I installed the remote display and switch below the windows and needed power from there anyway. Anyway, this should solve your problem if nothing else works. But I suggest you pop the cover off of the A-pillar and use cable ties rather than just stuffing it in.

Cheers.
      07-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
I took power by tapping from the fuse block like in iBeJayKaying's post. But that's because I installed the remote display and switch below the windows and needed power from there anyway. Anyway, this should solve your problem if nothing else works. But I suggest you pop the cover off of the A-pillar and use cable ties rather than just stuffing it in.

Cheers.
Yeah, honest truth, I was being lazy when I was doing that DIY. I should have popped off the cover and zip-tied it, it's the recommended method. But hey, I'm losing my M3 soon, so reversing the process will be easy for me.

But for everyone else, I strongly suggest doing what ersin suggested. I'll have to update the DIY sometime.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Are you grounded to the torx screw or the 10mm bolt?

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm hoping to pick our collective brains about two issues that I've run into with my V1 Hardwire installation this afternoon.

I following the DIY (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545) and everything went smoothly, but now I have the following "fun" issues:

1. My sunroof control no-longer seems to work correctly (e.g. when you push the slider back it doesn't open, or if you push up it goes forward). Also, there check control is showing me what appears to be a sunroof issue.

2. My V1 works correctly, but when I click on the sunroof button it seems to lose power temporarily and resets. It only seems to happen when the sunroof is trying to move forward to back.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Carl
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
hoeferland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I believe that I am, but I will double check.

My apologies to elp_jc, because I do have the same behavior that he has. Begins to lose power as the runroof goes back; completely off and stays off with the sunroof in the back position.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #16
hoeferland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm grounded to the torx screw.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #17
m3 bud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Quote:
I believe that I am, but I will double check.

My apologies to elp_jc, because I do have the same behavior that he has. Begins to lose power as the runroof goes back; completely off and stays off with the sunroof in the back position.
Looks I ran into this exact same issue yesterday. Hardwired V1 and it loses power as the sunrof goes back and stays off in the open position. Tilt works fine and doesn't impact the V1.

Anyone find a solution to this?
      02-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
hoeferland
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

2nd. I'm still searching for a good option that doesn't require a major re-wire.
      02-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #19
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 bud View Post
Anyone find a solution to this?
To be honest, I won't do anything unless I have another issue. Stuffed a lot of closed-cell foam in front of the console, so sticking my finger to release the roof console won't be an easy job anymore . It's not a big deal since I never open the sunroof on the highway. BUT last time I took a trip on the M3 I 'vented' the moonroof and didn't realize the V1 was off until I saw a cop turning his lights to pull the guy in front of me (oops!). I even thought the connection finally came loose, until I realized the stupid moonroof was vented. So yes, ANY open position on the moonroof will cut power to the V1.

Anyway, if I had known of this issue, I'd have gone thru the trouble of doing it 'right' with the V1 hardwire kit, by removing the 'A' pillar cover and everything else to do a perfect job. I can and will live with the moonroof issue, but I just don't like things done half-a$$, even when I didn't know < he he>.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:15 AM   #20
m3 bud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Looks like I'll just have to live with this. I'll probably turn off the V1 when open the moonroof. Fortunately for me in the vent/tilt position it doesn't impact it.
      02-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #21
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This would bug me to death. I don't have a sunroof but I hardwired my V1 via a fuse tap. I did it this way mostly because I'm using the remote audio/control and the concealed display units which are mounted around the dash anyway. But doing this isn't a big job IMHO. You do need to take off the A-pillar trim and get behind the dash which isn't as hard as it sounds.

My suggestion: rewire it with a fuse tap into slot #5 on the fuse box behind the glove box. Take all the V1 wiring out behind the moonroof switch if you do this, just to be sure that you won't have any problems with the moonroof. Good luck.

Cheers.