BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Anyone heard of PCCB problems recently?

This isn't a "bash Porsche" thread, and it might not even be in the right section, but I want to tap into the collective consciousness on PCCB brakes and how they've been standing up lately. If you track your M3, you spend a lot of time hanging out with Porsche drivers.

I've done two track days in the last three weeks, and one of the participants at both is a gentleman who, depending on how he's feeling about things on the day, turns up in either his CGT or his 2010 GT3RS. The CGT is his favored track car, although he's been using his GT3RS a lot lately.

That's because the CGT is sidelined to replace the brake rotors and it takes a while to get them from Germany. It came with PCCB but he's replacing them with cast iron. The car, as I understand it, has about 10,000 virtually all-track miles, so the PCCB's have done well.

The lovely new (and it's gorgeous) GT3RS has already been switched from its original PCCB's to cast iron. I don't know exactly when it was delivered, but it's probably only three months old or so, so it's very recent production.

I'd seen the car a month or so back with the PCCB's on it, and when I saw it two weeks ago with cast iron rotors I asked the owner what was up. He said the PCCB's lasted three track days and that was it; the rotors were worn out and had to be replaced.

Porsche told him that PCCB rotors have been re-engineered recently, and that's why his GT3 brakes wore out so fast. Given Porsche's vast capabilities in making brakes for sports applications, it sounds very odd that they would re-engineer their top-tier product and have it turn out worse than the "regular" stuff.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

I use to think PCCB where the shit! Sport Auto fielded a totally Stock GT3 RS at this years Nurburgring 24hr race. When they prepped the car they removed the stock wheels the PCCB and added the front roll cage and removed passenger seat and installed full FIA certified race seat. To tell you the truth I don't know if ceramic brakes are illegal for VLN or Nurburg 24 hr race or there not just durable enough? I had a porsche friend take his Boxter S through the gravel trap at a local track and it broke his ceramic rotor and it was big $$$$
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

From what I've read on the subject, to properly utilize PCCB rotors on the track you will need to get special Porsche pads. If you use the stock pads, the PCCB rotors will be ruined pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
From what I've read on the subject, to properly utilize PCCB rotors on the track you will need to get special Porsche pads. If you use the stock pads, the PCCB rotors will be ruined pretty quickly.
This is the truth.
Porsche has two brake pads for their PCCB rotors. Both are thought to be Pagid's, but I'm not sure which ones. They come with the street pads and you need to get the track pads if you're going to track.

You can't use the street pads on the track or you'll destroy the rotors. You can use the track pads on the street with obvious limitations in cold braking.
You can quickly destroy the rotors if you use other pads, particularly on the track. People have had multiple track days with the PCCB while using the proper pads. Some people even say it's a wash compared to iron rotors, particularly if you're having someone else change them out.
The first gen PCCB did suck and failed pretty easily, but the newer ones are suppose to hold up well as long as you use the right pads.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
This is the truth.
Porsche has two brake pads for their PCCB rotors. Both are thought to be Pagid's, but I'm not sure which ones. They come with the street pads and you need to get the track pads if you're going to track.

You can't use the street pads on the track or you'll destroy the rotors. You can use the track pads on the street with obvious limitations in cold braking.
You can quickly destroy the rotors if you use other pads, particularly on the track. People have had multiple track days with the PCCB while using the proper pads. Some people even say it's a wash compared to iron rotors, particularly if you're having someone else change them out.
The first gen PCCB did suck and failed pretty easily, but the newer ones are suppose to hold up well as long as you use the right pads.
Thanks for the explanation - it makes sense when you put it that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

I have a 2010 Gt3 with PCCB. I run Porsche Motorsport P50 "Greens"...

This is THE ONLY, let me say again THE ONLY pad designed for the PCCB. This pad is made by Pagid for Porsche Motorsport.

It all comes down to what you have heard. Plenty of people run PCCB and have years on them, literally. You need to do a few things to be certain they last...

a) Proper cool down after sessions
b) Run with the gizmos off as this kills the rear pads/rotors when traction control kicks in
c) Proper pads and proper pad life! Most people swap out pads with 40-50% left to be sure nothing happens

Running the "P50 Greens" with PCCB has been great - plenty of bite when they heat up. Again, make sure you really heat them up or you are in for a ride come the first turn!

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
I have a 2010 Gt3 with PCCB. I run Porsche Motorsport P50 "Greens"...

This is THE ONLY, let me say again THE ONLY pad designed for the PCCB. This pad is made by Pagid for Porsche Motorsport.

It all comes down to what you have heard. Plenty of people run PCCB and have years on them, literally. You need to do a few things to be certain they last...

a) Proper cool down after sessions
b) Run with the gizmos off as this kills the rear pads/rotors when traction control kicks in
c) Proper pads and proper pad life! Most people swap out pads with 40-50% left to be sure nothing happens

Running the "P50 Greens" with PCCB has been great - plenty of bite when they heat up. Again, make sure you really heat them up or you are in for a ride come the first turn!

Now you just showing off. LOL.
      08-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Now you just showing off. LOL.
Wait till I get it back from Champion Motorsport next week
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I have yet to see a 2010 without the checkered flag design on the side. Is it a "delete" option?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It is a delete option on the RS.

But the pic is a (non-RS) GT3.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 01:19 AM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wait till I get it back from Champion Motorsport next week
This Champion???

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
It is a delete option on the RS.

But the pic is a (non-RS) GT3.
Correct - just a regular GT3.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This Champion???
Yes - the trailer picked my car up last Friday and work should be finished by Friday of this week.

I will post a few shots when I get the car back!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Please post pic's when you get your car back!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Bump for pics? If you even get out of the car!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #17
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Car will be done this week - I will update then

Front RSS Mono ball kit with rear lower Control arms with RSS Thrust Bushing and Monoball A-Arm Kit.

RSS Adjustable Upper Rear links

RSS Competition Roll Bar ( Buttoning up some of the finishing touches )

Colored Protective Film for the Front Headlights and Fogs/ LEDS

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #18
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
This isn't a "bash Porsche" thread, and it might not even be in the right section, but I want to tap into the collective consciousness on PCCB brakes and how they've been standing up lately. If you track your M3, you spend a lot of time hanging out with Porsche drivers.

I've done two track days in the last three weeks, and one of the participants at both is a gentleman who, depending on how he's feeling about things on the day, turns up in either his CGT or his 2010 GT3RS. The CGT is his favored track car, although he's been using his GT3RS a lot lately.

That's because the CGT is sidelined to replace the brake rotors and it takes a while to get them from Germany. It came with PCCB but he's replacing them with cast iron. The car, as I understand it, has about 10,000 virtually all-track miles, so the PCCB's have done well.

The lovely new (and it's gorgeous) GT3RS has already been switched from its original PCCB's to cast iron. I don't know exactly when it was delivered, but it's probably only three months old or so, so it's very recent production.

I'd seen the car a month or so back with the PCCB's on it, and when I saw it two weeks ago with cast iron rotors I asked the owner what was up. He said the PCCB's lasted three track days and that was it; the rotors were worn out and had to be replaced.

Porsche told him that PCCB rotors have been re-engineered recently, and that's why his GT3 brakes wore out so fast. Given Porsche's vast capabilities in making brakes for sports applications, it sounds very odd that they would re-engineer their top-tier product and have it turn out worse than the "regular" stuff.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this?
Well, when I had my GT3 a couple years ago, most of the guys I tracked with swapped out their PCCB's for Iron after the PCCB's wore out because it was much cheaper. Also, being as these guys did a lot of tracking, they figured it was simply cheaper and easier to stay with Iron.

I don't think they disliked the PCCB's of thought there was a longevity issue with them (I never heard a complaint other than cost).

However, being as Porsche has redisigned them, I guess it's possible they are making them a bit more robust? I dunno, but I never heard a complaint from the guys I used to run with.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #19
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Well, when I had my GT3 a couple years ago, most of the guys I tracked with swapped out their PCCB's for Iron after the PCCB's wore out because it was much cheaper. Also, being as these guys did a lot of tracking, they figured it was simply cheaper and easier to stay with Iron.

I don't think they disliked the PCCB's of thought there was a longevity issue with them (I never heard a complaint other than cost).

However, being as Porsche has redisigned them, I guess it's possible they are making them a bit more robust? I dunno, but I never heard a complaint from the guys I used to run with.
This guy liked his PCCB's, they just wore out after three track days. Consensus above is that he was using the pads that came with the car, which are not suitable for the track. Sounds plausible to me - it's an easy mistake to make (or does the GT3RS owner's manual say "Change pads before going to the track"?)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Martin's car is SICK!!!! Pic's on 6-speed.
I'll let him post where ever he feels is appropriate.

And I'm pretty sure the cars with PCCB include instructiosn not to use the street pads on the track and they can ONLY use the Porsche track pad at the track.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #21
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Martin's car is SICK!!!! Pic's on 6-speed.
I'll let him post where ever he feels is appropriate.

And I'm pretty sure the cars with PCCB include instructiosn not to use the street pads on the track and they can ONLY use the Porsche track pad at the track.
His car is stunning!!!
      08-12-2010, 01:37 AM   #22
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

freakin sick cars

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0