BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

mdm in pre sept build 1 hump?

since the sept builds will now have an mdrive option without needing the sat-nav, whats the chance on getting the software on a pre-sept build? I really only care about mdm (no edc, or servotronic), and since mdm is simply a set of parameters to dsc, it seems like it would be mainly a software upgrade.

thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

I doubt you will get BMW to do it, but maybe an aftermarket tuner software company can do it for you.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCHOSTO View Post
I doubt you will get BMW to do it, but maybe an aftermarket tuner software company can do it for you.
I would like to know just one aftermarket company that sells a software upgrade for DSC, any DSC.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

You're right, its likely mostly software. Three potential issues:

1) It might very likely not *completely* be software, though. The obvious stumbling block is the lack of M button on the steering wheel. Can the car that isn't equipped with MDrive from the factory have it's "Change Audio Source" button reprogrammed to act as the M Button, and activate MDrive?

2) VDO. The car doesn't have MDrive equipped from the factory. So a standard BMW software upgrade is not going to cut it. Instead, you'd have to do a custom install of some sort, and risk screwing things up.

3) Incompatibilities. How do we know that after installing all the necessary software to get MDrive functionality, there is not some incompatibility with either the older car's hardware, or the older car's software in other modules that must communicate with the new software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyj View Post
since the sept builds will now have an mdrive option without needing the sat-nav, whats the chance on getting the software on a pre-sept build? I really only care about mdm (no edc, or servotronic), and since mdm is simply a set of parameters to dsc, it seems like it would be mainly a software upgrade.

thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I would like to know just one aftermarket company that sells a software upgrade for DSC, any DSC.
You are right. I was thinking about the Power function of the M-Drive, not MDM. Ignore my post it's worthless.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyj View Post

thoughts?
Can you point to the info that states that mDrive (i.e. MDM, particularly the middle setting for the EDC) is available as an option without the Tech Package? I have not seen that.

Thanks.

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
Can you point to the info that states that mDrive (i.e. MDM, particularly the middle setting for the EDC) is available as an option without the Tech Package? I have not seen that.

Thanks.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...9&d=1278946032

But note, MDM is the "middle" setting for DSC, not for EDC as you had stated.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...9&d=1278946032

But note, MDM is the "middle" setting for DSC, not for EDC as you had stated.
Ooops. That's what I meant of course... Thanks.

Thanks the PDF. I had missed that. The document is not very clear whether the middle setting of DSC (MDM for M Dynamic Mode) is actually part of M drive. Seems like M drive is really the ability to store a combination of settings. However, considering that MDM is no longer part of the package that replaces the Tech Package, it is fair to assume it is now standard.

I thought I would miss MDM but now that I am used to turning off the DSC altogether at the track, I doubt I would use it much....

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The document is not very clear whether the middle setting of DSC (MDM for M Dynamic Mode) is actually part of M drive. Seems like M drive is really the ability to store a combination of settings. However, considering that MDM is no longer part of the package that replaces the Tech Package, it is fair to assume it is now standard.
Yeah, given how the stand-alone MDrive option has been packaged in Europe and elsewhere from the get-go, we can assume that MDM is part of the deal. What's not clear yet is how MDrive is programmed. It might be like it is done for the GTS, or it might be something else.

Quote:
I thought I would miss MDM but now that I am used to turning off the DSC altogether at the track, I doubt I would use it much....
I don't track my car, but I do sometimes wish I had MDM for the street. I get power cuts (sometimes long ones) a lot when launching from a stop, especially when turning. MDM might aleviate this somewhat.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Ooops. That's what I meant of course... Thanks.

Thanks the PDF. I had missed that. The document is not very clear whether the middle setting of DSC (MDM for M Dynamic Mode) is actually part of M drive. Seems like M drive is really the ability to store a combination of settings. However, considering that MDM is no longer part of the package that replaces the Tech Package, it is fair to assume it is now standard.

that's my feeling. Mdrive is just a selection of settings. Once there is a non idrive interface to the settigs the only thing missing is the button.

Being a programmer I wouldn't be surprised that the abilitybis there just the interface is lacking

whas VDO?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCHOSTO View Post
You are right. I was thinking about the Power function of the M-Drive, not MDM. Ignore my post it's worthless.
Something like this? http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...=SPRINTBOOSTER
Appreciate 0