BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
I Wanna go Fast!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 l E90 l AW l PREMIUM l TECH

Bill Jacobs BMW crappy service round 2

So the other day I mentioned they couldn't even get my hood shut properly. Ok, so maybe that is not a big deal as some of you said.

So last night I notice a bunch of oil on my garage floor.

WTF, it didn't leak before I am thinking... I did a quick and found that it is the oil cap. (thank you m3post members for the info).

Is this also normal with BMW techs?

I must say this all makes me a bit nervous to have them do any serious work when they can't shut a hood or put an oil cap on right.
      08-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

I can't say that I blame you man!

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Bill Jacobs BMW is the worst of the worst. The trashed my wife's X3 so many times - she wrote a letter to BMW!!
      08-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

They probably slightly-overfilled your oil because the sensor is slow. The hood needs to be dropped from 3 feet to close properly, not slammed shut with your hands.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
I Wanna go Fast!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
They probably slightly-overfilled your oil because the sensor is slow. The hood needs to be dropped from 3 feet to close properly, not slammed shut with your hands.
Nope, the rubber washer on the cap was bunch up.
      08-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
I Wanna go Fast!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Bill Jacobs BMW is the worst of the worst. The trashed my wife's X3 so many times - she wrote a letter to BMW!!
Really, where do you take yours now? Patrick is Schaumburg?
      08-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
PoorMan
Hello my name is...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT

Again you could have prevented this by checking the damn car out before leaving the dealership.. I bet that when you bought your car, you just jumped in and said "They inspected the car" then drove of sight unseen right? And he's probably gonna countinue going to this dealer as well..

Even the best dealer is going to have a lapse in quality. Nothings like your fantasy world, where everything works as advertised and trust is a household word.. Reality check bub, real life isn't like that. Look at NASA, they double and triple check things, yet crap can and as history has shown still happen.

Hint: Pre Check..

LOL If you ever get a pilots license? Remind me, so I'll be sure to be in a hardend concrete bunker..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
I Wanna go Fast!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMan View Post
Again you could have prevented this by checking the damn car out before leaving the dealership.. I bet that when you bought your car, you just jumped in and said "They inspected the car" then drove of sight unseen right? And he's probably gonna countinue going to this dealer as well..

Even the best dealer is going to have a lapse in quality. Nothings like your fantasy world, where everything works as advertised and trust is a household word.. Reality check bub, real life isn't like that. Look at NASA, they double and triple check things, yet crap can and as history has shown still happen.

LOL If you ever get a pilots license? Remind me, so I'll be sure to be in a hardend concrete bunker..

I have owned 2 hondas and a toyota never had a problem with them being able to get a oil cap on correctly.

You are a dip shit if you think this is acceptable

So when they put new brake pads on do you go into the shop when the wheels are still off and make sure they "did it right" ?

Your just some douche from West LA, why should I even care
      08-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Go to Patrick and ask for the SA Temo
      08-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Dude, you're way over the top! The only one who could have PREVENTED the issue was the tech who did the work. The owner is not responsible for verifying the technical expertise of the technician. Whether the driver checked the cap or not, the tech still screwed up the job. And the cap doesn't leak until pressure builds.

So you trying to say that you open the hood after service, unscrew the cap, and then reinstall it to make sure it's on correctly? Yeah right. If you do your own service, good for you, but don't slam the guy for expecting basic service to be performed properly.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Wanna go Fast! View Post
Really, where do you take yours now? Patrick is Schaumburg?
Motorwerks
      08-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Wanna go Fast! View Post
Nope, the rubber washer on the cap was bunch up.
Just as an FYI, they can also do the same thing to the gasket on the oil filter housing, leading to the same puddle on the garage floor. Ask me how I know this.

Probably time to switch dealers for your service needs.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
I Wanna go Fast!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Motorwerks
Thanks! I gonna call BMW NA and have them change my preferred dealer.
      08-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
greycrx87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 ZCP

Bill Jacobs has the worst service in Chicago Land, I switched to Elmhurst, they're a bit better.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
xxxryno
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Timo Bakir
(847) 310-4318
tbakir@patrickcars.com

Timo has been a pleasure to deal with; very knowledgeable, always professional--never a problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #16
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

Yeup I switched from Bill Jacobs too..They suck. Thank god living in the Chicago area we have so many dealerships to choose from. A lot of people have to drive over 100 miles just to get to theirs. I have 2 with in 10 miles of me. (bill jacobs and Westmont). Westmont was good. I had Andre Devera but he seems to have left. Spoke to another person to set up an appointment for a recall on my 135i (I think his name was bob) and he seemed nice..We shall see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #17
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:

Ridiculous post.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #18
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:

LOL ok buddy... do you take your torque wrench with you when you get new tires put on as well?

I'm all for double checking things but even I would assume for $120+/hour they could get an oil cap on right and the hood latched.
      08-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #19
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:

Wow. Talk about swatting a fly with a nuke!

There's actually a good suggestion here: given the history with the oil cap gasket (which is a PITA--and which we probably are more aware of than the random tech) it might pay to double check things. But man, it's not so much what you say as how you say it.

I actually think Elp_JC probably has the right idea with his "do it yourself" policy when it comes to oil changes and brake flushes. Sure, the free maintenance is "nice" but experiences like the OP had here, and the other recent one where the car lost all oil (due to the drain bolt being incorrectly installed) really give one pause on the actual value of the free service.

If you're capable of doing it yourself I think the scales tip in that direction (unless you have one of the top-performing dealerships--and I think a "check before you go" policy is warranted there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
I'm all for double checking things but even I would assume for $120+/hour they could get an oil cap on right and the hood latched.

Last edited by Finnegan; 08-26-2010 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #20
I Wanna go Fast!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxryno View Post
Timo Bakir
(847) 310-4318
tbakir@patrickcars.com

Timo has been a pleasure to deal with; very knowledgeable, always professional--never a problem.
I sent Timo an email, we'll see what he has to say.

Trust me, I will be checking from now on. Bought a couple of L 10W 60 to top it off myself in the future. But I will still have to go to BMW for other things, so I hope I can find a dependable one.
      08-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #21
BMWMFAN27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 IB M3

Garage List
They Fail.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #22
sehrgut
Major
Rep
Drives: emthree

Always check your car after pickup, some mechanics at the dealers are just depressed with everything and some might be jellous of your M3. Thats just my own experience, never to helpfull or concerned for you. Thats atlest how things went down for me when I had my e46 m3 and I think alot of it is because im fairly young, but idk, could be wrong, just sucks. Havn't been to much at the dealer with my e92....yet. *knock on wood*!

Last edited by sehrgut; 08-26-2010 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0