BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-27-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Launch control

Guys, I have not yet to use launch control, although I tried 2-3 times so far. In the car manual (the big book) it gives me different directions that the "smaller book". One says push the shift stick forward and hold and the other says push break with left foot after putting the car on manual. Which one? I have tried to disae DSC then put the throttle response up to max and hold the shift stuck forward, nothing happened. Tried with M pushed and not pushed. My car isn't in the break-in period, I have 7k on it. Any feedback. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

You need to turn the DSC off in the M menu then take it up to S6. I have never got it to work quite right but I do get the checkered flag to come up and get it to revv. When I release the stick though the engine usually comes down to about 2500rpm and then I take off. It's still fast as hell but really not that much faster than if you just floor it with the car in MDM and automatic. The car shifts itself at the redline so it's pure perfection.

Chest
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Guys, I have not yet to use launch control, although I tried 2-3 times so far. In the car manual (the big book) it gives me different directions that the "smaller book". One says push the shift stick forward and hold and the other says push break with left foot after putting the car on manual. Which one?
The first is correct - push the stick forward and hold. You'll see the flag icon come up.

Quote:
I have tried to disae DSC then put the throttle response up to max and hold the shift stuck forward, nothing happened. Tried with M pushed and not pushed. My car isn't in the break-in period, I have 7k on it. Any feedback. Thanks
Throttle response ("Power" setting, in BMW parlance) has nothing to do with it. You must put the DCT in S6 mode, which becomes available once you turn off DSC.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok I just tried everything today and couldn't see the checker flag in my display. Here is what I did, so tell me what am I doing wrong:
1) put the car in M with throttle adjustment full bars. Disabled the DSC. put EDC on sport. Pushed the shifter forward and held it. No flag
2) disabled DSC. Full throttle bars. EDC sport. Pushed the brake with left foot and started to push gas but felt the car trying to move. I didn't push all the way though. But no flag.
I'm getting a little frustrated
I'm getting a little frustrated and confused, especially with the 2 completely different methods mentioned in the big manual and the small manual. Please advise.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

How many miles are on the car??

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The first is correct - push the stick forward and hold. You'll see the flag icon come up.

Throttle response ("Power" setting, in BMW parlance) has nothing to do with it. You must put the DCT in S6 mode, which becomes available once you turn off DSC.
Man. I just tried it (in my garage though) and it worked. Thanks a lot. I guess the trick they don't mention is that S6 becomes only available when you disable DSC. THanks for pointing that out. Checker flag in the display (done)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Boosted_Brian
United_States
Rep
Drives: It moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Man. I just tried it (in my garage though) and it worked. Thanks a lot. I guess the trick they don't mention is that S6 becomes only available when you disable DSC. THanks for pointing that out. Checker flag in the display (done)
When I read the first part, this post could have gone terribly wrong. "I just tried it my garage and for the first time the flags came up. In my excitement I released the stick and launched the car into my house. I very upset, but my wife has been nagging for a new kitchen, so I guess now is the right time. On the other hand, at least I know the LC works."
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_Brian View Post
When I read the first part, this post could have gone terribly wrong. "I just tried it my garage and for the first time the flags came up. In my excitement I released the stick and launched the car into my house. I very upset, but my wife has been nagging for a new kitchen, so I guess now is the right time. On the other hand, at least I know the LC works."
Trust me, the thought crossed my mind and I had to focus really hard to make sure I don't do that. The good thing is the flag shows up before you push the gas pedal. I didn't push gas and was just satisfied with seeing the flag. The rest is easy and will try it later. At least now I know what to do
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #9
ajminn
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Okay. I'm still having trouble getting LC to work. Here's what I do.

Disable EDC.
Change program to S6.
Push gear selector lever forward and hold.
Nothing.

I've tried with the brake depresses and without. Should I be on the throttle at all during the procedure? Any help? 09 e90 with 27k miles. Bought used and the 1200 mile service was done. Thanks for any help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajminn View Post
Okay. I'm still having trouble getting LC to work. Here's what I do.

Disable EDC.
Change program to S6.
Push gear selector lever forward and hold.
Nothing.

I've tried with the brake depresses and without. Should I be on the throttle at all during the procedure? Any help? 09 e90 with 27k miles. Bought used and the 1200 mile service was done. Thanks for any help in advance.
Your engine has to be warmed up before you can use it. A good way to check is to go into your vehicle info and see if the oil level has registered. If it has, usually LC is available. Also something to note is that if you go into LC and cancel it or don't actually launch, it still places a 15 min delay until you can use it again.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
How many miles are on the car??
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Also make sure you are on a level street. if there's an incline/decline it won't activate (at least from my experience)
Appreciate 0