BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

09-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Your settings for a perfect take off from a traffic light??

At the risk of being called a “less experienced driver” I am posting this question.
This car has so many sittings and compared to other high performance cars on the street it does not offer the best low RPM torque, so I thought I’ll get your experiences and see if I’m missing something or if I can improve on what I’m doing. When I find myself in a red light next to a mustang, with a driver who wants to go home and tell his friends how he smoked an M3. I feel the need to defend M3’s reputation (I still smoke the mustang in any setting). I experimented with different settings to get the best take off (WITHOUT TIRE BURNOUT) or much pre-revving (in other words, classy but exhilarating take off) and so far these are my observations:
1) (M mode fully charged settings + MDM) offers the best free start with minimal DSC interference in the middle but without revving the car; the first second performance is weak.
2) (M mode + DSC off) leads to tire spinning otherwise if I take it easy in the beginning I still get a weak first second performance
3) DSC on = horrible take off
4) Launch control = pre-revving and tire spinning
Have you guys tried everything else and found out the best setting to get a perfect take off?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
cichlid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LeMans Blue (on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
At the risk of being called a “less experienced driver” I am posting this question.
This car has so many sittings and compared to other high performance cars on the street it does not offer the best low RPM torque, so I thought I’ll get your experiences and see if I’m missing something or if I can improve on what I’m doing. When I find myself in a red light next to a mustang, with a driver who wants to go home and tell his friends how he smoked an M3. I feel the need to defend M3’s reputation (I still smoke the mustang in any setting). I experimented with different settings to get the best take off (WITHOUT TIRE BURNOUT) or much pre-revving (in other words, classy but exhilarating take off) and so far these are my observations:
1) (M mode fully charged settings + MDM) offers the best free start with minimal DSC interference in the middle but without revving the car; the first second performance is weak.
2) (M mode + DSC off) leads to tire spinning otherwise if I take it easy in the beginning I still get a weak first second performance
Have you guys tried everything else and found out the best setting to get a perfect take off?
There's talk about a "poor man's launch" I've not tried it.

I think they say, (Assuming you have DCT) with power button on, hammer it, and the revers will go to 4000, then very quickly the cluch will let out. If you back the tthrottle at the right moment you can control the spin, but get a start at high rev.

Others will know more. There's a current thread about it
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
There's talk about a "poor man's launch" I've not tried it.

I think they say, (Assuming you have DCT) with power button on, hammer it, and the revers will go to 4000, then very quickly the cluch will let out. If you back the tthrottle at the right moment you can control the spin, but get a start at high rev.

Others will know more. There's a current thread about it
That's correct, doesn't really make any difference about the power setting, DSC off of course. While not as extreme as launch control, it's still abusive and not something I would recommend with any frequency. DCT is simply not a drag racing transmission, unless you're willing to accept frequent maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
m3rav4civic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

What if instead of a "perfect takeoff", I just want "spirited acceleration"? Suppose I'm at a stop light in the left lane, my exit is 100 yards ahead on the right, and I want to make sure I'm ahead of all the cars lined up on my right? How do I take off quickly without all that f#*!ing bucking that my DCT gives me when I go even half throttle?? I've read the threads, but the only advice I seem to see is "take your foot completely off the throttle, and the bucking will stop". Does anyone else who experiences this bucking phenomenon have a better solution??
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
toper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C4S Cab

Quote:
Here's a good video explanation of your points 1-3:

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 02:33 AM   #6
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

The speed at which you press the accelerator determines the speed of the clutch engagement and the preset engine revs. So the faster you press the accelerator the higher the revs and the quicker (harsher) the clutch is engaged....using MDM will limit the wheelspin to a reasonable level, the other settings aren't crucial.
With practice you should be able to get a good getaway without too much interference from the DSC.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 03:32 AM   #7
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3rav4civic View Post
What if instead of a "perfect takeoff", I just want "spirited acceleration"? Suppose I'm at a stop light in the left lane, my exit is 100 yards ahead on the right, and I want to make sure I'm ahead of all the cars lined up on my right? How do I take off quickly without all that f#*!ing bucking that my DCT gives me when I go even half throttle?? I've read the threads, but the only advice I seem to see is "take your foot completely off the throttle, and the bucking will stop". Does anyone else who experiences this bucking phenomenon have a better solution??
I agree. The DSC bucking makes you look like a stick shift driver who can't execute a clutch engagement. I don't think you can have a decent take off while DSC is on. You'll need to experiment with either MDM or DSC off. That's why I posted the question
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 04:36 AM   #8
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toper View Post
Here's a good video explanation of your points 1-3:

The link won't open. What do I need to put in the search? I tried almost everything
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #9
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

DSC = MDM
Drivelogic = S5
Power = Sport Plus

In other words my M button settings.

You should have no problem with this. I can get good launches with just very slight wheel spin in some cases.
      09-06-2010, 05:10 AM   #10
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
DSC = MDM
Drivelogic = S5
Power = Sport Plus

You should have no problem with this. I can get good launches with just very slight wheel spin in some cases.
My M settings are the sane as yours except that I have it on D5 instead, do you think that makes a difference? It shouldn't, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
toper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C4S Cab

Quote:
The link won't open. What do I need to put in the search? I tried almost everything
link works for me on my desktop, but it won't work on my ipad for some reason...do a search for Fifth Gear's M3 (E92) review and watch the part where Tiff Needel goes over the traction control settings...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
Emil
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT

Quote:
DSC = MDM
Drivelogic = S5
Power = Sport Plus

+1
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Perfect take-off? How about 1K rpm, smoothly engage clutch, enjoy a leisurely drive, and make the Mustang's owner day , thinking it beat an M3. And to be truthful, A LOT of Mustangs can beat an M3, so why engage in a potentially dangerous 'my penis is larger than yours' street race? Just saying .
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
henryyxyu
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: YXZ

Quote:
DSC = MDM
Drivelogic = S5
Power = Sport Plus

I personally do S6 and no problems there. On a personal note, I don't think its a great idea to be launching off in public streets.. Launching it on a drag strip or somewhere at the track is a much better idea than street racing IMO but to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #15
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryyxyu View Post
I personally do S6 and no problems there. On a personal note, I don't think its a great idea to be launching off in public streets.. Launching it on a drag strip or somewhere at the track is a much better idea than street racing IMO but to each his own.
Not street racing, just smartly moving out from a stop. Not interested in street racing personally. Had my thrills at M School.
      09-07-2010, 01:08 AM   #16
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My M settings are the sane as yours except that I have it on D5 instead, do you think that makes a difference? It shouldn't, right?
I don't think I would assume that S5 and D5 are equivalent except for the auto shifting. I don't know that they are otherwise different but I would suspect that the automatic aspect alone would result in different behavior. I use D only for cruising. Anything else and I hit "M".
      09-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #17
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not street racing, just smartly moving out from a stop. Not interested in street racing personally. Had my thrills at M School.
Agree. I almost never exceed 9m/h more than the speed limit onthe street but if the limit is 55m/h then in a traffic light I can do 0-60 fast, I guess
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3rav4civic View Post
How do I take off quickly without all that f#*!ing bucking that my DCT gives me when I go even half throttle?? I've read the threads, but the only advice I seem to see is "take your foot completely off the throttle, and the bucking will stop". Does anyone else who experiences this bucking phenomenon have a better solution??
If you floor it, the car will not buck. In other situations, if you use the Normal "Power" setting you will be less apt to buck because the small pedal movements will not cause nearly as much throttle input.
Appreciate 0