BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
ray-sf
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez black M3 Coupe

It really sucks. 1200 miles service with DCT campaign (one week)

I just send my m3 to do 1200 service in this wednesday. when I make a appointment by phone, they tell me 1200 service just a one hour service for oil change. Then I came to dealer, my SA said it also has a open campaign now. And BMW required them to finished it. First they said it take one and half day, I can take it Thursday afternoon.

In thursday, they called me said that after they update software of my car, the program fail, and control unit didn't work now. They need order another control unit to replace it. It may take a few days.

In friday afternoon( now), they call me again. They said new control unit was arrived, but it didn't fixed the problem. The BMW said they need to order a new high elastic unit to replace first, then replace control unit. As the result, I need to wait at least next Tuesday. Besides, they can't degrade the software.

I know the open campaign is for log problem. But my DCT transmission worked very good before service. I just need a sample oil change, and BMW required a suck software upgrade. It is shit. And the upgrade lead to some parts of my car can't work under new software. They order and replace this unit and that unit. I think it is a repair more than a service. I met a one week service and drive a 328i instead of my new m3.

By the way, I am not good at english. I just try to explain what just happen to me this week.

The list is the link for this suck campaign http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B280110g.htm
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
cvbm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi (Euro Delivery)

What kind of loaner did they give you to drive?
      10-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
ray-sf
Rep

328 coupe
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

god dam, that sucks. at least u got a loaner car though.
      10-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Gmstevenson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-sf View Post
I just send my m3 to do 1200 service in this wednesday. when I make a appointment by phone, they tell me 1200 service just a one hour service for oil change. Then I came to dealer, my SA said it also has a open campaign now. And BMW required them to finished it. First they said it take one and half day, I can take it Thursday afternoon.

In thursday, they called me said that after they update software of my car, the program fail, and control unit didn't work now. They need order another control unit to replace it. It may take a few days.

In friday afternoon( now), they call me again. They said new control unit was arrived, but it didn't fixed the problem. The BMW said they need to order a new high elastic unit to replace first, then replace control unit. As the result, I need to wait at least next Tuesday. Besides, they can't degrade the software.

I know the open campaign is for log problem. But my DCT transmission worked very good before service. I just need a sample oil change, and BMW required a suck software upgrade. It is shit. And the upgrade lead to some parts of my car can't work under new software. They order and replace this unit and that unit. I think it is a repair more than a service. I met a one week service and drive a 328i instead of my new m3.

By the way, I am not good at english. I just try to explain what just happen to me this week.

The list is the link for this suck campaign http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B280110g.htm
Where did you take it for your 1200 mile service? I also live in SF and am trying to decide where to take mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
ray-sf
Rep

I think BMW of San Francisco may be a good choice.
I did it in another city.

But unfortunately this open campaign is not a option, it is required.
So even you car work very good before, you need to do this campaign when your car services in BMW dealer.

GOOD LUCK
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #7
toper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C4S Cab

got my 1200 this week and they gave me the option for dct update...i said hells no, i want to read up on it first. but it is not required afaik, hope everything works out for you...keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
ttt
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

I'd be ok with doing a mandatory DCT software update as prescribed by BMWNA. But I definitely won't be ok with a software update that takes 1 week. To me that is a sign of gross incompetence. Care to share the name of the dealership so that others can avoid it?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
But unfortunately this open campaign is not a option, it is required.
That's crap. No way I'd have taken my car if it was working properly, especially without a full explanation why the new update is needed. Seems like every time I read about freaking software updates (on anything), something goes wrong. Then you can't use the stupid car. Ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #10
ray-sf
Rep

I do it in peter pan BMW, my SA tell me it is required upgrade.
I think one service last one week is unacceptable. If they aren't not sure to finished the upgrade on time , they shouldn't begin.

I didn't know there is a problem on new software or on dealer's service ?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
toper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C4S Cab

Quote:
I think one service last one week is unacceptable. If they aren't not sure to finished the upgrade on time , they shouldn't begin.

I didn't know there is a problem on new software or on dealer's service ?

WOW, i ended up going to peterpan as well (on wed too!)...who was your SA?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
With that name, what did you expect? Seriously, what the hell were the owners thinking when naming a BMW dealership like that ?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 01:41 AM   #13
ray-sf
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
With that name, what did you expect? Seriously, what the hell were the owners thinking when naming a BMW dealership like that ?
i just post my situation, you can choose which dealer you want.

In fact, my SA is so nice to help me to fix this problem,call me everyday to tell me what's going on.

Maybe my case is a special case. But it happened to me now. Result to I need to do a 1200 miles service from this week to next week. Do you want to your car work perfectly before, and then stay one week in dealer for a service?

Besides this software upgrade, the 1200 miles service originally take about one or two hours.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #14
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

A software upgrade causing a failure in a control unit is not an uncommon problem. What is causing the aggro is the lack of parts being held by BMW USA rather than dealer incompetence.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
SFPunjabi
DJ Singh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 6MT

I went to sonnen, in Marin, they were great
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #16
bspears
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3E93

I just got my car back after a three day stay for its 1200 mile service. They did the software "upgrade" for the DCT and now I am getting an ABS warning. Back to the shop on monday. I just lemoned my 2009 E93. Do they make any cars that actually work?
      10-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #17
Frozen Black Panther
Captain
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2013 550 DINAN STAGE 2

your complaining for a few days? they had my car 1 month waiting for glass and inner door panel from germany so basically i paid $1000 for an x3 last month
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #18
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
[/url]
This happened to me also! I took it in for the "2 hour 1200 mile service" and then they call me back saying it has a recall open and they need to keep the car for 2 days. I asked them what the recall was for and when they said some aftermarket scan tools couldn't read some memory and new DCT sw needed to be installed, I told them under no circumstances were they allowed to do that DCT firmware upgrade.

2 days for a firmware update? That's absurd. Do they need to enter the new firmware by typing 1s and 0s on a keyboard?

Pat
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #19
semperfi1776
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe Silverstone

I just got the same software upgrade this week at BMW SF. My SA was Cedric. Dropped the car off on Tues. and got it back on Wed morning. Did my 1200 mi service there and a routine brake fluid flush there. Haven't had any problems with BMW SF so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

For some reason, programming the car isn't like just getting the latest security patch from Microsoft. Some times it doesn't take and they have to do it again... and it takes hours.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #21
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
A software upgrade causing a failure in a control unit is not an uncommon problem. What is causing the aggro is the lack of parts being held by BMW USA rather than dealer incompetence.
SFP, can you explain? To me installing software through via official processes should not brick the f**king car. I mean that is flat out insane. Just how bad is BMW's competence overall, when they cannot even get the computers and related infrastucture correct? I mean this is bad - like two steps below Microsoft bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #22
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
SFP, can you explain? To me installing software through via official processes should not brick the f**king car. I mean that is flat out insane. Just how bad is BMW's competence overall, when they cannot even get the computers and related infrastucture correct? I mean this is bad - like two steps below Microsoft bad.
I have read here of a few instances of control unit failures during a Software update (I don't believe its a DCT specific problem) and I recall the tech I spoke to when my car was in for an update noting that the update can take a while if the update fails or a control unit fails.
Sounds crazy but....
Appreciate 0