BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
RICHIEC335
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335 Coupe

Damaged m3 from dealer..

Need Opinions.. LONG..

I’m an avid reader on this forum however, I do not post much. I came from a 335i and I now own a 2011 M3 Coupe JET Black DCT. I purchased the car from Prestige BMW in NJ. Car was ordered to my specifications and delivered within six weeks.

My issue: The car had 1000 miles on it and I saw something very weird on the lower ¼ panel passenger side. It was clearly a dent, however no scratches or damage to the paint. I became very upset thinking someone has hit my brand new car and I now have a dent the size of my fist. Keep in mind, car is garage kept, and parked by absolutely NO cars. I returned my 335i with 0 damage, no scratches, dings nada.
Right away I call in a paint less dent removal professional to review the damage. He explained that due to the location of the dent he would need to access the lower panel from the interior, this would involve peeling back the interior paneling to expose the sheet metal. He would then need to drill a small hole as an access point to the damaged area. I was very hesitant with his recommendation and he explained the only other way he could approach the dent is utilizing the hot glue suction cup method in which never comes out perfect. After some thought I gave him the permission to access the panel from the interior. Once he opened the panel his faced dropped and called me over, he stated “someone has already tried to fix this dent” I go that’s impossible the car is BRANDNEW! He then shows me two holes drilled into the panel one with a cap and one open. SEE PIC. At this point I’m in total shock and extremely ticked off.
Long story short he attempts to access the dent from these holes and failed, he explained there is a beam blocking the damage area. Explaining why the dent was never repaired initially. He then moved forward with the suction cup method, this alternative was nothing but a waste of time. Dent is still there just moved around. I paid him $250.00 for his services, he also wrote me an e-mail stating his exact findings.
From here I call my dealer and ask for a clear explanation of WHY my car has two holes drilled through the panel and a dent!?! They replied and said they have zero record of the car ever being repaired and to contact corporate BMW. Thank you very much PRESTIGE!
You think they would ask to see the car, speak with a manager, no absolutely nothing. I call corporate and explain the details to the representative, he leaves a detailed message with the GM of the dealer. This was weeks ago and I still haven’t received a call. Basically the dealer wants nothing to do with my problem, and probably thinks I’m trying to push off a $250.00 repair on them. Meanwhile I’m paying a hefty monthly payment on a high end car that was released to me damaged. Now every time I get in the car I feel sick to my stomach. I work 60-70+hrs a week and have 0 time to deal with this garbage, I really want to take the car back to the dealer and start a WAR..

Your thoughts and advice?

11-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I don't know how it works in the US, but could the transport company have damaged your car and then tried to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Man, who the hell is transporting these cars? Have read too many stories like yours lately. What I've read is dealers don't have to disclose damage during transit, which is total BS to me, but the big difference here is it WASN'T FIXED. And you have proof it was there all along, and it was attempted to get it fixed but failed. And most importantly, they didn't notify you of damage NOT FIXED. Fixing it would involve filler and then blend the area, which is the absolute minimum they should do. And what I'd do, since replacing the panel involves cutting and welding, not to mention messing with your interior quite a bit, and then blending paint all around (roof, door, trunk, etc). And I have to say, I thought holes for doing that kind of PDR were small; those are HUGE .

Just due to the fact damage wasn't even fixed and you were not notified, I'd raise big time hell indeed. BUT I'd get the money and do it on your own with a reputable bodyshop, and never set foot on that dealership again. They had to know car was damaged, and they absolutely had to notice that dent (too bad you didn't). Good luck, and keep us posted man.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
The car was delivered to you with 1k miles, or you didn't notice before you put 1k mikes on it? Minor repairs happen ask the time before delivery, the only strange thing about this one is that it was apparently delivered damaged and you didn't notice.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Yup, sounds like some Hellraising is in order. I'd show up down there unannounced with the car and insist on some resolution.

You could also try and get information on exactly how the car was shipped with which companies, etc. and track down who spotted and damage and "repaired" it. Otherwise they can just sit there and claim YOU damaged it...
      11-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
RICHIEC335
Private
Rep

That is the grey area and what they have against me, and I’m kicking myself in the ass for not noticing the dent. Something I should’ve definitely seen.
The car was delivered with only a few miles on it, I put the 1k on the car.
I was clearly taking the blame for the damage and attempting to get it fixed but once I noticed two holes in the panel, the tides definitely shifted and it was clear the car was damaged either at the dealer or in transport.
The dent is not easily visible you have to be at the correct angle to see it and the car must be perfectly clean.
      11-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

^^+1...
The car had 1k miles at timeof delivery, or did you notice the dent at 1k miles?
Also, did you inspect the car at time of delivery?
Before I pick up any new car, I walk through it with a fine toothed comb before signing anything.
Also, the manufacterer is allowed to repair damages incurred during shipping...
      11-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
ssemerod
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92

I feel your pain. in 05 a brand new 545 was inspected by me thoroughly, once i got home I then noticed a dent in the lower door panel.. too late for me sucka.

after re-visiting the same dealership over the years: MY BMW Monterey, I have noticed several cars on the lot with the same tell tale sign of an asshole car washer leaning into the panel
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
RICHIEC335
Private
Rep

Car had only transport miles on it, maybe 10-20 miles when I took delivery.

I did inspect the car however I failed to see the dent. I'm guessing my excitement after waiting nearly two months for the car affected my ability to find the damage. Disappointed by all means, I would have never took the car.

Yes the car can be repaired up to a value of 2k before disclosure. However, the car was never repaired, their attempt was unsuccessful.
      11-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
KJM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Man, who the hell is transporting these cars? Have read too many stories like yours lately. What I've read is dealers don't have to disclose damage during transit, which is total BS to me, but the big difference here is it WASN'T FIXED. And you have proof it was there all along, and it was attempted to get it fixed but failed. And most importantly, they didn't notify you of damage NOT FIXED. Fixing it would involve filler and then blend the area, which is the absolute minimum they should do. And what I'd do, since replacing the panel involves cutting and welding, not to mention messing with your interior quite a bit, and then blending paint all around (roof, door, trunk, etc). And I have to say, I thought holes for doing that kind of PDR were small; those are HUGE .

Just due to the fact damage wasn't even fixed and you were not notified, I'd raise big time hell indeed. BUT I'd get the money and do it on your own with a reputable bodyshop, and never set foot on that dealership again. They had to know car was damaged, and they absolutely had to notice that dent (too bad you didn't). Good luck, and keep us posted man.
LOL, if you seen how some cars are transported you wouldnt believe it. The guy driving the truck can care less if he is hauling BMWs or canned corn, same with the people in the holding lots, dealer jockeys etc.

I have had the same thing happen a couple times. Brand new car and I didnt notice a dent until I had it after a day or two and they were both parked where it couldnt happen, I was 99.9% I didnt do it but its hard to prove. Unfortunately both cars that happened to me on the dents were in spots that couldnt be fixed with PDR, which is why I suspect they were there when I bought them, looks like thats what happened to you too. So the choice was bodywork (both times the dealer offered to pay for it) or just leave it. While it made me sick to paint a new car I had it done both times, it would make me even sicker to look at the dent every day.

After 1000 miles its going to be a rough sell though, especially if the transport company did it and the dealer didnt notice.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
RICHIEC335
Private
Rep

When I was at the dealer I witnessed the transporter remove a 328 off the carrier and rip the lower panel off the car.. The dealer quickly replaced the panel with another off the lot, client took delivery of the car and had no idea!!
      11-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT (2013)

had a nissan dealer try to pull this stunt on me

...back in 2006, December 31st of all things I was picking up a new Nissan Titan (good time to get a great price on an 06 ). Anyway, all paperwork is signed after I haggled out $1000 under invoice + all the rebates. They had hold-back cash in the car, and it needed to be gone. Sales manager was glad to see it go...they bring the truck around for delivery...I start looking over it carefully and there is a gigantic scratch into the metal with a minor dent on the passenger door.

The sales guy doing the delivery actually expected me to take delivery stating that I already owned the car, and that they'd take care of the damage when I brought it back. Argument ensues (yah, the underlings were stupid enough to argue that I was legally the owner)...either way, I did not accept delivery. The sales manager comes out. I told him straight up that I want every dime of his hold-back. Grumbling ensues, the finance guy is upset...long story short. I got another $1800 off which I'm guessing was the majority of their hold-back cash.

Does not matter what the brand is, a dealership is a stealership...you will find dealers trying to hide damage or passing it off as minor. It's buyer beware when taking delivery on a vehicle. Unfortunately OP's only options are to take it to small claims court asking for maximum $ small claims can award. That's what I'd do anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x M3

Just wondering, who was your salesman, and your service advisor?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
KJM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
...back in 2006, December 31st of all things I was picking up a new Nissan Titan (good time to get a great price on an 06 ). Anyway, all paperwork is signed after I haggled out $1000 under invoice + all the rebates. They had hold-back cash in the car, and it needed to be gone. Sales manager was glad to see it go...they bring the truck around for delivery...I start looking over it carefully and there is a gigantic scratch into the metal with a minor dent on the passenger door.

The sales guy doing the delivery actually expected me to take delivery stating that I already owned the car, and that they'd take care of the damage when I brought it back. Argument ensues (yah, the underlings were stupid enough to argue that I was legally the owner)...either way, I did not accept delivery. The sales manager comes out. I told him straight up that I want every dime of his hold-back. Grumbling ensues, the finance guy is upset...long story short. I got another $1800 off which I'm guessing was the majority of their hold-back cash.

Does not matter what the brand is, a dealership is a stealership...you will find dealers trying to hide damage or passing it off as minor. It's buyer beware when taking delivery on a vehicle. Unfortunately OP's only options are to take it to small claims court asking for maximum $ small claims can award. That's what I'd do anyway.
In 2001 I bought a new Nissan for my wife, it was dark outside and the car was white, i looked it over pretty well for door dings etc. After the deal was signed and I was going to take it home the salesman ran over and asked me sign a disclosure that I know about the hail damage and I will let them off the hook for anything related to it.

I was like WTF, after looking closer there was a dozen or more minor small dents on the roof and top of the trunk lid. Turns out they reported the car to their insurance company after a recent hail storm, collected the money and only fixed the hood. Of course not fixing the roof and trunk lid was an oversight by the dent guy..

I was so pissed I walked on it, funny thing is in the time I was waiting for them to detail the new car, the used car manager already sold my trade to his sister and she was already there to pick it up and wasnt happy about losing it. It was an interesting show at the dealer that day lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
RICHIEC335
Private
Rep

Dave Kramer was my salesman, great salesman and an all around good guy.
Once I called to inform him of what happen he said he advised all the managers and there was nothing they could do. Last we talked..

Tony Circelli service manager.
      11-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #16
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I learned my lesson the hard way with my first nice car too ('96 SC400). Was too excited to scrutinize it, I guess, and I didn't know a brand new car could be damaged... and dealer try to hide it. After washing the car a few days later noticed the entire right-hand side was sand-blasted due to a storm during transit (open rail, turns out). Car was red, and could see white spots all over, meaning the millions of tiny specs were all the way to the primer, but only visible upon close inspection. Dealer told me it happened under my ownership. Told them car was 5 days old, car only had 100 miles, and weather had been perfect everywhere 50 miles around for those 5 days so it was impossible that it happened to me. They couldn't care less. Didn't take any legal action, but learned my lesson. Never bought another car from those a-holes. Live and learn .
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #17
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Yeah that's just flat out bullshit and I'm sorry it had to happen to you. Makes you start to wonder why you bothered will all the hassle and and expense in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #18
Dntlvet
Dntlvet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 M3 Sedan,13 GT-R BE,13 Pors

Wow, I guess we need to have one or two people along at pu to give independent assessment for damage. We tend to be flying high and overlook problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #19
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Sounds like the car was damaged in transport and VPC tried to correct it (or perhaps the dealer). Either way, you need to deal directly with BMW NA...and be a pain in the ass if you need to. Don't stop until you get the answer you want. I would push for them sending you a new door (or whatever body part is damaged) or replacing the car entirely.

As a reference point, when I was much younger my parents bought me a new Mustang and after putting about 400 miles on it, we discovered that the car had been repainted due to transport damage (we noticed it once we waxed the car for the first time and some of the new paint started coming off). My dad basically started calling Ford headquarters (and kept calling them) until he was able to speak to some executives to get the matter resolved. The dealer throughout the process was no help. Ford ulimately took the car back and gave us a full refund...we then went to a different Ford dealership and bought another Mustang. Moral of the story...you have to become a pain in the ass to sometimes get things done.

Good luck!

Last edited by dardeca; 11-04-2010 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #20
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM3 View Post
In 2001 I bought a new Nissan for my wife, it was dark outside and the car was white, i looked it over pretty well for door dings etc. After the deal was signed and I was going to take it home the salesman ran over and asked me sign a disclosure that I know about the hail damage and I will let them off the hook for anything related to it.

I was like WTF, after looking closer there was a dozen or more minor small dents on the roof and top of the trunk lid. Turns out they reported the car to their insurance company after a recent hail storm, collected the money and only fixed the hood. Of course not fixing the roof and trunk lid was an oversight by the dent guy..

I was so pissed I walked on it, funny thing is in the time I was waiting for them to detail the new car, the used car manager already sold my trade to his sister and she was already there to pick it up and wasnt happy about losing it. It was an interesting show at the dealer that day lol.

thats crazy , ur musta been
      11-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #21
RICHIEC335
Private
Rep

Thanks everyone for the input, I will update you on the outcome.. This should be interesting..
      11-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #22
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHIEC335 View Post
Dave Kramer was my salesman, great salesman and an all around good guy.
Once I called to inform him of what happen he said he advised all the managers and there was nothing they could do. Last we talked..

Tony Circelli service manager.
I know Dave. He's a good guy. Tony, not as well but like most SM, he is a slave to the dealer owner, not the customer.

I'm sorry to hear what you are saying, but if I'm reading your posts correctly basically you are saying you put over 1000 miles on the car and never noticed the dent till now? Unfortunately that definitely gives the dealer some leverage cause you didn't bring it back immediately to their attention when you drove away with the car the first time.

And even though I believe you that someone else tried to fix the hole, you already hired someone to open up the panel and remove the dent. Again, it gives some pause to the dealer that you could have been doing something in the time you owned the car.

But I believe you. If you say the dent was 100% there before you picked up the car, I say call BMW NA and give them hell. It sux but you got to fight for it if its going to bother you. Its a brand new car, its better you enjoy the experience.

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0