BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
jacobbmw
Bimmerfan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M Sport. 3.0

Dropping car off for service

I took in my 2011 E90 M3 for the 1200 mile service today. I am scared to death that they will damage the car or do inadequate service. I spoke to the SA and he had no idea that the transmission fluid(6 speed) and diff lube had to be done. Did not inspire confidence. I spoke to manager who assured me an M mechanic would take care of it. I was almost as nervous as when I take my kids to the doctor.
How do you guys feel when you take your cars in for service?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbmw View Post
I took in my 2011 E90 M3 for the 1200 mile service today. I am scared to death that they will damage the car or do inadequate service. I spoke to the SA and he had no idea that the transmission fluid(6 speed) and diff lube had to be done. Did not inspire confidence. I spoke to manager who assured me an M mechanic would take care of it. I was almost as nervous as when I take my kids to the doctor.
I have some clicking noises on left front since I bought the car and because of all the horror stories I read on this forum, I am still reluctant to take to the dealer, now that it's cold outside and I cant drive with windows down I can't hear it and that will do tll I hear it again. When I had oil change I look under the car before I drive from there, I check on the hood (ALWAYS not shut appropriately) I check the oil level BEFORE you leave and if you're not happy with it (too low or too high) address it right there. I know we make a bigger deal out of it than it should be, but WE LOVE OUR M3s and I hope dealers understand that.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Well, there needs to be a combination of reasonable expectations from the owner, and reasonable competency from the dealer. Most folks don’t spend enough time evalulating the dealer’s service department before buying a car. The first thing many buyers don’t know, but really need to understand is, the SA with whom they have most of their dialog generally has very little technical knowledge. The dealer’s goal is to staff that position with someone who has just a bit more mechanical knowledge than the typical buyer (zero), and the personality to deal with the public. They have to utilize good techs in the garage doing the work. Seek referrals from other car guys and local clubs. Stop by and meet the tech you want to do the work, and the shop foreman (not the service manager). You may need to be a little creative to meet them, because some dealerships make it difficult. But having even a casual personal relationship with these folks means everything. And really, we all need to be reasonable. I don’t know how much time you have spent turning wrenches, but working on cars can be frustrating, especially when you have to do it on someone else’s schedule, regardless of cut fingers, bruised knuckles and a family that’s pissed because you’re late.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
jacobbmw
Bimmerfan
United_States
Rep

Everything above is reasonable. I also think it is reasonable that they know at least what service recommendations are from BMW. I assumed they are trained by the company, and at least have basic knowledge of what is involved in a service visit. They should not rely on me to tell them what to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I usually feel pretty tired since I typically have to get up early and drop the car off before work.

But seriously, my dealership does a pretty good job. I trust them. And BTW, thank you for reminding me I need to make an apt for scheduled maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
jrlee53
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

I see your in NY, which dealer do you go to?

2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

you need to ask for a print out of the part list used for the 1200 service. It should have line items for the fluids that needed to be changed.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Jeez, wait 'til they screw it up first before getting so paranoid. LOL

While I've had other issues w/ 2 E90 M3's I've had (albeit minor), 1,200 mile service wasn't one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
Well, there needs to be a combination of reasonable expectations from the owner, and reasonable competency from the dealer. Most folks don’t spend enough time evalulating the dealer’s service department before buying a car. The first thing many buyers don’t know, but really need to understand is, the SA with whom they have most of their dialog generally has very little technical knowledge. The dealer’s goal is to staff that position with someone who has just a bit more mechanical knowledge than the typical buyer (zero), and the personality to deal with the public. They have to utilize good techs in the garage doing the work. Seek referrals from other car guys and local clubs. Stop by and meet the tech you want to do the work, and the shop foreman (not the service manager). You may need to be a little creative to meet them, because some dealerships make it difficult. But having even a casual personal relationship with these folks means everything. And really, we all need to be reasonable. I don’t know how much time you have spent turning wrenches, but working on cars can be frustrating, especially when you have to do it on someone else’s schedule, regardless of cut fingers, bruised knuckles and a family that’s pissed because you’re late.
Well said, especially re: SA knowing just a bit more than the average buyer. 3 SA's at 2 different local dealers exactly fit that description. Oh if mal-practice applied to them...

Been going to local BMW meets and found out which dealer(s)'s service dept are better than others and which are mod-friendly, etc. Great source of local info.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Everything above is reasonable. I also think it is reasonable that they know at least what service recommendations are from BMW. I assumed they are trained by the company, and at least have basic knowledge of what is involved in a service visit. They should not rely on me to tell them what to do.
I agree 100%, but unfortunately, that is not the reality of the car business. The SA is not trained in many of the areas you may assume. That doesn’t mean the proper service will not be done, but it’s the folks you don’t typically see who are primarily responsible for it. I know, FUBAR, but spend a little time with the right folks, and trips to the dealer can be much easier.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
This is good advice. But an easier first step is seek out a good SA. There are a few (like my own) that have extensive technical knowledge, and have experience dealing with M cars. And if they have been around for a while, they have a knack for 'making things happen'. You can get an idea just by talking to them, that they know what they're doing. It also helps to use the service department where you purchased your car from - even if it's a little out of the way, they will usually go the extra mile to make sure your car is serviced properly and efficiently.

And finally, be a good customer. While service is your right, not your privilege, a positive attitude will take you surprisingly far.

OP, feel free to ask any of us in the NY area for service center suggestions, if you're uncomfortable with your own. I personally use BMW Greenwich - they service alot of M3s, and have an excellent reputation. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
jacobbmw
Bimmerfan
United_States
Rep

My past experience with dealers has not always been positive.
This is the first time I had ever used this dealer and am glad that after picking it up, all appears well. Always hard to go to a new place.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
My past experience with dealers has not always been positive.
This is the first time I had ever used this dealer and am glad that after picking it up, all appears well. Always hard to go to a new place.
Which dealer have you gone to? I have taken my cars (over the last 8 years) to Manhattan BMW as well as Life Quality BMW in Brooklyn and both were fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
red998
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG '10 6MT

dealer experience?
take a look at my thread and you will get my answer.
i had my 16000mile oil change done privately autocouture in nj( thank you sal and the guys) out of pocket because of fear. not to mention i have yet to receive a phone call from them about the part they ruined. i own my car, i work hard and it hurts a lot when someone disrespects your property.
M mechanic? never heard of it- i'll try google. i heard of master tech who is suppose to the person that knows the cars. from what i have heard its too expensive to keep one.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by red998 View Post
dealer experience?
take a look at my thread and you will get my answer.
i had my 16000mile oil change done privately autocouture in nj( thank you sal and the guys) out of pocket because of fear. not to mention i have yet to receive a phone call from them about the part they ruined. i own my car, i work hard and it hurts a lot when someone disrespects your property.
M mechanic? never heard of it- i'll try google. i heard of master tech who is suppose to the person that knows the cars. from what i have heard its too expensive to keep one.
I thought doing an oil change by a non-BMW tech can void your warranty?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #15
hammick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
I have some clicking noises on left front since I bought the car and because of all the horror stories I read on this forum, I am still reluctant to take to the dealer, now that it's cold outside and I cant drive with windows down I can't hear it and that will do tll I hear it again. When I had oil change I look under the car before I drive from there, I check on the hood (ALWAYS not shut appropriately) I check the oil level BEFORE you leave and if you're not happy with it (too low or too high) address it right there. I know we make a bigger deal out of it than it should be, but WE LOVE OUR M3s and I hope dealers understand that.
Does my '08 M3 have a dip stick? My '08 335i didn't.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #16
emthreeboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3

Quote:
Dude I totally feel for you. I HATE dropping my car of anywhere for that matter, dealer/alignment/etc.... but its just something we have to do sometimes, if we can't do it ourselves.

But I don't think you need to be worried, the EXTREME incidents that you've might have read upon here on the forums, are rare occasions. *knock on wood*

-06 E46 JET BLACK/// m3 6MT!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #17
Alex1911
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Sedan 2011

They didn't put the full 2l of tranny fluid in mine, they list 1.5l, I've been meaning to go back and say something.

I got an X5 4.4l as a loaner and whatever they possibly could have done on their 2mi post service test drive, we're even :-)

I like my service department, dislike the rest of the dealership... The guy who moves cars around shook my hand and said "good job" when I told them not to wash/"detail" my car, don't touch it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 04:01 AM   #18
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, 911 GTS manual,F80,G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I thought doing an oil change by a non-BMW tech can void your warranty?
lol you gotta be kidding me right, so if i change my own oil then my warranty is voided? lol

2011.5 mineral white e92 zcp 6mt m3
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 04:46 AM   #19
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangzeyuandss View Post
lol you gotta be kidding me right, so if i change my own oil then my warranty is voided? lol
When it's free, yes. If you have to pay your dealer then you can do whatever you want. However, if you don't pay for your services and the warranty specifically states that you have to use the dealership (it does) then you MUST take it to the dealer.

What this means is that yes, if a dealership wanted to, they could void your warranty for failure to follow the service schedule.

Doesn't anyone read their manuals anymore? The M-M Act is another good read. That's the document that says you have to use your dealership if the services are free.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #20
Fsarc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3 LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
When it's free, yes. If you have to pay your dealer then you can do whatever you want. However, if you don't pay for your services and the warranty specifically states that you have to use the dealership (it does) then you MUST take it to the dealer.

What this means is that yes, if a dealership wanted to, they could void your warranty for failure to follow the service schedule.

Doesn't anyone read their manuals anymore? The M-M Act is another good read. That's the document that says you have to use your dealership if the services are free.
From what I read- yes- warranty could be voided for using non Authorized BMW Parts or failing to maintain the service schedule (i.e. ignoring 1200 mile service), but I read nowhere that you MUST have the maintenance performed at a BMW Dealer or risk voiding the warranty.

From page 63 Supp Manual and page 233 Manual- "Oil Change- Have oil changed only at your BMW Service Center or at a workshop that works according to BMW repair procedures with correspondingly trained personnel."

Page 235 Manual- "BMW recommends that you have service and repair operations performed at your BMW Center."

Could be wrong but I couldn't find it.

My 2011 didn't come with a Warranty and Service booklet, nor is there one in PDF format at MYBMW. I read through the one in PDF format for my 2008 335xi (that car had a service and warranty booklet) and couldn't find anything specific there either.

Last edited by Fsarc; 12-10-2010 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #21
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

I'll dig it up sometime this week but the point was that BMW could void the warranty based on the "correspondingly trained personnel" line unless the techs employed at your shop are not only BMW certified but are also current on their certs.

Last edited by quality_sound; 12-12-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0