BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

12-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

Premium Audio- Opinions from home-audio (audiophiles) guys

I am an audio guy. I mean a home-audio guy (Linn LP12 w/ Lingo, Alphason Benz Ruby, Conrad-Johnson and Paoli vacuum tube electronics, Montana, Audioquest, etc.).

I have come to accept that there are different expectations between home-audio guys and car-audio guys with respect to audio system performance. For example, there is no expectation of imaging with car audio, whereas imaging is critical with home-audio.

Here is where I stand. Compared to good home audio systems, car audio is a huge compromise. I listened to the Enhanced Premium system in the M3. It was good, but a paled in comparison to any good home system I have ever heard. The dealer did not have an M3 with the base system for comparison.

I decided to order my car with the standard audio system. With my home audio system as my reference my justification is that the Enhanced system was just a different flavor of compromise and did not warrant $1900 for a flavor change.

So, for all the home-audio guys in here; what is your opinion of the Enhanced Premium sound system in the M3?

Last edited by Dave2; 12-11-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

If you are an audiophile, There is only 1 system that sounds good in any car and that is the Jaguar Audyssey based system. That is the only car that has a good sounding system. The BMW premium system is in no way audiophile. Is it worth it? Not at all but i still got it so that it will get me by for a few months before i install my sound system upgrades.
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave IV View Post
Compared to good home audio systems, car audio is a huge compromise. I listened to the Enhanced Premium system in the M3. It was good, but a paled in comparison to any good home system I have ever heard.
Which is not a surprise, nor should it be.

Car audio systems by their nature are a compromise, due in part to their hostile listening environment, tiny room size and constant changes due to variable passenger load, etc. In the M3, it is also in particular not a living room on wheels by design and although an expensive option, it is cheaper then any custom install which would require much work and money to begin to resemble a good home system. The M3 convertible faces even more demanding requirements as it needs to fight against even worse sound conditions (as well as that sweet engine which seems to like to try and drown out anything else if asked).

Whether the premium option is worth the extra money is debatable as it is in every car which offers an upgrade, but the bar to determine the quality of a stock car system compared to a home system with high end components has to be lower.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

The base system is not very good and the premium system is a notable upgrade from that. You might be able to get the premium system and use its additional and bigger speaker locations, etc. as a better starting point for a further upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

I have ordered 4 new BMWs, a 323i, 2 E46 M3s, and soon to be E92, and I would NEVER order a BMW without upgraded audio. The stock system sucks IMO
      12-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

BMW is the ultimate driving machine, not listening machine. I'm sure the standard system is fine. Maybe not by aftermarket standards, but c'mon. And no one explained why it sucks in detail.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
And no one explained why it sucks in detail.
I don't know if that frankly is possible. It's about listening.

In the E46 the difference between premium and regular was VERY noticeable. I haven't had a chance to compare side to side in the E9x.

It's like, you may look at a girl and think she is sexy, and I may not think she is sexy.

You may listen to the stock system and think it is fine, whereas I do not.

If you're paying for this car, you should be able to afford it whether you buy the car stripped, or loaded.

In that case, premium audio is a no brainer for me.
      12-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
To me, it was premium audio or no audio. I was not about to entertain an after-market solution on a brand new car. (I'm leasing, but assuming I have a good 3 years I'll likely buy, and maybe then I'd consider some more aggressive mods, but even then I'm not figuring I'll replace the premium audio system. It has a clean sound that works for rock, jazz and talk (news, books on tape), and the little I've listened to reggae it bumped fine to my taste. Haven't tried classical yet; it doesn't seem to fit the mood of the M3 driving experience.

Mind you, I'm not one of those people who need to vibrate the car loose with a womb of superbass subwoofer volume.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Being able to afford doesn't mean one spends carelessly. Again, this thread fails to address the measurable differences between the two systems. Often times when one has deep pockets, they assume more expensive equals better. If the real issue with these systems is perception and/or preference, let's leave it at that, because that has more to do with taste, not actual mechanical innerworkings.

BTW I'm really interested in the differences. Not defending either system.

Last edited by 48Laws; 12-11-2010 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

For me, it was a no brainer to go with Enhanced audio. I had no intentions of fighting with car to get a reasonable aftermarket system in it this time around. The base audio is basically no audio - it's that bad.

I went the aftermarket route on my old E46 (Dynaudio w/ time alignment, a nice sub, and ~1500w of power) on top of the embarrassingly terrible H/K upgrade, and while I was really happy with the results, it added nearly 80lbs to the car that I had to remove each time I went to the track (sub and amps were in a removable module).

Enhanced audio on the E9XM3 is pretty good as car systems go, save for the bass extension/punch and factory EQ tune and there is a gap in the 100-200Hz range that the 4" mids just can't deal with. You can get close to good by tweaking the eq and getting the SWS subs and gaining control over the relative bass levels and tuning to get the volume higher and the extension lower. Never going to touch an audiophile system - I have never experienced a car audio system that comes close to a nice home system - the car environment is just far too difficult to manage - even having spent 7K+ on the best equipment, fabrication, and tuning available when I was young and stupid.

Our CEO recently let me drive his Panamera Turbo with the Burmester audio upgrade. It's pretty good, but, still, not worth the 10K upgrade compared to what you could achieve with aftermarket equipment and power. It lacks bass extension as well - though the clarity, response, and sound-stage above 70Hz was very good parked with CD source. Some people would choose to hack up the car and install an aftermarket system - and say they could do better than the Burmester system. I would just get the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
48Laws
Banned
Rep

What do you mean by "basically no audio"?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
What do you mean by "basically no audio"?
I wouldn't enjoy it in any way.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post

Enhanced audio on the E9XM3 is pretty good as car systems go, save for the bass extension/punch and factory EQ tune and there is a gap in the 100-200Hz range that the 4" mids just can't deal with. You can get close to good by tweaking the eq and getting the SWS subs and gaining control over the relative bass levels and tuning to get the volume higher and the extension lower. Never going to touch an audiophile system - I have never experienced a car audio system that comes close to a nice home system - the car environment is just far too difficult to manage - even having spent 7K+ on the best equipment, fabrication, and tuning available when I was young and stupid.

Nice post, thanks!
      12-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I would be okay if my car didn't come with an audio system...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #15
SCtud
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
I am an audio guy. I mean a home-audio guy (Linn LP12 w/ Lingo, Alphason Benz Ruby, Conrad-Johnson and Paoli vacuum tube electronics, Montana, Audioquest, etc.).

I have come to accept that there are different expectations between home-audio guys and car-audio guys with respect to audio system performance. For example, there is no expectation of imaging with car audio, whereas imaging is critical with home-audio.

Here is where I stand. Compared to good home audio systems, car audio is a huge compromise. I listened to the Enhanced Premium system in the M3. It was good, but a paled in comparison to any good home system I have ever heard. The dealer did not have an M3 with the base system for comparison.

I decided to order my car with the standard audio system. With my home audio system as my reference my justification is that the Enhanced system was just a different flavor of compromise and did not warrant $1900 for a flavor change.

So, for all the home-audio guys in here; what is your opinion of the Enhanced Premium sound system in the M3?
You are best keeping the $1900 and going with an aftermarket system. The Enhanced Premium Sound is a complete joke in my opinion. Fortunately, since you're in NJ, hit up Don at Unexpected Creations.

See the thread below. I listened to this car for a bit and it sounded VERY impressive and leaps and bounds better than the Enhanced Premium Sound and at a similar cost - especially considering there was no trunk space lost or large box used for a subwoofer. I spent far more than that on my system with Don and while I was willing to pay for that incremental sound quality, if cost is a factor, B-737's system is a no brainer. Plus no cutting so you can revert back to stock at sale and probably recover as much as you would if you had gone with the upgraded sound.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451762
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #16
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Base audio is a mistake. I always get the enhanced audio as i never want to do anything aftermarket to the audio. Exhaust, wheels, yes. Audio, no.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 01:53 AM   #17
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:

Skip EP Audio, get a JBL MS-8, and marvel at a real stage and image in a car. Ok, you'll need a bit more than the MS-8, but the MS-8 will be making the magic. The EP Audio speakers are quite good when fed some real power and the system is EQ'd properly. I'd also add a trunk sub for the bottom end that the 8s just can't handle, especially in an E93. As was said above, hit up Don at Unexpected Creations. Start with HiFi, not EP Audio, add an MS-8 and some real power to start and you'll be amazed at the difference. Then you can add on to correct whatever you think is still lacking, like the lack of a center channel.

If I was keeping my M I'd have already done my install (MS-8, Morel drivers, JL amps, Stereo Integrity sub) instead of leaving it all on a shelf in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #18
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

I am upgrading my EP Sound woofers with the SWS8 this week. JB Audio amp. Technic's LOC.

Now, as to whether EP is worth it. FOr me, it is 1000% yes. I have had my 09 for almost 2 years. I crank the stereo regularly. Although it could use that low end help, it is listenable and not bad. I listen to fusion and jazz. No hip hop or stuff like that. But, a lot of fusion has crisp six string bass with low B and well miced powerful drums. Really taxes the system. It is clear and there is little distortion. The regular base system is junk. Unlistenable where I have been listening. So, for me, the EP is a big improvement over the base system altenative.

I'll report back how she sounds after the sub upgrade.
      12-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #19
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

X3 for talking with Don in Edison.

I would post a novella, but just talk to Don
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #20
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
Some people would choose to hack up the car and install an aftermarket system - and say they could do better than the Burmester system.
Hmmm... we don't hack, but we *would* do better than the Burmester system.
Appreciate 0