BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Budge
Professional Trophy Husband
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 Sedan DCT

MS-8 Tuning Questions

Thanks to Technic's wiring harness (awesome ) and A LOT of his time answering my questions, I finally got my JBL MS-8 installed and sounding pretty good. My definition of pretty good is approximately 1 million times better than the OEM six speaker hifi system. I have also upgraded the OEM subs with Kicker SSMB8's (again, thanks to Technic, and jtsherri for the spacers). I'll do a full review of that a little later, for those who might be interested.

The Kickers are definitely giving me more bass than I had before, but a lot of that seems to be drowned out by the exhaust sound when I'm driving. I know, I should be listening to the car instead of music, but what can I say? I like to rock when I roll.

Anyway, has anyone tried doing the acoustic calibration with the engine on? It seems to me that this would be the normal listening environment.

Also, is it possible to adjust the crossovers and slopes without rerunning the acoustic calibration every time?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budge View Post
Anyway, has anyone tried doing the acoustic calibration with the engine on? It seems to me that this would be the normal listening environment.

Also, is it possible to adjust the crossovers and slopes without rerunning the acoustic calibration every time?
i was just thinking of that the other day
why calibrate when silent, you don't listen when the engine is off

and no to the second item
you have to recalibrate every time!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
S65E90M3
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 M

Quote:
Thanks to Technic's wiring harness (awesome ) and A LOT of his time answering my questions, I finally got my JBL MS-8 installed and sounding pretty good.
I was just reading this and had to sign up to get more info on this wiring harness. Can you go into more details about the harness and your install? I would PM Technic directly but I'm not allowed to until I get 5 posts under my belt lol. Do you have his email?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by S65E90M3; 02-24-2011 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65E90M3 View Post
I was just reading this and had to sign up to get more info on this wiring harness. Can you go into more details about the harness and your install? I would PM Technic directly but I'm not allowed to until I get 5 posts under my belt lol.

Thanks in advance.
First point of call is to post up which stereo option you have? Regular, Logik7 or premium (individual)

That way Technic can be specific in his answers.

I have a harness on the way from him at the moment. He is a top Guy and very helpful
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
S65E90M3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
First point of call is to post up which stereo option you have? Regular, Logik7 or premium (individual)

That way Technic can be specific in his answers.

I have a harness on the way from him at the moment. He is a top Guy and very helpful
Thank you. The only option I went for was the iPod connection in the center console so i'm guessing I've got the regular audio system. I'm looking to upgrade the speakers and add a Zapco using the software that comes with it to tune the system.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Budge
Rep

The wiring harness is great. I just disconnected the harness coming from the head unit to the OEM amp and connected it to the Technic harness. It provides you with balanced stereo input, and clearly labeled leads to all of your speakers. You couldn't ask for an easier product to use.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Budge
Rep

Does anyone know if you can bridge channels on the MS-8? I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
S65E90M3
Rep

Quote:
The wiring harness is great. I just disconnected the harness coming from the head unit to the OEM amp and connected it to the Technic harness. It provides you with balanced stereo input, and clearly labeled leads to all of your speakers. You couldn't ask for an easier product to use.
Thanks dude. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Would you happen to have his contact info off this board like an e-mail or something?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Technic is an extremely helpful guy. I am installing the MS8 in a '06 E53 X5 and he has answered a lot of unanswered questions. His knowledge is just mind-boggling and he's so prompt in getting back to you. Top guy.
      02-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
S65E90M3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Technic is an extremely helpful guy. I am installing the MS8 in a '06 E53 X5 and he has answered a lot of unanswered questions. His knowledge is just mind-boggling and he's so prompt in getting back to you. Top guy.
Cool. Anyone have an email for the guy? lol
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Thanks to Technic's wiring harness (awesome ) and A LOT of his time answering my questions, I finally got my JBL MS-8 installed and sounding pretty good. My definition of pretty good is approximately 1 million times better than the OEM six speaker hifi system. I have also upgraded the OEM subs with Kicker SSMB8's (again, thanks to Technic, and jtsherri for the spacers). I'll do a full review of that a little later, for those who might be interested.

The Kickers are definitely giving me more bass than I had before, but a lot of that seems to be drowned out by the exhaust sound when I'm driving. I know, I should be listening to the car instead of music, but what can I say? I like to rock when I roll.

According to the MS-8 Project Manager, outside noise up to a certain high level do nothing to affect the acoustic calibration.

I would suggest that you try with the car running just for your own learning. I don't think that it changes anything, I have done it and I cannot notice any difference in my results.

Changing the calibration volume level does change the results, though.

You have to go thru the whole setup process and calibration if you want to adjust the crossover and slopes values.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Anyone have an email for the guy? lol
Email is **********************

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
S65E90M3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
According to the MS-8 Project Manager, outside noise up to a certain high level do nothing to affect the acoustic calibration.

I would suggest that you try with the car running just for your own learning. I don't think that it changes anything, I have done it and I cannot notice any difference in my results.

You have to go thru the whole setup process and calibration if you want to adjust the crossover and slopes values.
Hey bud, how do I go about ordering that harness your making?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hey bud, how do I go about ordering that harness your making?
Send me an email or PM with your details...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #15
S65E90M3
Rep

Quote:
Send me an email or PM with your details...
I wish I could lol. I cant PM anyone for another 24 hours. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I wish I could lol. I cant PM anyone for another 24 hours. lol
Quote:
Email is **********************

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #17
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Does anyone know if you can bridge channels on the MS-8? I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask.
RTFM??? lol, j/k. No, you can't bridge the MS-8's channels.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:

Sorry for the stupid question since I don't have an MS-8 but what exactly does the calibration process do? I'm on the fence about the MS-8 since I'm debating getting rid of my Zapco and doing something else but it sounds like redoing the entire setup just to change crossover points would be a bit of a pain.
      02-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Sorry for the stupid question since I don't have an MS-8 but what exactly does the calibration process do? I'm on the fence about the MS-8 since I'm debating getting rid of my Zapco and doing something else but it sounds like redoing the entire setup just to change crossover points would be a bit of a pain.
In a nutshell -after setting the crossover and slopes of each pair of speakers in your car- the acoustic calibration (using a headphone) will determine speaker distances, locations and time delays in reference to each seat of the car and then apply a default EQ curve -including bass enhancements, frequency corrections, imaging- to those seating positions.

More here: http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/...al/MS-8_OM.pdf
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #20
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Hey Billy,

Check out the build logs on DIYMA. Bing just put up a thread for an E90 335d he just did using all Morel drivers, Mosconi amps and an MS-8. He's dOne 9 MS-8 builds now so he's got quite a bit of experience with them now.

He also found a new replacement for the OEM subs. Audio System has an drop-in 8" complete with integral mounting adapter.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #21
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Hey Billy,

Check out the build logs on DIYMA. Bing just put up a thread for an E90 335d he just did using all Morel drivers, Mosconi amps and an MS-8. He's dOne 9 MS-8 builds now so he's got quite a bit of experience with them now.

He also found a new replacement for the OEM subs. Audio System has an drop-in 8" complete with integral mounting adapter.
Interesting statement just posted by Bing.

"for 99 percent of my customers, its a godsend, quick easy tuning in 10 mins...but for many of the members here on diyma who want to fine tune their own stuff...i would look elsewhere"

I see that being said a lot and that's what keeps me on the fence between the MS-8 and the BitOne. The size of the MS-8 doesn't help its cause either but prices keep getting lower and lower to the point that it may be worth a try and if it doesn't work out just get rid of it.
      02-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #22
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

IME with both the bit one.1 and the MS-8, the MS-8 wins my vote just because the way it uses its Logic7 processing to get the best of the center channel and thus the whole front stage.

I never was able to even come close to that effect with the bit one.1 manual tuning.

Other than this, I can get all the midbass and overall adjustabiliy that I need and then some with the MS-8 once I understood how all the manual adjustments influence each other. So that's a draw with the bit one.1.
Appreciate 0