BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
abizarvakharia
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Convertible top usage while driving?

Picked up my first M3 this week; Interlogos blue with black interior! I am still learning about the car but can't seem to find any information on this?

Is it possible to put the top down while driving at low speeds? I tried yesterday at 10 miles an hour and the top simply stopped unfolding...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

STOP: Do not operate the roof unless you are stationary and on a flat surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abizarvakharia View Post
...I am still learning about the car but can't seem to find any information on this?

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Inerrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 BMW M3 E93

You cannot be moving and put the top down! You can also download the manual at the BMW website.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Did your SA not show you the leather bound manual? You can even download them on the forum I believe....

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

If you install the aftermarket Smart Top unit, it will let you put the top up and down while moving

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz335 View Post
If you install the aftermarket Smart Top unit, it will let you put the top up and down while moving
Is this the smartest thing to do while driving even at low speeds?? The tops go up and down so quickly in these cars, when I had my SL I would put it up or down at stop lights if I was driving....

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Is this the smartest thing to do while driving even at low speeds?? The tops go up and down so quickly in these cars, when I had my SL I would put it up or down at stop lights if I was driving....
It's actually very helpful at times

Before the SmartTop, there were countless times I was stuck at a light

As long as you start moving gradually and it is a level road, it won't do damage to the top.

If you gun it and put force on it.. or the surface is uneven..yeah you'll prly cause damage

but going straight on a smooth surface is similar to being standstill

It's very useful
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
eddiek
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 F83 DCT '09 E93 DCT

You can do this on the other 3 series verts but not on the M3 unless you get the aftermarket systems which bypass this safety measure.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
abizarvakharia
Rep

Thanks for all the responses... really appreicate it. Researching the Smart Top unit now and will order it shortly.

I have to say I am a little surprised that BMW didn't design it with that usage in mind. My last convertible (Boxster) allowed the top to operate while driving up to 30 mph (referenced on page 182)

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses... really appreicate it. Researching the Smart Top unit now and will order it shortly.

I have to say I am a little surprised that BMW didn't design it with that usage in mind. My last convertible (Boxster) allowed the top to operate while driving up to 30 mph (referenced on page 182)

Thanks again
It is far less of a risk to have a cloth top close at low speeds. With a complicated and heavier hard top you probably don't want the top trying to close while adding in the motions of the car moving.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
abizarvakharia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
It is far less of a risk to have a cloth top close at low speeds. With a complicated and heavier hard top you probably don't want the top trying to close while adding in the motions of the car moving.
Hmm... that's a fair point. Has anyone installed the Smart TOP and had problems? Looks like it will let you operate the top while driving at 35mph...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
You can do this on the other 3 series verts but not on the M3 unless you get the aftermarket systems which bypass this safety measure.
All of the 3 Series Verts operate the same way, The car has to be standing still.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
Snow King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
All of the 3 Series Verts operate the same way, The car has to be standing still.

CA
Correct, my e93 335i works the same way, smart top is also on the list of my next purchases.

It is safe to use within reason. The device itself will let you drop the top up to 35MPH, but I would be hesitant to use it above 15MPH. Just a convenience in case the stop light changes too quickly and you can get a rolling start without holding up traffic.

If I recall my research correctly the reason BMW didn't include this as a standard feature is due to external safety/lawsuit concerns rather than inadequate function (strangers rubbernecking to watch a transformer, potentially hitting the car behind you if not enough clearance, etc). Same reasons why manufactures disable nav/dvd functions during movement - to avoid lawsuits.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

seems like there are more restrictions on these hard-top convertibles and should be due to their weight and design. My 135i cab can be fold while moving slower than 30km/h I think. Although that might not be te best thing to do while folding the top on the go.
      04-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
No you can't....

See:
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

CA
Quote:
Hmm... that's a fair point. Has anyone installed the Smart TOP and had problems? Looks like it will let you operate the top while driving at 35mph...
I've had 0 problems and I had it on my e93 335i for about a year, and it's been on my e93 M3 since week one.
I have had it on the Z4 since week 2.

Quote:

Thanks again
See:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchaniar View Post
It is safe to use within reason. The device itself will let you drop the top up to 35MPH, but I would be hesitant to use it above 15MPH. Just a convenience in case the stop light changes too quickly and you can get a rolling start without holding up traffic.

If I recall my research correctly the reason BMW didn't include this as a standard feature is due to external safety/lawsuit concerns rather than inadequate function (strangers rubbernecking to watch a transformer, potentially hitting the car behind you if not enough clearance, etc). Same reasons why manufactures disable nav/dvd functions during movement - to avoid lawsuits.
They didn't include because when the top is being operated, the trunk positions itself at an angle where the license plate isn't visible .
If I remember correctly, a moving vehicle's plate must be visible at all times.
On the Boxster, the plate is on the bumper and not the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
seems like there are more restrictions on these hard-top convertibles and should be due to their weight and design. My 135i cab can be fold while moving slower than 30km/h I think. Although that might not be te best thing to do while folding the top on the go.
Are you 100% sure about that?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #16
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybimmer View Post
Wow, so you are telling me if I'm in holland tunnel traffic in new jersey my top down spring time bumper to bumper where every single inch counts, it starts raining, I have to completely stop (good luck doing that) or my car is ruined? Can you imagine how difficult and inconvinient that would be (and funny to people passing by you)? That's some messed up logic and very impractical too. I don't understand why BMW would do something so stupid.

Same with highway, if I'm on a local road enjoying the wind, but I'm about to get on the turnpike, I have to completely stop? I cannot just put the top on slowly as I enter the highway in the ramp?

There are ramps around turnpike/garden state where it's very difficult to pull over (due to construction), this is pretty annoying.

I'm sure there is an aftermarket override, there has to be.
It's called a SmartTop
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #17
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

WOW its funny how people panic when using top down while moving. Chillax guys Merc and Audi does it even in my S2000 i do it all the time when im on a parking lot. 10miles less should be ok no harm done.
      04-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
WOW its funny how people panic when using top down while moving. Chillax guys Merc and Audi does it even in my S2000 i do it all the time when im on a parking lot. 10miles less should be ok no harm done.
hard top vs soft top is a huge difference in weight

also, if you're on a hill you're not suppose to operate the top, too much strain.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #19
USCTROJANSFIGHTON
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car. Vrooom.

f83 HARDtop can be open while moving at walking speed. Under 15mph. It's a factory option.. It uses the same motor and mechanism as e93.

For e93....you would need the Smart Top aftermarket device to do the same.

NO damage with F83 or E93 if moving at "walking speed"..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #20
Rxhealer
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 convertible

If you get Carly obd2 you can change the speed on the top. I changed mine but I usually stop before closing my top.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #21
hpapad01
BMW CCA member and you should be too!
Rep
Drives: DYII E93 M3,540 M-Sport,911C2S

Quote:
Picked up my first M3 this week; Interlogos blue with black interior! I am still learning about the car but can't seem to find any information on this?

Is it possible to put the top down while driving at low speeds? I tried yesterday at 10 miles an hour and the top simply stopped unfolding...
If I'm not mistaken, it can be coded. I have not done it but I have seen it here on the forum that it can be done.

Perhaps Mike Benvo from BPM can answer the coding question.

I would like to code my window to go down half way when I open the door for easier ingress in tight spots.
      08-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #22
Elwolfe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 LMB, 6MT

Garage List
2013 E93 M3  [0.00]
As mentioned above, it's a code-able setting and can be changed with a Carly device - you can choose between 3 max speeds. I haven't tried it yet, so can't tell you if it works or not...
Appreciate 0