BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-16-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

Question Does DCT allow you to go into the red?

I was racing on the Nurburgring when I first hit redline on my car after 2000km break-in. The dealer told me the DCT auto upshifts when it hits the redline. I was too busy on the track to notice where the fuel was cutting out at. It surprised me at first and I had it cutting the fuel for a fuel seconds before I realized. Can anyone confirm the DCT does not allow you to go higher than the 8300rpm redline in the stock car? I'm just concerned if I may have hurt the engine a bit. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E=mc2 View Post
Current owners, please correct me if I'm wrong as I may be off by a bit with my numbers here since I still dont have my car.

The 414 hp S65, redlines in 8400 rpm, meaning you cannot rev it at 8400, the maximum you will rev is 8300 rpm. Once you reach 8300 rpm, the fuel is cut, so the engine never reaches 8400.
8300/8400 close enough

This answers my question
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
So technically you actually never "redline", you "yellow line" it all the way to the end, "reaching" the redline, but never going over it.
Do you know if downshifting in S mode to a gear that would put you over redline is possible in DCT? Or does it say "no" and not go to the gear you're trying to make it go to?
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It says no. This applies to all other steptronic/manual automatic transmissions including the regular 3 and 5 series.
Thanks, I only worry that if I get trigger happy and tap the down paddle three instead of two times. Haven't done that and don't plan on it, but I figure it could happen in the heat of the moment.

Its different with a manual as you know what gear you're putting it into and hard to accidentally put it into 2nd as opposed to 3rd, for example if that's what you're aiming for. I guess you could f up and put it into first, but every manual (at least post 2001) i've driven has some sort block up so its very very hard to put it into first accidentally (or any gear that it shouldn't be going into). At least the 330ci was that way, as well as my '02 WRX.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
I was racing on the Nurburgring when I first hit redline on my car after 2000km break-in. The dealer told me the DCT auto upshifts when it hits the redline. I was too busy on the track to notice where the fuel was cutting out at. It surprised me at first and I had it cutting the fuel for a fuel seconds before I realized. Can anyone confirm the DCT does not allow you to go higher than the 8300rpm redline in the stock car? I'm just concerned if I may have hurt the engine a bit. Thanks!
By "racing" you mean driving?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
Do you know if downshifting in S mode to a gear that would put you over redline is possible in DCT? Or does it say "no" and not go to the gear you're trying to make it go to?
Quick test.....next time you are approaching a stop light at say 40mph, downshift multiple times and watch what happens. It will lock in the gear that's safe and then allow a change when it's safe to do so......Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
ttt
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
The dealer told me the DCT auto upshifts when it hits the redline. I was too busy on the track to notice where the fuel was cutting out at. It surprised me at first and I had it cutting the fuel for a fuel seconds before I realized. Can anyone confirm the DCT does not allow you to go higher than the 8300rpm redline in the stock car?
So you'll need to put DCT in D mode for it to upshift automatically, otherwise you'll hit the fuel cutoff as you described.

<rant>I wish there's a HUD or some kind of audio signal. When I'm going full throttle, I tend to pay attention to the road ahead instead of looking at the shift light.</rant>

DCT won't let you over-rev your engine; there's no harm done.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
JuniorM3
Captain
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 CP GT3

NO
      04-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Many race car drivers will just bang away at the downshift paddle as they approach a turn since they know they can't do a money shift.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Quick test.....next time you are approaching a stop light at say 40mph, downshift multiple times and watch what happens. It will lock in the gear that's safe and then allow a change when it's safe to do so......Phil
Yah just did this actually before I saw your thread on the way back from the gym. I want a supercharger.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttt View Post
<rant>I wish there's a HUD or some kind of audio signal. When I'm going full throttle, I tend to pay attention to the road ahead instead of looking at the shift light.</rant>
The shift light blinks to catch your eye in peripheral vision. Using your peripheral vision is a good habit to cultivate.

Cheers.