BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Another crappy dealer story

So my 2008 M3 has been pulling to the right recently and I decided to bring it to a dealership, which will not be named for the time being. I spoke to the receptionist to book an appointment and she tells me that they do not give out loaners to people who haven't bought the car there. I thought okay an alignment shouldn't take more than two hours so I'll stay and check out the new models.

After I arrived at the dealer and dropped the car off I began my wait. I sat in a new 5 and thought that it was actually pretty nice from the inside and out. After owning a 2002 530i I was certainly intrigued. After the two hours came and went I inquired about the vehicle's status. I was told it was done and then a few minutes later I was told that it was not done due to construction being done on the premesis. They simply handed my keys back and said that's it. I was a bit infuriated at this point having wasted 3 hours. I seeked the service manager and he said that the car will remain here and put me in a 5 series loaner.

Later that day the service advisor calls and tells me that the car is due for a recall for programming so it would be ready on Tuesday. I said that's no problem and that he would call me on Tuesday to let me know when it's done. Tuesday arrived and he calls me around 4pm to let me know that the programming failed so it would be ready Wednesday. I understood and he said to expect a call from him in the morning.

Today, Wednesday, I recieved no call from the dealer so I called him and left a message early in the morning. Around 11am my wife and I decided to just go to the dealer so we could check out the new X3 and X5 since we are in the market for one. Long story short the service advisor now tells me that the technician had scratched the rear quarter panel and that they have whisked it away to be repaired. I was disappointed but not furious. We were hungry so we set for lunch while we waited for the car to return.

Once we returned from lunch the service advisor asked me to look over the car and the first thing I noticed was the fuel reserve light. On Monday, I had dropped the car off with half a tank of gas. With my curiousity hightened I inquired about the miles put on the car and he told me "33". At this point I was steaming but I did not show my anger. He said he knocked $40 off the price and being left with no choice I paid the bill and we went home.

Along the way, not even a couple miles from the dealer I notice the car STILL drifting to the right just as much as before. This time I was flipping mad since I firmly believed that they had charged me to take my car out for a joyride. After I got home I called the service advisor and manager. The manager said he would not be able to refund my money but insisted that they stand by their work and that I bring the car back to make it right. I politely asked him what in the world would compel me to bring the car back to their establishment given the events. He just said that's all they could do.

After a bit of searching I found the company that owns the dealership and I was surprised to be able to speak to a person who took my complaint verbatim. I was promised a call back by tomorrow at the latest. Around 5PM the GM calls me and apologizes profusely. He said that they would not only refund the money for the alignment but would also take the time to fix it the right way and also throw in a full tank of gas. Although I wasn't happy with having to waste my time again I did find the resolution acceptable. I just hope this time they actually do it right and not go for a joyride.

Pending the outcome of the situation I may or may not post the dealership's name. But for everyone else out there, watch your car like a hawk because no one really cares about your property other than you.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Yeah I'd be pissed. More about the scratch on the panel and what they did to "fix" it than anything. Then of course they're liars by telling you they somehow managed to burn through a 1/2 tank of gas in 33 miles. Lord knows what sort of impropriety was happening there. Sounds like somebody was out wailing on your car and having a grand ole time I'm sure. Way to keep it classy guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

well, I think that they are doing better by you by refunding you the money. That's at least a positive outcome to a crappy situation you shouldn't have been in, in the first place.

Diagnosing a pull is going to take some miles on the car, I'd suspect that 10 miles or so, depending on how far they are from a freeway and how bad traffic is, is reasonable... 33 is a little silly, especially given how much gas they burned.

Hope they actually fixed the scratch!

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

I'm guessing the dealer dialed in 0 tow in the front, so the rack is showing a good alignment. On a flat surface the car would drive straight. The only problem is that roads are obviously pitched to the right to avoid standing water. You may want to see the alignment specs they used and ask them to dial in a little tow in the front (.20 or less). It won't hurt your tire wear too badly and allow you to take your hand off the wheel on most roads.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

which dealership n NJ?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Construction at the dealership? Are they working out of a building in the back? Am I close?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
The other thing I noticed is that the radio presets, trip information, etc all stayed intact after the program update. I was under the impression that these updates wipe out all user data? Can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

33 miles on about 6 gallons?! They averaged like 5 mpg, did they take it to a track? How can they possibly drive the car at 5 mpg without taking it to the track? I mean seriously, they drove something like 90 miles, which is more believable.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
The other thing I noticed is that the radio presets, trip information, etc all stayed intact after the program update. I was under the impression that these updates wipe out all user data? Can anyone confirm?
they can plug in a USB drive that stores your information.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Auto mechanic businesses are notoriously shady operations, but I think we're doomed if we don't find a good, trustworthy one -- including the right BMW service center for warranty work, and the right independent shop for non-warranty work.

Every time I have done non-warranty work at a BMW dealer, I got totally screwed over. A $350 clutch job becomes a $1500 radiator replacement and spark plugs replacement, without authorization. (That was BMW in Long Beach, quite a many years ago on a 320i.) A 530i goes in for a simple fluids service and gets $5k in diagnosed "repairs" required (and declined).

I've come across shady independents, too, such as the local garage that diagnosed clutch problems due to low contaminated clutch fluid (on a Jeep) as a cracked pressure plate, or the "recommended" mechanic who said the little squeaky sound we heard required a total engine rebuild (when it was a cracked exhaust pipe attachment).

Sorry to hear you ran into one of the bad ones.
Appreciate 0