BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
IGotId
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 M

Would the e90 M3 have a wider rear bench than a non-M e90? Car-seat related question

The reason I ask is I want to be able to fit 3 carseats (2 Sunshine Radian XLST's & an infant carrier; all 3 being about 17" wide) in the back for emergency situations. I'm shopping for a replacement for my e46 M3. We will likely be trading my wife's MDX in for a minivan which will do all of the heavy-duty family hauling. Although I will have only 1 or 2 of the kids in my car at a time, I'm looking for a car that can fit the 3 kids in the back for emergencies. The 57.2" rear bench would make it much easier obviously...

According to this diagram from BMWUSAs website, the M3's rear bench is 57.2" wide:

The non-M3 e90s appears to be 55.1":

I would have thought both would have identical dimensions? Are the diagrams likely accurate? I believe I'm reading them correctly?
      05-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

because of the way the latch anchors work, and the shape of the seat cushions, I don't think this is going to be possible at all. No way could I fit a 17" car seat between my Recaro Young Sport and Graco Infant seat.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Take all the seats to a dealership and try. If they want to sell a car, that will let you test it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
IGotId
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
because of the way the latch anchors work, and the shape of the seat cushions, I don't think this is going to be possible at all. No way could I fit a 17" car seat between my Recaro Young Sport and Graco Infant seat.
I'm assuming that your Recaro & Graco are considerably wider than 17"? 1 of the XLSTs would be rear-facing (behind the passenger seat), the other XTSL would be forward facing (middle), the infant would be behind the driver...the 2 outboards would be LATCH anchored & the middle would be seat-belt anchored...

BTW, all 3 are 17" wide...
      05-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
IGotId
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
Take all the seats to a dealership and try. If they want to sell a car, that will let you test it.
I plan to do that this weekend...the only reason I even thought of looking at the specs was I wanted to see if I should test-fit the 3 car seats in a non-M e90...

BTW, I'm also considering a CTS-V wagon, unfortunately the Caddy appears to be even narrower
      05-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
I'm assuming that your Recaro & Graco are considerably wider than 17"? 1 of the XLSTs would be rear-facing (behind the passenger seat), the other XTSL would be forward facing (middle), the infant would be behind the driver...the 2 outboards would be LATCH anchored & the middle would be seat-belt anchored...

BTW, all 3 are 17" wide...
There is at least 4-5 inches between the door and my car seats, so you lose about 10" of rear seat room there. The Recaro is 19.5" wide.

BMW measures the width of the bench, but the side bolsters are 4-5 inches of that, which means that the car seats are pretty close together. No way could you sit between easily. Remember, there are no middle latch anchors as the back seat is really too narrow for 3 car seats.

Time to go shopping for an E63 wagon with the rear facing 3rd row!

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Don't think you could fit 3 seats, I've got 2 seats, one forward one rear facing and can't imagine another person in the back let alone another seat, but then again for emergencies who knows what can be done, good luck
      05-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Don't think you could fit 3 seats, I've got 2 seats, one forward one rear facing and can't imagine another person in the back let alone another seat, but then again for emergencies who knows what can be done, good luck
I have stuck my wife in the back for a very short trip, but we couldn't use the latch anchors for one seat, we had my son strapped in the passenger side using the seat belt. Wouldn't work with seat mounted to the latch anchors.

I doubt you'll get 3 car seats in the back seat, but prove us wrong!

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

This will help illustrate what Kit is saying. Two Recaros, one relatively narrow, one medium (that is anchored using latch.) I cannot imagine how you could fit another seat in here...

05-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Gamoto
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Convertible 2018 750ix

You have a family vehicle correct??? You say you will never have more than 2 kids in your M.......So why would you ask such a silly question. This is a top 10 dumb question candidate hands down WTF
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamoto View Post
You have a family vehicle correct??? You say you will never have more than 2 kids in your M.......So why would you ask such a silly question. This is a top 10 dumb question candidate hands down WTF
Uhmm...OP did say for "emergencies".
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I have to agree with Kit. You might get the three tucked in the back, but it'll be quite difficult to secure the seats. I think the difficulty will be between the XTSL and the infant carrier.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
IGotId
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm looking for a car that can fit the 3 kids in the back for emergencies.
Quote:

R.I.F.
      05-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
IGotId
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post

I doubt you'll get 3 car seats in the back seat, but prove us wrong!
I may just have to take you up on that challenge!
      05-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
Gamoto
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayC View Post
Uhmm...OP did say for "emergencies".
Oh...yeah so he will have 2 car seats in the back of his M at all times even though his family car is a mimivan......then if he is home alone with his 3 kids
( Not sure from the post if he has 3 or maybe the neighbor kid might be over)
There will be an emergency when he will have to stick a 3rd car seat to rush all 3 chidren to a hospital or whatever........Let's get real!! Dumb Post
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #16
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Oh...yeah so he will have 2 car seats in the back of his M at all times even though his family car is a mimivan......then if he is home alone with his 3 kids
There will be an emergency when he will have to stick a 3rd car seat to rush all 3 chidren to a hospital or whatever........Let's get real!! Dumb Post
Perhaps that is why he is checking with M3post members with practical experience before committing to a purchase that will not suit his needs. And the "emergencies" does not necessarily mean a hospital trip or what not. How about if the minivan's engine blows out or a flat tire renders it inop and the OP has no choice but to use his car as the primary child transport.

So quick to judge...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:11 PM   #17
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayC View Post
Quote:
Perhaps that is why he is checking with M3post members with practical experience before committing to a purchase that will not suit his needs. And the "emergencies" does not necessarily mean a hospital trip or what not. How about if the minivan's engine blows out or a flat tire renders it inop and the OP has no choice but to use his car as the primary child transport.

So quick to judge...
1. I could come up with an endless list of family emergencies.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Here's how this discussion played out last time (for those interested - such as the OP perhaps):

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486362
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 06:56 AM   #19
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

I have to say. Being able fit 3 car seats in the back seat of an M3 would probably count as the most unusual prerequisite anyone has ever mandated.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #20
Gamoto
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

R.I.F.
Quote:
The reason I ask is I want to be able to fit 3 carseats (2 Sunshine Radian XLST's & an infant carrier; all 3 being about 17" wide) in the back for emergency situations. I'm shopping for a replacement for my e46 M3. We will likely be trading my wife's MDX in for a minivan which will do all of the heavy-duty family hauling. Although I will have only 1 or 2 of the kids in my car at a time, I'm looking for a car that can fit the 3 kids in the back for emergencies. The 57.2" rear bench would make it much easier obviously...

According to this diagram from BMWUSAs website, the M3's rear bench is 57.2" wide:

The non-M3 e90s appears to be 55.1":

I would have thought both would have identical dimensions? Are the diagrams likely accurate? I believe I'm reading them correctly?
Your 1st sentence does say 3 car seats....Does it not
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #21
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Here's how this discussion played out last time (for those interested - such as the OP perhaps):

I was trying to find that thread. There are a few others that we've compared car seats in photos as well. OP, it's worth a search to see those pics.

And definitely post a pic after you do your test run at the dealer, successful or not!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #22
IGotId
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowster View Post
1. I could come up with an endless list of family emergencies.
thanks, life is unpredictable at best with kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

thanks for the link!

Quote:
Your 1st sentence does say 3 car seats....Does it not
It states that I want to be able to, the 4th sentence clarifies

"The reason I ask is I want to be able to fit 3 carseats (2 Sunshine Radian XLST's & an infant carrier; all 3 being about 17" wide) in the back for emergency situations. I'm shopping for a replacement for my e46 M3. We will likely be trading my wife's MDX in for a minivan which will do all of the heavy-duty family hauling. Although I will have only 1 or 2 of the kids in my car at a time, I'm looking for a car that can fit the 3 kids in the back for emergencies."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowster View Post
I was trying to find that thread. There are a few others that we've compared car seats in photos as well. OP, it's worth a search to see those pics.

And definitely post a pic after you do your test run at the dealer, successful or not!
thanks, will do!