BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
stonemik
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 TiAg M3

Out with the old, in with the new

Howdy from Texas
Switched forums and M's after 8 years...

Just traded my '03 TiAg M3 for a '11 SG M3 Coupe to be ED'd during the early part of September. Anyone going to be in Munich between the 8th through the 12th doing an ED also? I'd like to compare notes on the ED process (My 3rd M, but first ED) and see what kind of driving route your going to do.
Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats! another E46 --> E92 M3 owner!

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
stonemik
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Congrats! another E46 --> E92 M3 owner!
more like:
E40 --> E46 --> E92
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

nice, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new M

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Congrats! I'll miss you by a a little over a week. My ED is on 9/20.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

congrats! I'm not sure what an E40 is.

I went from E36 ~> E46 ~> E92
      06-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post

06-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonemik View Post
Howdy from Texas
Switched forums and M's after 8 years...

Just traded my '03 TiAg M3 for a '11 SG M3 Coupe to be ED'd during the early part of September. Anyone going to be in Munich between the 8th through the 12th doing an ED also? I'd like to compare notes on the ED process (My 3rd M, but first ED) and see what kind of driving route your going to do.
Mike

I just did ED 5 weeks ago with drop off 3 weeks ago. I was treated very well at the Welt. Had no trouble with my lack of German.

A lot of English speaking people pick up on a Monday so there are more factory tours in English on that day. This must be due to people starting their vacation on a Saturday and flying to Europe over the weekend. Remember that the BMW Museum is not open Monday.

I arrived Sunday morning and I picked up on Monday. I took the subway downtown and did some touristy things in the old city on Sunday afternoon. Because I had Monday afternoon free I drove to Garmish Partenkirschen (sp?) for dinner. It's a ski resort in the Alps but only an hour from Munich.

I came back to the Welt early Tuesday morning, on my way to Stuttgart, and did the Museum. They let me into the VIP lounge again for another free lunch. Very accomodating people at the Welt. My trip to Stuttgart was the first full day of driving (stopped at the Dachau museum on the way).

Day 2: Did the Porsche museum in Stuttgart and drove to Heidelburg (saw Hockenheim Ring and museum, very close to Heidelburg).

Day 3: Drove to Nurbugring and drove the ring after watching manufacturer testing on track and going to the Nurburg castle.

Day 4: Drove to Luxembourg via Bastogne in Belgium to see Battle of the Bulge memorial.

Day 5: Drove to Strassbourg France. Beautiful medieval city.

Day 6: Drove to Freiburg and saw the Bugatti Factory at Molsheim on the way. It was Sunday and I couldn't get in. Don't know if they allow tours or have a museum.

Day 7: Booked an appt. at a BMW dealership for the 2,000 km service next day then drove around the Black Forest all day.

Day 8: Got my car serviced at 8:00 am and was on the road to Davos Switzerland by 9:20. The people at Martin BMW in Freiburg were great. Three of them spoke English.

Day 9: Drove through the Swiss and Italian Alps. From Davos you can do the Stelvio Pass easily. Unfortunately it opened 2 days after I was there. Stopped at Bolzano, Italy, another medieval market town.

Day 10: Drove to Innsbruck for lunch then over to Berchtesgarden to see the museum at Hitler's Eagle's nest in Obersalzburg. Then drove to Munich.

Day 11: Dropped the car off at Munich airport in the am.

Greatest trip of my life. I found the nav system to be very, very usefull in getting around. Couldn't have done the itinerary without it. The only thing was that in Italy the road maps were often out of date and the gas station finder option was hopeless. At least 5 times it directed me to residential streets where there obviously had not been a gas station in decades. This only happenned in Italy.

Last edited by goldminer; 06-23-2011 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
stonemik
Registered
United_States
Rep

HOOOOYAAAA!

Was worried because I put the order in on June 18th for a September 9th ED - I got the production number and my delivery date moved up - it's now 09/08/11 @ 3:45pm (was hoping for an AM delivery-oh well) with a factory tour at 11:30am the same day.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
stonemik
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
I just did ED 5 weeks ago with drop off 3 weeks ago. I was treated very well at the Welt. Had no trouble with my lack of German.

A lot of English speaking people pick up on a Monday so there are more factory tours in English on that day. This must be due to people starting their vacation on a Saturday and flying to Europe over the weekend. Remember that the BMW Museum is not open Monday.

I arrived Sunday morning and I picked up on Monday. I took the subway downtown and did some touristy things in the old city on Sunday afternoon. Because I had Monday afternoon free I drove to Garmish Partenkirschen (sp?) for dinner. It's a ski resort in the Alps but only an hour from Munich.

I came back to the Welt early Tuesday morning, on my way to Stuttgart, and did the Museum. They let me into the VIP lounge again for another free lunch. Very accomodating people at the Welt. My trip to Stuttgart was the first full day of driving (stopped at the Dachau museum on the way).

Day 2: Did the Porsche museum in Stuttgart and drove to Heidelburg (saw Hockenheim Ring and museum, very close to Heidelburg).

Day 3: Drove to Nurbugring and drove the ring after watching manufacturer testing on track and going to the Nurburg castle.

Day 4: Drove to Luxembourg via Bastogne in Belgium to see Battle of the Bulge memorial.

Day 5: Drove to Strassbourg France. Beautiful medieval city.

Day 6: Drove to Freiburg and saw the Bugatti Factory at Molsheim on the way. It was Sunday and I couldn't get in. Don't know if they allow tours or have a museum.

Day 7: Booked an appt. at a BMW dealership for the 2,000 km service next day then drove around the Black Forest all day.

Day 8: Got my car serviced at 8:00 am and was on the road to Davos Switzerland by 9:20. The people at Martin BMW in Freiburg were great. Three of them spoke English.

Day 9: Drove through the Swiss and Italian Alps. From Davos you can do the Stelvio Pass easily. Unfortunately it opened 2 days after I was there. Stopped at Bolzano, Italy, another medieval market town.

Day 10: Drove to Innsbruck for lunch then over to Berchtesgarden to see the museum at Hitler's Eagle's nest in Obersalzburg. Then drove to Munich.

Day 11: Dropped the car off at Munich airport in the am.

Greatest trip of my life. I found the nav system to be very, very usefull in getting around. Couldn't have done the itinerary without it. The only thing was that in Italy the road maps were often out of date and the gas station finder option was hopeless. At least 5 times it directed me to residential streets where there obviously had not been a gas station in decades. This only happenned in Italy.

Thanks! Looks like it was an awesome trip! I've got to hit Berlin - has been 29 years since I was there and I want to see it minus the wall, so I've only have 8 days with the car max. Im only going to be in Germany for 10 days so I was thinking Castle Road through Black Forest, then down the Romantic Road back to Munich, drop off car and up to Berlin on the train. I'm working the route with Garmin MapSource and hope to figure out a way to move the waypoints (I guess with Google Maps) to the car. If not, will bring my Garmin with me. (and BTW, garmin isn't what it's cracked up to be either - I had the same issue with gas stations when I used it in the UK last year.)
Thanks
Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonemik View Post
Thanks! Looks like it was an awesome trip! I've got to hit Berlin - has been 29 years since I was there and I want to see it minus the wall, so I've only have 8 days with the car max. Im only going to be in Germany for 10 days so I was thinking Castle Road through Black Forest, then down the Romantic Road back to Munich, drop off car and up to Berlin on the train. I'm working the route with Garmin MapSource and hope to figure out a way to move the waypoints (I guess with Google Maps) to the car. If not, will bring my Garmin with me. (and BTW, garmin isn't what it's cracked up to be either - I had the same issue with gas stations when I used it in the UK last year.)
Thanks
Mike
I enjoyed the Black Forest. Lot's of hilly, 2-lane country roads with good pavement conditions. Fun to drive and good scenery. I'd recommend it.
Appreciate 0