BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

07-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Porterfield vs Hawk HPS Brake Pads

I've read that the Hawk HPS are basically OEM with a little increase in performance, less brake dust, and not much squealing. They're also cheap at $182 for a set of front and rear pads

I tried some searching but can't find much on porterfield pads

I googled site:m3post.com porterfield brake pads

Thus, I'm asking which one one would go with and why

My friend is getting Porterfield installed as per his shop's recommendation and I'm thinking of ordering Hawk HPS per Acute Performance's recommendation..

What I want is improvement over stock, little to no squealing, inexpensive, and less dust.
Hence why the Hawk HPS seem like the perfect choice for me...

I remember reading that Hawks only last 2-3 track days? or were those the Hawk Blues (or a dedicated track set?)

My OEM Pads have 6400 miles and 4 track days with over 85% life left. I don't want to get these pads and have them toast in 2-3 track days..

I'm also upgraded to Stoptech Stainless Steel Brakes lines and Motul 600 brake line fluid

My tech will charge me about the same whether he installs the pads or not, hence why I'm going to order pads as I don't want to have to pay him the same amount of labor again later when he can just get it done all at once for less.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I had HPS on my E36 M3. They were OK but nothing better than stock other than less dust. They have less intial bite than stock and the rear pads didn't fit well and made a click sometimes when you went from reverse to forward again.
The HPS pad IS NOT A TRACK PAD. REPEAT, THE HPS IS NOT A TRACK PAD, though you maybe able to get away with them since you're not hard on brakes.

If you've still got that much stock pad left, why not just stick with them?

For the fluid, you should really just spend the money and get Castroll SRF. You only need to flush it once a season. The dry boiling point is similar to the Motul, while the wet boiling point is WAY higher.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
roycemek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Good question. I've been curious why not many people talk about the Porterfield pads anymore. I've used them in the past in my Mustang both the R4 and R4s and I've been happy with them. For us socal guys Porterfield is just so easy. They are located in Costa Mesa and you can have them shipped locally or just pick them up. Last time I was there the office had two cute girls working there. I spoke to one of them and it sounded like she was the owners daughter and was also a racer.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I had HPS on my E36 M3. They were OK but nothing better than stock other than less dust. They have less intial bite than stock and the rear pads didn't fit well and made a click sometimes when you went from reverse to forward again.
The HPS pad IS NOT A TRACK PAD. REPEAT, THE HPS IS NOT A TRACK PAD, though you maybe able to get away with them since you're not hard on brakes.

For the fluid, you should really just spend the money and get Castroll SRF. You only need to flush it once a season. The dry boiling point is similar to the Motul, while the wet boiling point is WAY higher.

I know it's not a track pad.

I know for a fact I do not want a track pad. I can't live with the increased noise, dust, cost (endless are expensve...), and also that they have worse cold bite (from what I've read)

My daily comfort is more important to me than track performance. Hence I'm aiming for a little better performance over stock and less dust.

If stock system is a 0/10 in performance and track oriented pads are 10/10, I want a 3 or 4/10.

Quote:
Please see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post

My tech will charge me about the same whether he installs the pads or not, hence why I'm going to order pads as I don't want to have to pay him the same amount of labor again later when he can just get it done all at once for less.

if the $182 for the Hawk HPS pads will not give me a little better performance than yes they're a complete waste.
But if they do give me some increased performance, with the conjunction of reduced dust, at $182 for 'free' install is worth it for me.

But if the $182 will not give me any increase in performance, then all the dust saving in the world won't be worth it (Well, actually, if it's 100% zero dust may be worth it lol)

For me, Costa Mesa is farrrr and I would rather it be shipped to me. I hate driving around traffic filled freeways :/ and there's always traffic on these damn freeways.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

In that case, I didn't feel any performance improvement over stock.
I just didn't want you to take the HPS on the track. It would be ugly.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
J!M
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

About 10 years ago, I had a set of the Porterfield R4-S pads on a different car. They worked fine on the street, but I did one track event with them, and they overheated badly. I had plenty of brakes with no sign of issues at one turn, and the pedal went straight to the floor at the next turn. They did come back after cooling down for a lap, but the sudden change scared the crap out of me.

All other pads I've used have given more warning when the temperature is getting too high.

I haven't used Hawk HPS, but I have used HP+ on some previous cars. On one car, they worked great. On another car, they squeeled so much around town that people would stare as I pulled up to lights. The HP+ had a little less bite the very first time using the brakes after the car had been sitting, but then were fine after that.

I think the cool carbon pads are a pretty decent street biased street/track combo pad. The pedal feel was a bit different than stock, but the stopping power was there, and they dusted a LOT less. They started to lose stopping power at the end of 30 min track sessions, but in a predictable way. I had no complaints around town.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I just didn't want you to take the HPS on the track. It would be ugly.
How come you say that?

Are they worse than stock on the track?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

this is what I'm going to order:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motul...Q5fAccessories
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

I literally just spoke to someone last weekend who tracked with HPS and he said it was terrible. Worse than stock. They don't have the same initial bite as stock either.

The main advantage they have is they dust less.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Ive been running the R4S for about a year now and im not a big fan,they got low dust but not close to stock brake bite,when they get hot they do stop pretty well unless i get them very very hot then they are worse than stock.
Im def going for a track pad for the street next like the Hawk HT but they dont make the rear pads for out cars yet.i can live with the stopping noise as long as my car stops !
Appreciate 0