BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

08-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
roddyc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BMW M5

Rear Camera Retrofitting

Just got my 08 E90 and it pretty much had everything I wanted except PDC. I learned about the rear camera kits that existed and liked what I saw. Any one get one of these installed in Dallas? I'm considering the Alekshop and the modmynav kits but in either case will not install it myself. Talked to an Earmark and they quoted me $400 for the install which seems too high. I know Driver's Source in Houston has done a few of these, but would like to find someone closer to me if possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddyc View Post
Just got my 08 E90 and it pretty much had everything I wanted except PDC. I learned about the rear camera kits that existed and liked what I saw. Any one get one of these installed in Dallas? I'm considering the Alekshop and the modmynav kits but in either case will not install it myself. Talked to an Earmark and they quoted me $400 for the install which seems too high. I know Driver's Source in Houston has done a few of these, but would like to find someone closer to me if possible.
I got the Modmynav camera installed by Driver's Source for $350 for labor. The Modmynav is the camera you should get because the camera itself is integrated into a new replacement trunk handle. The Alexshop camera requires removal of one of your LED license plate bulbs. Because I have aftermarket LED license plate bulbs, I did not any of them removed just because I was getting the camera. Other than that, both kits are the same. Be sure to get the additional RCA cable for $9.95 that will allow you to have the rear view camera ON while you are driving forward!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
I got the Modmynav camera installed by Driver's Source for $350 for labor. The Modmynav is the camera you should get because the camera itself is integrated into a new replacement trunk handle. The Alexshop camera requires removal of one of your LED license plate bulbs. Because I have aftermarket LED license plate bulbs, I did not any of them removed just because I was getting the camera. Other than that, both kits are the same. Be sure to get the additional RCA cable for $9.95 that will allow you to have the rear view camera ON while you are driving forward!
+1 on this, in fact if memory serves I believe I recommended the ModMyNav camera to Frankzlin79 here. Glad you like it!

I got mine installed by Flamingo Automotive in Austin. They apparently had some trouble finding room for all the cabling harnesses behind the dash and I think they removed the rear seats because they didn't know the rear seats folded down (neither did I at the time, had no idea they were standard on the coupe!) but even though it took them 7 hours they only charged me for 2 since it was a learning experience for them.

Anyway, I'd be happy to answer any questions you had about the ModMyNav setup if you'd like.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 08-24-2011 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

+1. jphughan was the one who convinced me to get the Modmynav over Alexshop. Also keep in mind that the Modmynav camera is mounted more centrally (since it's in the trunk handle) rather than off to the side like the Alexhshop mounting location.
Appreciate 0