BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
ericjay56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Jetta Base LOL

Success-An M3 Story

Being new to the forum, I would love to hear about different members went about getting an m3. What interested you in it, personal stories, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
RudyP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, AM V8V, 993 C4S, 996TT

Pretty broad question but OK I'll bite. I had a well used (100k mile) Nissan 350z daily driver when I moved to Ohio from NYC. Since I was able to get away from valet parking, crappy roads and had an actual garage, I bought a Porsche 911 Carrera S. Great car but was not comfortable driving it to work because it is a bit too flashy for my very conservative and low key workplace. So I kept the Z. Which then started giving me problems and was just too old. I wanted something fun and fast but very low key and that I wouldn't worry about parking on the street since this would be a third car and our garage only holds 2 cars. I decided on a Mustang GT 5.0 since it seemed like a great performance bargain, a quasi-M3 for half price that I wouldn't care about dings, road salt, etc. I owned it for 2 months before realizing that what I really wanted wasn't a quasi-M3, I wanted a real M3. Traded in my 2011 Mustang for a 2011 E92 M3 and have been very happy with it. I'm slowly getting comfortable with the fact that it lives outside and will suffer the wear and tear but it's truly a great car!

Last edited by RudyP; 10-08-2011 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
ericjay56
Private
United_States
Rep

Yea sorry I'm being a little ambiguous, I just wanted to know what aspect of the M3 caught the buyer's eye the most. I feel like a lot just buy the car for the prestige of the name :/
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I bet there are as many stories as there are M3 drivers on this forum here my friend.

In my case I fell in love with the looks of a 2002 M3 e46 (that was back in 2004) when I was on a project on the west coast. Every morning I had breakfast at the same place for quite some time. After breakfast I would go next door and admire the fine BMW automobiles at the dealership while I smoked my cigarette. This was necessary since smoking in the restaurant and my rented car was no longer allowed

Well up to that point I did own 2 fine BMW cars one used and one still back home in my own garage that we purchased new in 1987 and was now going on in age. Naturally I had a good eye for those fine automobiles. One day the M3 I have been admiring for so many mornings in a row had a twin standing right besides it. So needless to say that evening I went into the dealership and inquired about price and a test drive. Well a few days later I test drove both cars and was done for. I simply had to have one of them. Both cars were in excellent shape, low milage, short 2 year lease returns and both owned by Doctors. I made an offer on the one driven by a Lady Doctor, the sales man assured me the car has never seen a track. We agreed on a price and I got a cheque certified by my bank then arranged for my e28 licence plate to be curried to me. Once I completed my project I drove my new found friend back home

Needless to say now I could smoke in my car (something I now have given up for the last 4 years) after returning the rented car to the airport

The e28 was handed down to a family member that car is being restored and will be 25 years old next year (a 535is came off the line in June 1987) and has served well over 250 Miles to date. The e46 M3 was sold last year and had close to 60,000 Miles on the odometer.

Since the e46 M3 I've driven two Z4's, however, while the Z4 is a fine automobile it is not a M3. So early this past spring I simply had to get back into a M3 the one I am driving now

Some say ... once a M3 driver always an M3 driver ... so my friend you simply have to take one or two out for a spin to see for your self ... Hope you find what you are looking for.

Cheers, and ... Welcome to the Forum

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 10-08-2011 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: minor addition
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
ericjay56
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I bet there are as many stories as there are M3 drivers on this forum here my friend.

In my case I fell in love with the looks of a 2002 M3 e46 when I was on a project on the west coast. Every morning I had breakfast at the same place for quite some time. After breakfast I would go next door and admire the fine BMW automobiles at the dealership while I smoked my cigarette. This was necessary since smoking in the restaurant and my rented car was no longer allowed

Well up to that point I did own 2 fine BMW cars one used and one still back home in my own garage. Naturally I had a good eye for those fine automobiles. One day the M3 I have been admiring for so many mornings in a row had a twin standing right besides it. So needless to say that evening I went into the dealership and inquired about price and a test drive. Well a few days later I test drove both cars and was done for. I simply had to have one of them. Both cars were in excellent shape, low milage, short 2 year lease returns and both owned by Doctors. I made an offer on the one driven by a Lady Doctor, the sales man assured me the car has never seen a track. We agreed on a price and I got a cheque certified by my bank then arranged for my e28 licence plate to be curried to me. Once I completed my project I drove my new found friend back home

Needless to say now I could smoke in my car (something I now have given up for the last 4 years) after returning the rented car to the airport

The e28 was handed down to a family member that car is being restored and will be 25 years old next year (a 535is came off the line in June 1987) and has served well over 250 Miles to date. The e46 M3 was sold last year and had close to 60,000 Miles on the odometer.

Since the e46 M3 I've driven two Z4's, however, while the Z4 is a fine automobile it is not a M3. So early this past spring I simply had to get back into a M3 the one I am driving now

Some say ... once a M3 driver always an M3 driver ... so my friend you simply have to take one or two out for a spin to see for your self ... Hope you find what you are looking for.

Great story, and thank you for the welcoming
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post

In my case I fell in love with the looks of a 2002 M3 e46 (that was back in 2004) when I was on a project on the west coast. Every morning I had breakfast at the same place for quite some time. After breakfast I would go next door and admire the fine BMW automobiles at the dealership while I smoked my cigarette. This was necessary since smoking in the restaurant and my rented car was no longer allowed

Well up to that point I did own 2 fine BMW cars one used and one still back home in my own garage that we purchased new in 1987 and was now going on in age. Naturally I had a good eye for those fine automobiles. One day the M3 I have been admiring for so many mornings in a row had a twin standing right besides it. So needless to say that evening I went into the dealership and inquired about price and a test drive. Well a few days later I test drove both cars and was done for. I simply had to have one of them. Both cars were in excellent shape, low milage, short 2 year lease returns and both owned by Doctors. I made an offer on the one driven by a Lady Doctor, the sales man assured me the car has never seen a track. We agreed on a price and I got a cheque certified by my bank then arranged for my e28 licence plate to be curried to me. Once I completed my project I drove my new found friend back home

Amen to that.....I had my dream car an E46 M3 Cabriolet with SMG back in 04 - 06...I had some health problems and also needed a larger vehicle to haul some toys and so I went till 011 w/out owning another M car.

I knew if I ever drove the E9x M3 I'd be smitten and so I never did -- till this past summer. 3 days later a Jerez Black E92 with DCT & ZCP was in my garage

It's awfully fulfilling and rewarding to be back in "the club" So yes, once and M3 driver always and M3 driver
      10-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

Welcome to the forum!

I am a little younger than some m owners so haven't owned as many cars... I have two classic cars (see sig) and my m is my daily driver.

My love for m3s started very young. A family friends dad owned a German car repair shop with emphasis on BMW and Porsche and the son drove an e30 m3 in to school one day and I loved the look of it, sound of it, and the attention to detail that set it apart. Stitching, the /// on the cars interior and exterior. I had no knowledge of what this car cost or anything but from then forward was a fan of m3s. I then found a person near school driving a yellow e36 and loved it and purposely took the long route to the baseball fields hoping for a chance to see it every day lol... My parents got me a CPO 323i as a junior in high school and I then started stalking the dealer lotto look at the then new e46 m3s. Fell in love with laguna seca m3s and continued to lurk around forums and drool whenever any m car was nearby.

I then had a lot of trouble with my 323i... 13 times the first year of ownership it had to be serviced. Then the ac blew 5 days out of warranty and the dealer wouldn't help with any cost of it even though the prior service had supposedly fixed the ac before it was out of warranty. I sold it and vowed never to look at another BMW.

5 years later I had graduated college and was (and am) writing mortgages and had a friend refer someone to me and that someone happened to be the sales manager at one of the az BMW dealers. (my bad experience was with a co BMW dealer). He told me he was sorry for my experience and for a year he told me to give him a chance to make it right. My Volvo s60r finally came out of warranty so I gave him his chance. He asked questions of my wants and needs an price range ad we landed on the 335i as a great fit so they had several lined up for me to test drive. I told him I didn't love it but liked it and said I'd think it over. Two nights later I called and said I was ready to come pick up my new car but as I arrived I told him to keep the 335i in its spot and I pointed to the le mans blue e90 m3 and said "I may take that one home instead"

Less than 5 minutes into my test drive my love affair with m3s were reignited and the high revs and sweet v8 sound was amazing, intoxicating, and I looked at him and said "tell me how I can take this one home tonight yet." 2 hours later I left the dealership in my 2009 CPO e90 m3 with 2900 miles. Thus was 9/30/2010 and I have never been happier as a driver in a car.

This dealership has made me a loyal BMW customer again and it's because of the sales persons continued contact (called for Xmas, new years, sang me happy bday in a voice message) and continued support.

Love this damn car! Really want to drive it right now but I'm out of state visiting family! Damn!
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
Diavel Tom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I took a Friday off to go buy a Z06 Corvette.

The dealership had one with all options and the color I liked. I asked the sales person to go get me the total out the door price.

I wandered into their customer lounge and sat down with a cold Coke.

I called my wife, and told her that I was going to go ahead and get the Vette.

She says "great, you found what you wanted then?"

"Yep...."

"So you didn't like the BMW you mentioned?"

"Which BMW?"

"You know, the one we saw on our way to dinner last week."

"Oh....the M3."

"Yes...that sounds right."

"Hmmmm....maybe I will go take a look."

"Well, the way you were talking about it, I thought that's what you really wanted."

"Good point....call you later."

Sales person came back with a quote, and I told him that I had to go look at one more car.

Drove to the BMW dealership and bought the car that afternoon.

Whenever I have my wife in the car, she confirms that I did pick the one I really wanted based on the stupid grin I have on my face.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #9
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

I'm not going to write a thesis like the ppl above, so I'll go straight to the point: I have driven lots of cheap cars in the past, even through college, but I always had my eyes on a BMW (my dream car). I just had to have a bimmer one day...

Now, I'll be honest, I was going to purchase a 335i... I have nothing against turbos. Test drove one back in Arizona and said to myself; "This is it". BUT, on the way out of the dealer, I saw a beast... a bad ass dude! And recognized the batch right away... I knew about the M3's and their legacy. So I asked for a test drive... and needless to say, it changed me forever. I thought "This is unreal, how does it do this?... the handling, responsiveness, power, beautiful sound, etc." So, that's how it happened.
Just to mention, I did not purchase the car that day, I bought mine one year later while at Germany and I'm very glad I made that decision; saved LOTS of money!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #10
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

tom you took a M over the z06? i'm not a chevy guy, but i'd pick brutal power of the M anyday.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
I had a very track oriented e46 M3 and very stock, very fast, big, 4-door Audi RS/6 at the same time. I travel a lot and don't have room for two cars. My 2009 e90 M3 DCT was the perfect compromise between the two. When the lease was up in 2010, I picked up another; a 2011 e90 6sp M3. I'm leaning toward the new M5 or a Dinanized 550i to replace the M3.

4 doors, plenty of room, and the ability to smoke pretty much anything but a Z06 or GT3 on the track are pretty good selling points. If I didn't take the car to the track, though, I'd definitely be driving a 5 series or an Audi.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
I moved to Germany while in the military back in 1994. I had a buddy that had a 14yr old BMW 3er white/black. I had to drop him off at school for a few weeks and he insisted that I drive his car. The second I got behind the wheel, I was blown away. The car did not feel 14yrs old one bit. Plus the paint and interior looked so fantastic. That started my Bimmer love. I went through a few of them living in Germany as BMW, Audi, Merc are like Ford, Chevy, Honda in the states and relatively cheap for a used one. But my #1 was an E36/7 M-Coupe hatchback; 325hp gokart. Ended up selling it as she was Euro spec when we moved to the states. We managed to make it back after a few years and I was surrounded by the Roundel yet again and knew I wouldnt be happy until I had one looking back at me from the steering wheel. Then I found out the M3 came in a four door version and I knew she was the one. Just had to tell the wife her X5 had to wait a few years and she was cool with that, great woman that she is... So ya, thats it. And I agree with the "once an M3 driver always an M3 driver" but I would change it to just ///M...
      10-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
menomo
Private
Rep
Drives: the new M3

well i had just moved countries and it was my third year in high school when i decided what the f. the m3 is sick lets go get one. two months later i owned one. i love it more and more everyday.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I have been a car enthusiast my whole life, as such, my knowledge of the M3 and what is was has been longstanding.

Living in the Northeast, however, I always had to give some practical consideration to winter weather.

When I got to he point in my life where I could afford premium level cars, I always turned to Audi, and they served me well. In 2006 I bought an Audi RS4, and was completely thrilled by the car. When the e9x M3 came out, it had some of the same great qualities as the RS4, but was a more dynamic and sharper car. Subsequently, I was able to buy a Porsche Cayenne to fulfill my daily driver, family transport and winter driving requirements. The M3 had always been kind of a "dream car" from my youth, and so I decided to finally get one. I test drove it several times and then bought a new built-to-order, no compromise vehicle.

So that's what led me to my M3. I am just so happy with it. There is truly no other car I would rather own at this point in life. I still have to haul kids around, so a pure two seater would spend just too much time sitting in my garage, and I have always been one who valued sophistication and refinement, so something like the GTR is not for me. I am fairly certain that if I don't buy another M3, my next "fun" car will be an Aston Martin Vantage or 911 variant, in like 2015-2016. My kids will be old enough drive by then. I think I will likely always own a Cayenne for my more practical and winter needs, as it is just sooooo capable in these regards, and for an SUV, is still a blast to drive.

Anyway, I also do believe the M3 is a car of "legendary" status along with others like the Corvette, 911, Nissan Z, Mustang, (please note that legendary doesn't mean it has to cost big $$$$) and I like owning a car that has a heritage with it. FWIW, this is my first BMW.

Last edited by LarThaL; 10-09-2011 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
Simma
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

04 330CI M Package was the closest I ever got to an M3 at first. That itself was a beautiful car and grabbed a lot of attention. I bought the 330 in 07 when it was 3 years old. I just retired it this past March. After months and months of shopping for an M3, I finally found one that caught my eyes and had everything that I had wanted (minus fox red interior), but hey can't be too picky with options on a USED car. I babied this M3 for the 3 months I had it. (Only put 2500KM). I got into a bad accident (non fault) in July and was stuck without an M for about a month. (Imagine how it feels to be rolling in an M3 in the nice hot weather and then your back in your winter beater Civic coupe) ... First week of September I found an amazing deal for an M3 (only 1400KM) and this time it had fox red interior! Now I'm rollin' again.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #16
nmehta211
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

To add to VVG's story above--(by the way I take some credit for your purchase as well!)
I am attaching a story I am writing to submit to Roundel. I am on my 3rd M3!

all started Freshman year in college. A very wealthy and lucky freshman had just been given a brand new 1995 E36 M3, silver, with black leather. I remember hearing that exhaust as he accelerated by me. I knew, whatever it took, I need to drive that car. 3 years later, when a friend was looking for one, I test drove a beautiful Techno violet coupe, and fell in love. But these cars were still far out of my price range.
Fast forward, 6 years later, I am finishing up medical school in Boston, and had one year left in the city for internship, before moving to New York City for residency. My 1998 Honda Prelude, while fun in its own way, was getting older and just didn’t have the performance of that M3 I so fondly remembered driving a near decade earlier. I continuously searched the classifieds, joined the BMW M3 forums, and one day I found it. A mint 1999 M3, Cosmos black, on black leather, original owner, with 22k miles. And it was in my price range! I immediately bought it, joined the BMW CCA, and discovered a love affair with BMW M cars, and rear wheel drive. Through the Boston BMW CCA Chapter, I did an advanced driving school course, and two track sessions at New Hampshire International Speedway and the historic Lime Rock Park. I spun the car, burned through a set of tires, but had a new found respect for rear wheel drive and 50/50 weight balance.
Alas, my year in Boston came to an end, and it was time to move to a small apartment in Manhattan. I put the car for sale in Roundel, and found a great buyer from Ohio who bought the car and drove it back with his son. I was condemned to driving pleasure from rental Buicks.
Four years later, I finished training in Manhattan, and decided to stay on staff as a full Anesthesiologist. I was finally making money, and decided, that the one thing keeping me from being completely happy was an M-car. I searched, and couldn’t believe my eyes. In Ohio, a 1999 BMW Cosmos Black/Black leather E36 M3 coupe, for sale. Could it be--was it my old car? Were we to be reunited?
Turned out it wasn’t. It was close, but this car had the rear spoiler and had a Dinan Stage II upgrade on it. And it was half the price I sold my car for 4 years earlier! I bought it, and shipped it back. It was great fun, and because of the age of the car, I didn’t worry too much about NYC beating it up. And it turned out my garage guys, with a little greasing, cared for the car as much as I did.
One mistake I made was last summer, I did the two day M-driving school at the Spartanburg factory. I immediately was hooked on the E9x series M3, and knew that it wouldn’t be long before I owned one.
This summer, I got the itch again to track. But the E36 was getting older, and needed some work. Things had gone well at my job, and I had been accordingly rewarded so I thought I deserved an upgrade. I had also worried about the future of normally aspirated M3s and wanted to capture the last of the breed. In the meantime, in a half hazard ad, I put the E36 for sale, pricing it where I felt I would let it go, but not a price that I thought was a steal for anyone. 2 months went by, no calls. I had given up, and began the repairs on the car. Then, a wonderful gentleman from South Carolina, Eric Wallet, calls me and we immediately hit it off. He makes an offer I can’t refuse, and the car is now with him. I wish him lots of fun miles ahead, and I know the car is in good hands.
Meanwhile, my search continued. Sedan or coupe? Lease or buy? DCT vs 6spd. After many long debates on the forums, countless phone calls and emails to friends, a friend told me about his recent order of a 2011 Coupe 6spd with the Competition package. And he mentioned the dealership, BMW of West Springfield, had a a CPO sedan with 6pd and low miles. I made the three hour trek, the last one in my E36, and immediately found the car to be stunning! And the sales team, Steve, Norm, and Luis, all were enthusiasts, equally interested in my E36 as I was in their E90. After a little haggling, the car was mine, and I couldn’t be happier. The drive down the Merritt Parkway on the way back to Manhattan was pure bliss.

08 E90 M3 Interlagos Blue
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #2--Sold
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #1--Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #17
quadpipes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB,'16 F22 M235i EB

I had owned several BMWs before and knew about the M legend. I went to a Susan G. Komen BMW Drive at our local dealer right after the E92 M3 came out, and they had a white E92 at the event. Absolutely loved the lines. I drove it with my Sales Rep/Friend and thought to myself who needs a car this fantastic? After thinking about it for about 6 months, the answer came back, me!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #18
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Because I cannot afford a new m5, porsche, or ferrari. Plus wanted a new car so used porsche etc was not for me.

Still a great car but most on here buy i tbecause its the best performance they can get in a euro car for the money. Most would take something better if money was not an option such as myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #19
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmehta211 View Post
To add to VVG's story above--(by the way I take some credit for your purchase as well!)
I am attaching a story I am writing to submit to Roundel. I am on my 3rd M3!

all started Freshman year in college. A very wealthy and lucky freshman had just been given a brand new 1995 E36 M3, silver, with black leather. I remember hearing that exhaust as he accelerated by me. I knew, whatever it took, I need to drive that car. 3 years later, when a friend was looking for one, I test drove a beautiful Techno violet coupe, and fell in love. But these cars were still far out of my price range.
Fast forward, 6 years later, I am finishing up medical school in Boston, and had one year left in the city for internship, before moving to New York City for residency. My 1998 Honda Prelude, while fun in its own way, was getting older and just didn’t have the performance of that M3 I so fondly remembered driving a near decade earlier. I continuously searched the classifieds, joined the BMW M3 forums, and one day I found it. A mint 1999 M3, Cosmos black, on black leather, original owner, with 22k miles. And it was in my price range! I immediately bought it, joined the BMW CCA, and discovered a love affair with BMW M cars, and rear wheel drive. Through the Boston BMW CCA Chapter, I did an advanced driving school course, and two track sessions at New Hampshire International Speedway and the historic Lime Rock Park. I spun the car, burned through a set of tires, but had a new found respect for rear wheel drive and 50/50 weight balance.
Alas, my year in Boston came to an end, and it was time to move to a small apartment in Manhattan. I put the car for sale in Roundel, and found a great buyer from Ohio who bought the car and drove it back with his son. I was condemned to driving pleasure from rental Buicks.
Four years later, I finished training in Manhattan, and decided to stay on staff as a full Anesthesiologist. I was finally making money, and decided, that the one thing keeping me from being completely happy was an M-car. I searched, and couldn’t believe my eyes. In Ohio, a 1999 BMW Cosmos Black/Black leather E36 M3 coupe, for sale. Could it be--was it my old car? Were we to be reunited?
Turned out it wasn’t. It was close, but this car had the rear spoiler and had a Dinan Stage II upgrade on it. And it was half the price I sold my car for 4 years earlier! I bought it, and shipped it back. It was great fun, and because of the age of the car, I didn’t worry too much about NYC beating it up. And it turned out my garage guys, with a little greasing, cared for the car as much as I did.
One mistake I made was last summer, I did the two day M-driving school at the Spartanburg factory. I immediately was hooked on the E9x series M3, and knew that it wouldn’t be long before I owned one.
This summer, I got the itch again to track. But the E36 was getting older, and needed some work. Things had gone well at my job, and I had been accordingly rewarded so I thought I deserved an upgrade. I had also worried about the future of normally aspirated M3s and wanted to capture the last of the breed. In the meantime, in a half hazard ad, I put the E36 for sale, pricing it where I felt I would let it go, but not a price that I thought was a steal for anyone. 2 months went by, no calls. I had given up, and began the repairs on the car. Then, a wonderful gentleman from South Carolina, Eric Wallet, calls me and we immediately hit it off. He makes an offer I can’t refuse, and the car is now with him. I wish him lots of fun miles ahead, and I know the car is in good hands.
Meanwhile, my search continued. Sedan or coupe? Lease or buy? DCT vs 6spd. After many long debates on the forums, countless phone calls and emails to friends, a friend told me about his recent order of a 2011 Coupe 6spd with the Competition package. And he mentioned the dealership, BMW of West Springfield, had a a CPO sedan with 6pd and low miles. I made the three hour trek, the last one in my E36, and immediately found the car to be stunning! And the sales team, Steve, Norm, and Luis, all were enthusiasts, equally interested in my E36 as I was in their E90. After a little haggling, the car was mine, and I couldn’t be happier. The drive down the Merritt Parkway on the way back to Manhattan was pure bliss.
You think roundel would publish this? Really?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #20
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Every since I was 16 I wanted a M3. At the age of 17 I purchased a mint prelude type SH and it was my first love lol... but I always knew I wanted the M3. When I was in undergrad, my desktop wallpaper was the e46 m3... and largely my motivating factor every time I logged onto the universities network. Fast forward about 5 years and I ended up picking up a used 350z for a steal of a price.

My plan was to get a e46 m3 after about a year as I thought financially that would be a better move, but as fate would have it.. my best friend ended up picking up a e46 m3. Needless to say, I was happy for him but I knew I couldn't have that car anymore.. would be a bit odd. So I patiently waited two more years until this past summer when I finally picked up my dream car the M3. At the time I was disappointed when my friend picked up the e46m3, I lusted after the M3.. and had to wait even longer. But boy am I glad I waited... the e92 destroys the e46 in so many ways. I wake up everyday looking forward to driving this beautiful work of art lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #21
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

Pretty simple: Decided to buy a convertible, so started looking at the ones that are fast and seat four. Thought I wanted AWD too, so was on the Audi S5 track for a while.

But, then started looking at stats, and the M3 was significantly faster and higher rated than pretty much anything in its class.

So off to the dealer to test drive a 335 and an M3 vert. M3 vert. And that was pretty much the end of the story. Found a few in my price range, and was driving one about a week later

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #22
doc19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 6MT

Always loved cars, BMW in particular. When I was a kid I would stare at the e30 3 series that I would see driving past. But it was college that my infatuation with M cars began, with the e39 m5 in particular, at the New York International Auto Show. What I loved about the M series cars is that the vast majority of the public doesn't recognize the cars for what they are. At first glance, it's like any other BMW out there. That is until you put your foot down... truly wolf in sheep's clothing (especially true for the older M models).

Unfortunately, much like nmehta211 my career didn't allow me the means to purchase such a car. So after college I gave up my 1984 Subaru wagon for a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder in the name of practicality... and I have been driving the Pathy for the last 10 years now, all the while getting behind the wheel of my friends m3s and m5s as often as I could (some of my friends chose more quickly developing careers). I must admit though that through multiple NE snow storms Pathy has served me well.

With Pathy getting older and now being at a point in my career that I could afford such a car, I looked at the e60 m5 earlier this year. However the e60 chassis was showing its age, and while the car is a bonafide monster, it just felt a lot bigger to me than the older e39 chassis.

This logically led me to the e90.

I did test drive a number of cars from other manufacturers, but the e90 m3 just felt right and reminded me more of the e39 m5 that I fell in love with all those years back. So on August 24th I placed my order (just in time it seems) to get my sport saloon. It is currently sitting on the MV Carmen somewhere in the North Atlantic, hopefully avoiding the remnants of Hurricane Philippe.

I haven't been this excited in a long time.
Appreciate 0