BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
WBMW5S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535I SPORT

Black Tab under trunk ceiling??

Does anyone know what the black plastic tab is for that is located a little to the left of center on the ceiling in the trunk? E92 12 with cold package..if that matters. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Meant to hold the floor compartment lid up for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
It's to hold the panel on the floor up when you are in there getting the tire inflation setup out.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

^ what they said
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
WBMW5S
Private
Rep

Thanks for the responses. Just ordered some trunk hooks (grocery) for the car and looking at the cargo net at bavauto.com part number 51 47 0 010 557. Has anyone used this net before. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
It's to hold the panel on the floor up when you are in there getting the tire inflation setup out.
tire inflation setup?? what is this?? Does this come standard with the car from the factory? and what all components does this have?? is this the same part that is in the accesories section of the BMW website??

that'll be cool if it comes standard!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBMWM3 View Post
Thanks for the responses. Just ordered some trunk hooks (grocery) for the car and looking at the cargo net at bavauto.com part number 51 47 0 010 557. Has anyone used this net before. Thanks
I have that net. I used it in my E46 for six years and moved it over to my E92. It's a little tighter in the e92 as the hook points are further apart, length wise, but this is actually a good thing as it really keeps smaller trunk loads from moving around too much, even when hammering it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
robb7979
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
tire inflation setup?? what is this?? Does this come standard with the car from the factory? and what all components does this have?? is this the same part that is in the accesories section of the BMW website??

It comes standard as a "fix-a-flat". Cool, because I can use it as a tire pump. Basically, it consists of a cigarette lighter powered tire pump, with a can of fix-a-flat.

Not Cool because it comes standard in lieu of a spare tire.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
WBMW5S
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
I have that net. I used it in my E46 for six years and moved it over to my E92. It's a little tighter in the e92 as the hook points are further apart, length wise, but this is actually a good thing as it really keeps smaller trunk loads from moving around too much, even when hammering it.
Thanks for the response. It is nice to know when you are doing "spirited driving" that things are being thrown about. Will order that part soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
.... umm dont have the car yet!!! I guess I need to download it from the site......
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb7979 View Post
It comes standard as a "fix-a-flat". Cool, because I can use it as a tire pump. Basically, it consists of a cigarette lighter powered tire pump, with a can of fix-a-flat.

Not Cool because it comes standard in lieu of a spare tire.
cool.... thanks..... like tech said below...... i need to before taking PCD and my road trip back home.........

hmmm...... not worried about a spare tire, 'cause as the plans stand now, I will be carrying a full size spare for the trip back home.....and yes, I have my flame suit on for this comment......lol........ i just cant wait to see the look on the face of the person at the check in counter when I'll be checking in a full size wheel in a tire tote as one of my "check in" luggages on my flight to greenville, SC......i am just hoping that they dont give me grief about wanting to check a wheel in.......
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #13
viperssd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AW X7

Quote:
FYI, there are some Audi foldaway hooks are a nicer looking solution than the BMW oem grocery hooks
      01-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
rdollie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Sedan

Sure you want to do that? It's a significant penalty over time in fuel consumption and takes performance in the wrong direction ever so slightly(nothing you would feel on the street and I doubt most of us could tell on the track.)

The other thing to keep in mind is that unless your're buying a couple of new wheels and tires you have staggered tire sizes and are taking a guess at which size spare you'll need.

For the price of the fuel and negligible performance penalty I bet you'd be better off ordering a couple of tires and keeping them in your garage and paying for a tow back home to change tires if you get a flat.

Quote:
cool.... thanks..... like tech said below...... i need to before taking PCD and my road trip back home.........

hmmm...... not worried about a spare tire, 'cause as the plans stand now, I will be carrying a full size spare for the trip back home.....and yes, I have my flame suit on for this comment......lol........ i just cant wait to see the look on the face of the person at the check in counter when I'll be checking in a full size wheel in a tire tote as one of my "check in" luggages on my flight to greenville, SC......i am just hoping that they dont give me grief about wanting to check a wheel in.......
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdollie View Post
Sure you want to do that? It's a significant penalty over time in fuel consumption and takes performance in the wrong direction ever so slightly(nothing you would feel on the street and I doubt most of us could tell on the track.)

The other thing to keep in mind is that unless your're buying a couple of new wheels and tires you have staggered tire sizes and are taking a guess at which size spare you'll need.

For the price of the fuel and negligible performance penalty I bet you'd be better off ordering a couple of tires and keeping them in your garage and paying for a tow back home to change tires if you get a flat.
ummm... a tow back home might be 1000+ miles depending on the situation. As far as staggered sizes go, I did some background check on the forum as well as spoke with a couple of BMW techs. The size I will be carrying is the rear wheel/tire combo. unless I am at full lock (not likely considering that other than at dragon's tail, very few curves for the ride back) the rear wheel/tire combo does fit the front. there might be a slight drag in one direction if I do happen to need the spare up front, but to me that is much safer mechanically than having a wheel speed difference on the new differential (if i were to use a front wheel/tire combo at the back) over a long drive.........

and I agree with you..... I thought over this for a long time. In the end, I decided on a full size spare, especially considering that I am on a schedule and its going to be a long trip back......
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #16
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
I haven't used it but was looking for something like this. The trunk is pretty cavernous and after a few runs to the store, I'm done repacking the grocery bags every time I get home to carry them in. Literally was talking to my wife about this last night. Thanks for the link!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
WBMW5S
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperssd View Post
FYI, there are some Audi foldaway hooks are a nicer looking solution than the BMW oem grocery hooks
Way ahead of you..I traded an Audi for this BMW and one of my favorite things was the grocery hooks in the trunk..so i ordered them..just got to be careful installing them..don't want to slip and put a hole in my car..lol
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

do you have to buy the hooks seperately?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #19
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:

The ///M cars do not come with Run-Flat Tires (RFT) like all other BMW's do. So underneath the floor in the trunk the ///M3 is provided with a small air compressor that one can connect to the 12 volt outlet (cigarette lighter or other 12 volt connection under the centre arm rest).

With this small air compressor you can add air to your tire also there is a special sealer provided by BMW that seals a small leak.

When you look at a BMW M3 at a dealer have a look in the trunk and lift the trunk floor cover you will see the tire inflation kit.

Good luck finding your right M3

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Way ahead of you..I traded an Audi for this BMW and one of my favorite things was the grocery hooks in the trunk..so i ordered them..just got to be careful installing them..don't want to slip and put a hole in my car..lol
Can you take a picture? that would be great ... Thanks!

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
WBMW5S
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Can you take a picture? that would be great ... Thanks!
Will do..just waiting for them to arrive. I think they are coming international shipping so it may take a couple of weeks. They only cost $20 so I will just need to be patient. Not a common trait for us M3 owners..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #22
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
.... umm dont have the car yet!!! I guess I need to download it from the site......
Which was pretty obvious by your "that'll be cool if it comes standard". Just ignore em...some people have more fun flaming than being helpful.

When's your car due? Are you familiar with the various meets in OK? There's one Sat at Memorial/Penn in OKC.

The fix a flat kit, as other have said, isn't too great. If you have damage to the tire, you're probably stranded. A donut would of been handier.

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Appreciate 0