BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
BMWM3RED
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe Red

M3 Snobs and Legitimate Questions - Commentary

I am a noob at the M3 but not cars. I have noticed that a lot of people make fun of people when they ask what they think is a legitimate question, like the covers for the hood air scoops and getting water in. Most of us know that there are weep holes on all cars. But saying stuff like, "thats for the radiator" or "thats where you put the oil in" is insulting. You sound like 3rd graders. I was made fun of also, no big deal, I probably deserved it, but I was just having fun.

When I see people just "sitting back with their popcorn and watching the show", like it is some circus, I think is just wrong. These are people on here that have spent upwards of $70k for cars and are truly concerned and have questions. And they want real answers. If nothing is wrong then say so and get off the thread.

Don't make them out like they are stupid just because YOU think they are asking a stupid question. Have a little more respect.

BMWM3RED
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

Just because you registered on this forum doesn't mean that you should just post any question that pops in your mind. There are other avenues to find information: read your manual, search this forum, search the internet, open your hood, ect. If you have put a little effort into finding an answer and still can't find it, it may be something worth discussing on the forum, go ahead and post. If you are too lazy to find the answer yourself, well then prepare for people on the internet to make fun of you.

Post after post about the same stupid subjects that have been discussed and discussed are not good for a forum. It drives knowledgeable people away. Hence the snark.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
mkiv808
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 E90/Cayman S

I have definitely noticed more snobbiness/snark on this forum than the other car forums I have frequented.

Sorry guys.

I have not been on the receiving end, but many threads I've come across with what I believe to be helpful information are filled with sarcasm because, oh noes, the question may have been asked before. Please.
      01-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Please someone tell me this thread is NOT happening. In the meantime gonna get some

On a more serious note: I have learned a lot in this forum, and still learning. Have recieved help from members in numerous occasions, and I try to help others with the knowledge I have gained. Particularly at this stage in the e9x model life many subejcts have been covered, and thus a search will most likely clear up most questions to new owners. So as I see it you have at least two options: dont search, ask a question that has been discussed a billion times, and prepare for all sort of funny/sarcastic answers. Or search on a subject (forum, internet, manual), and if you still have doubts, post the question and possibly we can all learn something NEW.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsabec View Post
Just because you registered on this forum doesn't mean that you should just post any question that pops in your mind. There are other avenues to find information: read your manual, search this forum, search the internet, open your hood, ect. If you have put a little effort into finding an answer and still can't find it, it may be something worth discussing on the forum, go ahead and post.
I understand where you're coming from RED, but tjsabec is right. After being here for a while you will quickly realize that most of the new guys are VERY reluctant to use the search function, and it's instances like that, in which you'll find a lot of sarcasm and people being made fun of.

It is an internet forum and resource of information. When looking for an answer, you're go to guy should be the button, not immediately jumping to starting a new thread.

Hearing the same question get asked over and over again gets old. It's like having a book of technical knowledge with the answer your looking for tabbed right in front of you, but asking someone else instead... what's the point?

It's a mixed crowd, you got some legit people and you got douche bags, but don't get it twisted, in time you'll see the majority is pretty chill.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3RED View Post
I am a noob at the M3 but not cars. I have noticed that a lot of people make fun of people when they ask what they think is a legitimate question, like the covers for the hood air scoops and getting water in. Most of us know that there are weep holes on all cars. But saying stuff like, "thats for the radiator" or "thats where you put the oil in" is insulting. You sound like 3rd graders. I was made fun of also, no big deal, I probably deserved it, but I was just having fun.

When I see people just "sitting back with their popcorn and watching the show", like it is some circus, I think is just wrong. These are people on here that have spent upwards of $70k for cars and are truly concerned and have questions. And they want real answers. If nothing is wrong then say so and get off the thread.

Don't make them out like they are stupid just because YOU think they are asking a stupid question. Have a little more respect.

BMWM3RED
I always say "there are no stupid questions only stupid answers" and I go from there ... it's just the right thing to do.

anyway that was my golden rule during my entire professional carrier

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I always say "there are no stupid questions only stupid answers" and I go from there ... it's just the right thing to do.

anyway that was my golden rule during my entire professional carrier
The other version of that quote is "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions"

In all seriousness, the search on this site sucks. I've used in numerous times, even with exact phrasing from a post I wrote, and still can't find it. Google works much better.
      01-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

OP - I'm not defending anything but I would like to put things into perspective a little bit for you so you don't feel bad. Reason being, this forum is actually a really good forum and for the most part the members are great, they are knowledgeable, and just a really good community. So, I personally wouldn't want someone thinking its a bad forum due to seeing things from only one side.

First off, many, many, MANY of the topics and questions that get asked have been asked and covered a lot. The answers you were getting was just a bunch of the senior members having fun instead of yelling "search!". You shouldn't take it so closely to your heart. I.e. don't get butt hurt.

Another thing is, the E9X M3 has been around for 4 years now and the older members here have seen and heard it all and there's not too much new stuff going on with them really. So it's not a personal attack when a bunch of members have fun with something.

All in all, you will have fun here and learn a lot. But if you get your panties in a bunch at every response you don't like, cancel your Internet connection

Cheers
      01-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Welcome to the internet. Seriously, that's the nature of any online forum. This site is extremely helpful IMHO. Yes, we make fun of people on a regular basis, but it's all pretty light-hearted. Anybody with a serious issue will find a lot of help here.

I have a weird sense of humor, and I'm guilty of posting snarky remarks on a regular basis - but to be honest - many threads deserve it.

I think overall we are a nice crowd of car freaks.

OP, most of the comments go out with a good sense of humor... relax a bit. I don't think anyone here claims to know it all anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Aquariu///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

I really do see that this forum do have members that have a certain attitude because they drive an M3 or BMW. I do see that here unfortunately which makes me disappointed, a lot of people have said BMW drivers are more snobby or more of an ass than other car owners..this may be true!
I only speak from personally experience but I'm not on the forum much at all but I don't see as many smart ass comments in NAGTROC, 6speedonline, Lexus or evolutionm.net as I do on this forum.
I always think if you don't have anything good then don't say anything at all, but like the funny picture above ... Seems like some of these geeks don't have anything better to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
BMWM3RED
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe Red

Thanks for responses

I see that there are a lot of good responses on here too. Like the throw out bearing one and clatter. I for one, work on my own car, and have built a car from the ground up(engine and trans) as a kid, So I know what it is to be given the wrong throw out bearing(too long) and the clutch plate won't engage with the pressure plate and the flywheel. My father made me put a new clutch in the chevy truck by myself, (bcuz I popped the clutch too much) no transmission jack, just arms to take it out and put back in. The hard part was lining up the throw out bearing all the way thru the flywheel so I could put the 3-speed back in.

So, I have fixed most everything on cars and trucks(older ones) and understand what it means to work on cars. And I know there are a lot of duplicate questions. Believe me, I researched a lot before asking questions, but somehow some of us think that our situation was a little differen and just need reassurance.

I think there really are a lot of good knowledgable folks on here and glad I joined. I just felt sorry for the "heavy rain on the hood" question guy.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Welcome to the internet. Seriously, that's the nature of any online forum. This site is extremely helpful IMHO. Yes, we make fun of people on a regular basis, but it's all pretty light-hearted. Anybody with a serious issue will find a lot of help here.

I have a weird sense of humor, and I'm guilty of posting snarky remarks on a regular basis - but to be honest - many threads deserve it.

I think overall we are a nice crowd of car freaks.
+1000 Stop being so sensitive!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have learned far more about my car from this site than I ever could from my dealer or car manual. Its worth taking a little crap every once in a while to have access to all this knowledge.
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

lots of great info on this forum. You will eventually get an answer regardless of the many harassing responses. a little bit of entertainment imo
      01-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3RED View Post
I think there really are a lot of good knowledgable folks on here and glad I joined. I just felt sorry for the "heavy rain on the hood" question guy.
....man that was the best thread of the new year. As many others have stated......it's the internet so take it with a little humor............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Hmmmm. Similar here as other car sites to me. Doesn't really bother me because I do search, I do read the manual, I will walk out to my car and open the hood. This means when I do post a question I know the answer will not be three threads below mine in general. Still it is good to remember that a search will fail if you use the wrong search terms. I think everyone has experienced failing to find something in a search and then posted with a response from someone who "found it in .0016 seconds on google, do a search you worthless turd" which of course you did. An example would be I was trying to figure out if all my music would fit internal but I failed to find and answer searching. That is until I added the term "capacity" and hit pay dirt. Another thing is some people will show up having never been on a forum. A lot of these will either be new owners who are stoked and those who have an issue and looking for answers/advice. They don't know the rules and often slam it out there thinking that people are just waiting for a chance to help them.

I was talking about forums to a friend once and I joked that the next one I joined would be as user "Megan 1989" and then ask any question I wanted while being sure to include asking if there was a way to adjust the seatbelt so it didn't ride on top of my unusually large boobs. Figured I would get about 17000 straight up answers to each question without ever being told to search. It would be easy enough to ignore the ones asking for pics of where the seatbelt was riding.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Nothing wrong with a basic question, but the particular thread the op is refering to actually asked if it was ok to drive the car in the rain.
Really? You think asking if it's ok to drive a car in the rain isn't going to lead to snarky responses?
Really?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #19
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

the physical manual is tough to search. A word of advice is to go to mybmw register you info and download your car's manual in PDF version. Then you can do keyword searches.

https://www.bmwusa.com/Secured/Conte...CZx6fc2r/1pis=
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #20
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

NO, NO, NO....This thread is a joke right? Mods are doing an early April Fools?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #21
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

try m3forum.com ... the e46 has been out for over 10 years... can you imagine the stupid questions on there?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #22
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Whats with the new guy?
Appreciate 0