BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
hieu1004
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray e92 M3

New Member - Possible M3 Owner Soon! Trading in 2011 STi

Hi guys, I've been on the M forums quite a bit doing research, but since I am so close to buying my car, I decided to join and introduce myself. I just made a post over at the other M forum, so I'll just copy it over

I've always been a car enthusiast and the M3 has always been the car that I've always wanted, but always seemed out of reach, budget-wise. Now that I am married, own a house and have a job that pays well, I can finally get the car I want.

I am coming from a 2011 Subaru STi, which is great performance-wise, but lacks a little in refinement. My previous car was a Lexus IS which had refinement, but lacked a little in performance. The M3 combines both. Although I am taking a little financial hit on trading in a newer car, it's a lesson that I am willing to pay - I should have just got what I wanted the first time around. Since I got the STi at a corporate discount rate, it is not TOO bad....oh well, lesson learned and noted.

I must live in an area where demand is high (Seattle, WA area), since it's been quite a task to find a clean 08+ for a decent price. The clean ones are going about mid 40's+ w/30k+.

I am currently looking at two different ones, both 2008, both 6spd manual, both fully loaded (NAV, CF trim, tech. package, premium package, cold weather package, etc): one is a space gray metallic coupe w/39k miles, which is listed at $46k. The other is a black sedan w/40k miles, listed at $45k. Both at BMW dealers - I will do my best to get it down a bit. There are a couple others that are about 44k - but they are on used car lots and the history looks a bit suspicious.

Anyways, mainly just wanted to post to introduce myself and say hi. Looking forward to joining the M club! I'll post some pics and reviews when I get it!

A couple photos of my current ride (I know, it's no BMW..):

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
dhahlen
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 318is, e90 335i, e92 m3

good luck with your hunt!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Sweet!

You remind me of myself! I had a 2007 Lexus IS as my previous car and I had an 2011 STI hatch on order from a local dealer near me. Couple weeks prior to the STI coming in and me picking it up I told myself that I should get the car I REALLY wanted and not settle for less. So then I put in an order for my M3. I did European Delivery on it. Best experience every and I recommend you doing the same!

I wanted an STI because I love working on engines, and I wanted to mod the engine quite a bit. The BMW on the other hand is pretty much maxed out from factory. Only option for it to get much gains are from a supercharger. So in that sense the BMW is a little boring because the engine is not as mod friendly as the STI. But the M3 handles amazing and I love the car with no regrets.

Last edited by chmura; 02-03-2012 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Welcome.......but those Sti's and Evos are badass little cars......not to be underestimated, especially after some simple tuning.

Welcome to the boards and good luck in your search, just understand the N/A S65 will provide a COMPLETELY different driving experience then what you had with the Sti......

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I woudl not be paying $46k for cars with 40k mileage, read this thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...366319&page=36
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieu1004 View Post
I've always been a car enthusiast and the M3 has always been the car that I've always wanted, but always seemed out of reach, budget-wise. Now that I am married, own a house and have a job that pays well, I can finally get the car I want.
I thought getting married was supposed to stress your financial abilities
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
hieu1004
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys! STi is def. a fun car and I will probably miss it.

Thanks for the link - I actually already read through the entire thread though.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

Good luck! Go with Black Sedan, that's what I've got...bought used 08 Jet Black on Black and fully loaded. I definitely like having all options since they are so expensive new, so good to get them used where someone else has taken the hit on them.

I thought about getting an STI as well but went straight for the M since I knew I'd be doing what you're doing now if I went STI first hehe.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Damn. I LOVE that STI. I was just thinking of getting one of those. Yours looks sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
hieu1004
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
I thought getting married was supposed to stress your financial abilities
Indeed! My wife is a keeper though. I was looking at an E46, but she actually pushed me to look at the e9x!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmdreamer View Post
Good luck! Go with Black Sedan, that's what I've got...bought used 08 Jet Black on Black and fully loaded. I definitely like having all options since they are so expensive new, so good to get them used where someone else has taken the hit on them.

The black sedan is what we're leaning towards - definitely more practical for me.

I thought about getting an STI as well but went straight for the M since I knew I'd be doing what you're doing now if I went STI first hehe.
Lesson learned for sure - get what you want. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Damn. I LOVE that STI. I was just thinking of getting one of those. Yours looks sweet!
Thanks! It's definitely a great vehicle. If I wasn't so in love with the M, it'd be a keeper!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

I'm an Ex sti owner, had two actually, I personally would not advise buying a current generation M3 with an expired warranty, warrantys expire based on sell date, not on model year.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
I'm an Ex sti owner, had two actually, I personally would not advise buying a current generation M3 with an expired warranty, warrantys expire based on sell date, not on model year.

Good luck.
I agree with this....although I'm an ex Mitsu Evo IX owner. My M3 came with extended warranty (CPO) and it JUST saved my @$$ due to a broken valve spring, which the dealer is paying for right now.
      02-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieu1004 View Post
Indeed! My wife is a keeper though. I was looking at an E46, but she actually pushed me to look at the e9x!

Thanks! It's definitely a great vehicle. If I wasn't so in love with the M, it'd be a keeper!
My wife did the same to me. That is why I canceled my STI order. She hated the STI and thought it looked like a high schools kid car. So the next car I wanted to ever own was an M3 and I took the plunge! My wife is a keeper too!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
PowerLex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

I'm actually in the same boat as you! Getting ready to trade in my 2011 STI and looking for an M3, among other things. Mind letting me know what kind of numbers you've been hearing for your trade in (PM)?

thanks and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
hieu1004
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What do you guys think about an extended warranty if there is not much warranty remaining?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #16
roddyc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BMW M5

You should do yourself a favor and expand your search radius a little. I ended up searching nationwide for mine since all the ones in Dallas were overpriced at the time and ended up finding a low mileage 08 about 500 miles away; flew in, drove it back the same day. Quickest (and possibly funnest) 7 hours ever while I got acquainted with my M.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
ForensicM3
Private
Rep
Drives: Not an m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post

Good luck.
How come? Reliability isn't that good? Or is it that if something does happen its going to cost a lot to fix?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
First Welcome to the Forum .... Second Good Luck in finding your dream car ... I am sure you will in the end.

Even if you find something further away you can always go and pick it up and have a nice drive home Or the dealer can arrange to ship it to you.

The prices you quoted look fairly good. Just make sure;-

1) It is as near as possible what you are looking for.

2) The car is from a BMW Dealership and has had all the inspection done (i.e all documents are on file and available).

3) Look for high cost repairs ... if you find them then the car may have seen the track.

4) If you find a private deal make sure the car is inspected by a BMW dealer and that all data is available. The inspection here is important since it may reveal a repair that is lingering on the horizon ... you need to know this for your final price negotiations.

5) It would not hurt to ask or let the BMW people know that you plan to purchase extended warranty (even if you don't plan to do it), by asking this question the inspection will be done in great detail by BMW I am thinking.

Finally as you said yourself the M3 is a great car, even one with 25K to 30K Miles is barely broken in (unless abused on the track) remember this car is build for speed on the Autobahn, speeds we cannot drive in North America not legally anyway

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that statement... tons of cars had or have high cost repairs and never been to the track. And tons of cars here on the forum are on the track on a regular basis, and are probably better kept than the average M3. Unless you meant that big repairs were done without insurance involved... but then again, most here have track insurance anyway.
Well what I meant is extensive repairs, it reveals (to me anyway) that the car has not been properly handled, especially for a 6MT.

I am sure you agree there are drivers and then there are drivers, be it on the track or otherwise. It is just a good indicator (I like to stress indicator here) to me if there are no high maintenance repairs chances are the car was properly handled. Having said that one never knows does one?

Anyway I hope the OP will find what he is looking for

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #20
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
I just traded in my 11 335 for an 11M3 so I feel you pain on taking the hit but WTH you only live once. Best decision I ever made! Good luck!

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #21
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Yeah, I've taken tons of those hits... the curse of having car ADD.
Fawwwwwwk that's what it's called! I got it BADDDDDDDD! But hoping I am cured by this M3!

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I tried to break my BMW chain by getting a new GR STi after a 135i (didn't like the 135). Big mistake. Car sucked. Much happier where I am now for many reasons. You will be too!

Thoughts on my GR
- understeered like a pig
- loose steering with numb feedback
- sloppy and I mean brutally manufactured interior
- lack of features that would otherwise be present on a much cheaper car
- low revs
- lots of lag
- general lack of motorsports feel

Desperately attempted tuning. Then felt taping my entire interior. Upgrading sways. Finally gave up after 9,000km.