BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

03-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

The secret appeal of my M3

For whatever reason, I really felt a connection with my M3 more than any other car I've owned, That is why sometimes when I think about getting a "better" car in the future, I balk at times.

I have finally figured out this connection.

When I was a teenager, I was just as much of a car nut as I am today. Even well before I could drive, I had a subsciption to Car & Driver. Back in the day, the crowd I hung with was into muscle cars and this is what I grew up with. Camaro, Mustang, Nova SS, GTO, Barracuda, etc, etc. These were the cars that were hot. In 1983, at the age of 17, I bought a used Mustang GT 5.0. It was my first car and was true to my muscle car roots.

Over the years, my tastes changed to more sophisticated, refined and precision engineered vehicles. The appeal of my M3 is that it basically takes the core elements of the muscle car formula, then applies all the precison, refinement and engineering of a modern day premium German brand. What a combination !!!

What are those muscle car elements?:

Front mounted V8 engine
Manual transmission
Rear wheel drive
2+2 Coupe configuration

This is what I have in my e92 6MT M3. In fact, subconsciously, the muscle car roots of my youth may be exactly why I chose my M3 in this configuration!!!

Last edited by LarThaL; 03-04-2012 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Add a healthy dollop of sophistication and voila, M3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Michaeljh2000
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3, 69 Vette, GSXR 1000

Agreed. Probably explains why I've advanced from mustang, several corvettes and now to M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
The appeal of my M3 is that it basically takes the core elements of the muscle car formula, then applies all the precison, refinement and engineering of a modern day premium German brand.
Why I chose mine too!!
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
For me, I stumbled onto BMWs. I used to be a Nissan guy but being stationed in Germany, I had the opportunity to take advantage of the Military Sales program. Ordered an e92 335i back in October of 2006 and took delivery in Feb 2007 and from then on I became a BMW fanboi and switching to the M3 in 2008 just solidified it for me. I am glad that I stumbled onto such a balanced car. Instead of magazine racing, I was on the Nurburgring destroying C63's and passing GT3 RS' and was only passed 2 times in 50 laps on the track (one was a M3 CSL, the other was a GT3 RS). Even to this day, this car surprises me. I mean, beside having a great instructor (Christian Thompson, Mike Skeen's roomate :P), all credit goes to the M3 for me lapping VIR full course at 2:15 three times in the same session. The crazy thing is, that was my first weekend at the track and I'm already seeing where I can knock off more time from reviewing my video. The car just inspires that confidence because it is so well balanced and so predictable. The GT3 RS is my next step but as I was talking to my wife at the breakfast table this morning, I need to know that the GT3 RS is a much better driver's car in order to get one because the M3 is already satisfying all my senses. This car is amazing because besides being a ridiculously good car on the track, it is even better as a daily driver. The drive back home was so relaxing, it is every bit as comfortable as my wife's VW Touareg. This one is a keeper.

This was one of two cars to ever pass me on the Nurburgring while I was in the M3:

Chasing down a GT3 RS at Brunchen and subsequently passing:

8:20 lap with warped brakes (you can actually hear how badly they were warped in the video and it shook the steering wheel so badly that the right paddle stopped working on the drive home) and bald tires, this was my last weekend at the Ring and I drove all 50 laps on the same set of tires. That's ~650 miles on the Ring alone. Fastest on a tourist day in traffic was 8:07 back when the tires still had some tread on them and on fresh rotors.

VIR weekend writeup here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654257

Not bad going in a straight line either:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641663
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
GS_Jay
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Sakhir Orange II F80 ZCP

Totally agree... I came from the muscle car background with my first car being a wannabe 4-4-2. It was a 2 door Cutlass with a Pontiac 400 (couldn't find a 455 anywhere back then) and all my friends were doing Nova Deuces and GTO's. I have had an E46 M3 and now the E92 and have been blown away by both of them. It acts like a muscle car that went to refining school...you can stomp the gas and burn the tires if you want, or you can carve up the corners... I won't be getting rid of mine any time soon. Even if gas goes to $5 a gal...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor
For me, I stumbled onto BMWs. I used to be a Nissan guy but being stationed in Germany, I had the opportunity to take advantage of the Military Sales program. Ordered an e92 335i back in October of 2006 and took delivery in Feb 2007 and from then on I became a BMW fanboi and switching to the M3 in 2008 just solidified it for me. I am glad that I stumbled onto such a balanced car. Instead of magazine racing, I was on the Nurburgring destroying C63's and passing GT3 RS' and was only passed 2 times in 50 laps on the track (one was a M3 CSL, the other was a GT3 RS). Even to this day, this car surprises me. I mean, beside having a great instructor (Christian Thompson, Mike Skeen's roomate :P), all credit goes to the M3 for me lapping VIR full course at 2:15 three times in the same session. The crazy thing is, that was my first weekend at the track and I'm already seeing where I can knock off more time from reviewing my video. The car just inspires that confidence because it is so well balanced and so predictable. The GT3 RS is my next step but as I was talking to my wife at the breakfast table this morning, I need to know that the GT3 RS is a much better driver's car in order to get one because the M3 is already satisfying all my senses. This car is amazing because besides being a ridiculously good car on the track, it is even better as a daily driver. The drive back home was so relaxing, it is every bit as comfortable as my wife's VW Touareg. This one is a keeper.

This was one of two cars to ever pass me on the Nurburgring while I was in the M3:

8:20 lap with warped brakes (you can actually hear how badly they were warped in the video and it shook the steering wheel so badly that the right paddle stopped working on the drive home) and bald tires, this was my last weekend at the Ring and I drove all 50 laps on the same set of tires. That's ~650 miles on the Ring alone. Fastest on a tourist day in traffic was 8:07 back when the tires still had some tread on them and on fresh rotors.

Wow, 8:07 on the ring! Not saying anything but if you can bring an 8:07 to the table, would think a professional driver with the new car should easily break into the 7:50's, but then again, maybe you're just an awesome driver, which is more than probable. Good work, this car rocks
      03-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

I completely agree, modern amg/m cars are German muscle cars. I always loved the m3 in high school, but it's lack of a v8 bothered me a bit. when I found out the s65 was v8 and weighed less, I was sold. I NEVER would have imagined myself buyng the same car twice, my e92 changed that. For me, it does everything perfectly. You can go to autox/road courses or the drag strip, but also have a nice German car to go out in or drive to work. And for a "muscle car" they're pretty good on gas imo.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
For whatever reason, I really felt a connection with my M3 more than any other car I've owned, That is why sometimes when I think about getting a "better" car in the future, I balk at times.

When I was a teenager, I was just as much of a car nut as I am today. Even well before I could drive, I had a subsciption to Car & Driver. Back in the day, the crowd I hung with was into muscle cars and this is what I grew up with. Camaro, Mustang, Nova SS, GTO, Barracuda's, etc, etc. These were the cars that were hot. In 1983, at the age of 17, I bought a used Mustang GT 5.0. It was my first car and was true to my muscle car roots.

Over the years, my tastes changed to more sophisticated, refined and precision engineering vehicles. The appeal of my M3 is that it basically takes the core elements of the muscle car formula, then applies all the precison, refinement and engineering of a modern day premium German brand. What a combination !!!

Front mounted V8 engine
Manual transmission
Rear wheel drive
2+2 Coupe configuration

This is what I have in my e92 6MT M3. In fact, subconsciously, the muscle car roots of my youth may be exactly why I chose my M3 in this configuration!!!

Thats cool and all just dont turn into this guy...

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Wow, 8:07 on the ring! Not saying anything but if you can bring an 8:07 to the table, would think a professional driver with the new car should easily break into the 7:50's, but then again, maybe you're just an awesome driver, which is more than probable. Good work, this car rocks
LOL thanks, but 8:07 is not that fast. The time is BTG, not the full lap (~30 sec less than a full lap) but I actually was trying to get a sub 8 min lap that weekend. The traffic was horrible on tourist weekends, unless you are first out on the track and then you can't be aggressive because your tires are still cold and you don't know the condition of the track. By the time you come back around for your hot lap, all the tourists are on track. I might just sign up for one of those BMW sponsored HPDE's but I don't know how the instructors will take it when I try to match that 8:05 full lap in their M3 :P

All is not possible without this M3, it really does make a zero into a hero. I was humbled early on when I drove my first lap on the Nurburgring with the 335i by x2 Ringtaxi's. They both drifted around me back to back on the track (Initial D style), after that weekend, I started studying the track and memorized every inch of it. Needless to say, that was the last time a Ringtaxi came close to me. They usually do 8:30 laps around the track on tourist days because they spend more time entertaining the clients by drifting than actually putting in good lap times. The 335i never gave me that confidence and it felt numb on the track. The M3 feels direct and it opens up all your senses, hard to describe.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
pedrobot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP w/Drivers Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
For me, I stumbled onto BMWs.......
<SNIP>

Very Nice armyav8tor!!

Quick question.

Passing on the inside is not frowned upon on non-race events?

I don't have any experience with auto track days but I do have plenty of experience on my motorcycle.
And passing on the inside is a no-no.

VVG,
I completely agree with you. I too have a muscle car background, 94 camaro z28, '66 mustang 289 then I crossed paths with BMW when I purchased a X5 for my wife in 2005.
The 4.4 v8 in her truck had plenty of "oomph" but has a very nice ride, not too soft, no to harsh.
Had a 335i and 328i as loaners from the dealer when service was performed on her car. Having those cars for a few days was always great.

I knew my next car would be a 3 series. So here I am and couldn't be happier
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrobot View Post
Very Nice armyav8tor!!

Quick question.

Passing on the inside is not frowned upon on non-race events?

I don't have any experience with auto track days but I do have plenty of experience on my motorcycle.
And passing on the inside is a no-no.

VVG,
I completely agree with you. I too have a muscle car background, 94 camaro z28, '66 mustang 289 then I crossed paths with BMW when I purchased a X5 for my wife in 2005.
The 4.4 v8 in her truck had plenty of "oomph" but has a very nice ride, not too soft, no to harsh.
Had a 335i and 328i as loaners from the dealer when service was performed on her car. Having those cars for a few days was always great.

I knew my next car would be a 3 series. So here I am and couldn't be happier
On the Ring, rule of the road applies. So, you are supposed to pass on the left. However, the British guys usually throw a wrench in there because they are used to letting people pass on the right. Personally, I pass where ever I have room because it's 22 Euros a lap and I'm not going to let some slow car get in my way and take away my fun. Wrong answer I know, but I do have some pretty good reaction time. I only came close to killing a biker once but that was because he came out at the last second as I was trying to pull a quick pass before a braking zone. I hate motorcycles on the Ring, they pull on you in the straights which is fine but always get in my way in the corners where I like to have fun. I wish they would do what they do on the Hockenheimring and separate the two.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251
Quote:
For whatever reason, I really felt a connection with my M3 more than any other car I've owned, That is why sometimes when I think about getting a &quot;better&quot; car in the future, I balk at times.

When I was a teenager, I was just as much of a car nut as I am today. Even well before I could drive, I had a subsciption to Car &amp; Driver. Back in the day, the crowd I hung with was into muscle cars and this is what I grew up with. Camaro, Mustang, Nova SS, GTO, Barracuda's, etc, etc. These were the cars that were hot. In 1983, at the age of 17, I bought a used Mustang GT 5.0. It was my first car and was true to my muscle car roots.

Over the years, my tastes changed to more sophisticated, refined and precision engineering vehicles. The appeal of my M3 is that it basically takes the core elements of the muscle car formula, then applies all the precison, refinement and engineering of a modern day premium German brand. What a combination !!!

Front mounted V8 engine
Manual transmission
Rear wheel drive
2+2 Coupe configuration

WTF?! "Chase... I love you baby".

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
pedrobot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP w/Drivers Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
On the Ring, rule of the road applies. So, you are supposed to pass on the left. However, the British guys usually throw a wrench in there because they are used to letting people pass on the right. Personally, I pass where ever I have room because it's 22 Euros a lap and I'm not going to let some slow car get in my way and take away my fun. Wrong answer I know, but I do have some pretty good reaction time. I only came close to killing a biker once but that was because he came out at the last second as I was trying to pull a quick pass before a braking zone. I hate motorcycles on the Ring, they pull on you in the straights which is fine but always get in my way in the corners where I like to have fun. I wish they would do what they do on the Hockenheimring and separate the two.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I've seen some gnarly crashes on the turns from people with "fast reaction" times too.
Not trying to turn this into a flame post but I was taken out by a rider that passed me on the inside, low-sided and subsequently took me out.
Not cool to say the least.

I agree with you about motos being out with autos. I don't think I would be comfortable taking my moto out with cars on the track.
I think the race lines would be different on a car. Person on a car can possibly misinterpret the riders intentions and "POW!!"

Guy on that bike on your vid seems to be dragging knee on some fast turns. Personally, the only times I was able to drag knee was on very tight turns. Some of those turns he had his knee down seems like fast sweepers. That tells me he could have easily carried more speed by keeping the bike more upright. I'm no Rossi though, so take my points here with a grain of salt.

<THREAD JACK OVER>

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post

Don't worry. Sheep is as far as I go.
      03-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #16
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrobot View Post
Thanks for clearing that up.

I've seen some gnarly crashes on the turns from people with "fast reaction" times too.
Not trying to turn this into a flame post but I was taken out by a rider that passed me on the inside, low-sided and subsequently took me out.
Not cool to say the least.

I agree with you about motos being out with autos. I don't think I would be comfortable taking my moto out with cars on the track.
I think the race lines would be different on a car. Person on a car can possibly misinterpret the riders intentions and "POW!!"

Guy on that bike on your vid seems to be dragging knee on some fast turns. Personally, the only times I was able to drag knee was on very tight turns. Some of those turns he had his knee down seems like fast sweepers. That tells me he could have easily carried more speed by keeping the bike more upright. I'm no Rossi though, so take my points here with a grain of salt.

<THREAD JACK OVER>

Yeah, I know I've gotten away with murder a few times and it's something I've been working on to avoid. I'm a bit of a risk taker and fast reaction time is definitely not an excuse to do something stupid. AutoX and HPDE has steered me in the right direction. I lacked discipline on the Ring. I usually drive on there with flip flops on and didn't even have a helmet until my first AutoX event after PCS'ing back to the States. But I'm all better now.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10535, E90M3, E30M3, E28M5

Garage List
2017 Alpina B6 GC  [0.00]
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [9.74]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [7.00]
1990 M3  [9.50]
1988 M5  [10.00]
OP: Cool thread and I'm with you!

I too have been a Motorhead since 13. At 18, my '79 Z28 had a smog motor which I replaced with a Blueprinted LT-1. I was fortunate to know a Professional Engine Builder when I was 18 and he helped me. Car was Nuts but could only go straight and the brakes sucked (I hadn't learned yet about a well balanced car).

My Older Sister came home from College that year with a modified for the track BMW '02 Round Tail-light! I initially laughed at her car but while I could dust her in a straight line she proved her's was the better all-around car. Thus started my fascination with BMW.

I've been fortunate to have numerous BMW's since. Modifying each of them. I guess it's an Addiction!

I'm 50 now and planning my suspension mods for this year's track season. If I'm Lucky, I'll be a BMW Motorhead for many years to come!

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R7 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes

Last edited by CBS; 03-04-2012 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
BlackDesertTango
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330

I'm a first time BMW owner. I purchased a e90 330I as a future family car. Previously, I owned 1965 Mustang Coupe with a 289 and 3 on the floor. I always dreamed of restoring a 1968 Fastback but with more exposure to BMW, the thought of the V8 on a 2011 M3 just makes me dream every night again.
      03-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #19
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:

When I was a teenager, I was just as much of a car nut as I am today. Even well before I could drive, I had a subsciption to Car & Driver. Back in the day, the crowd I hung with was into muscle cars and this is what I grew up with. Camaro, Mustang, Nova SS, GTO, Barracuda, etc, etc. These were the cars that were hot. In 1983, at the age of 17, I bought a used Mustang GT 5.0. It was my first car and was true to my muscle car roots.

Over the years, my tastes changed to more sophisticated, refined and precision engineered vehicles. The appeal of my M3 is that it basically takes the core elements of the muscle car formula, then applies all the precison, refinement and engineering of a modern day premium German brand. What a combination !!!

Front mounted V8 engine
Manual transmission
Rear wheel drive
2+2 Coupe configuration

Add me to this list, - although growing up in the Bay Area I was exposed almost equally to Chevelles/Malibu's/Vettes, Cougars/Stangs, AMX's/Matadors, Porsche's, Lancia's, TR6's you name it.. and folks would run them on the Great Highway at Ocean Beach. I can even go back to 1977 when an elementary teacher of mine was eager to get to Germany for the unveiling of the BMW 320i, which he eventually took delivery of. I think I was really sold on the M brand after hearing then seeing the owner of Howard Tire in the city pass by my apt in his M1 on his way to the shop in the mornings in the late 80's.

The M3 is raw yet refined at the same time. I love how it sounds on start up the slightly uneven idle and the fact that this little coupe has a V8. I know there may be faster cars in the category, I'm not concerned about that because in my opinion, and to the majority of those who post on these boards - the M3 is the most balanced of them all

Oh and BTW: this is my 10th BMW since 1994. I guess I'm a bit of a "propeller head"
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Well, I don't go back as far as some of you do. But my affinity for cars began in the late 80s/early 90s with Mustang GT 5.0. Remember Vanilla Ice? Anyways, I always like many cars including the Corvette, NSX, Supra, 300ZX, the Porsches and etc. The M3 always struck a nerve with me because of the blend of luxury with power. I always thought the E46 M3 was second to none. I still love the styling(it gets my attention when I spot one on the road). I was very jealous of a friend who owned one. But it was when I rode in it that I had to have one. Be careful who you are friends with, my friends have good taste and they have cost me lots of Benjamins.

If M3s didn't exist, I'd probably drive around an Accord or a Maxima.
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red - 145k and Totaled. 2012 Toyota Prius C - 145k and Totaled. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked. 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totaled. 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #21
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK OPS View Post
WTF?! "Chase... I love you baby".
No comment.. I feel bad for Chase
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #22
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Its a logical progression with cars..onward upward..after the M3..I would have to be looking to get into a Porsche
Appreciate 0