BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Gatchaman
Rep
Drives: 12 M3 AW DCT

Best roads home? PCD > TX

I'll doing a PCD in May and headed back to Texas. I'm planning my route home.

So Far:

A: BMW South Carolina
B: Blue Ridge Parkway
C: Tail of the Dragon
(insert roads here)
D: Dallas, Tx

This route will take me through Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock.... but I'm looking for great driving roads for the way back even it it's out of the way a bit. Any suggestions for between C and D?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: car

I'd spend most of the time in Western NC. The roads through TN are nice but you'll have to make some serious detours. Arkansas sucks in my opinion unless you head into the mountains but the roads are poor.
Send me a pm and I'll send you some of the great NC roads via google maps.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

If you can, hit Shreveport and go to "Strawn's Eat Stop Too" for the best strawberry Icebox pie. And yes, you have to do the Dragon!!

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep

Here's your route man, it includes a shit ton in the NC mountains, the Natchez Trace parkway (slow but awesome) and Shreveport for some pie.

Enjoy!

http://g.co/maps/9pvyx
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, X5

is the tail of the dragon the best idea during the 1200 break in?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
They say to vary your speed right?

It's fine so long as you don't go full throttle in my opinion. Much better on the car than just cruising down the highway for 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainofjjj View Post

It's fine so long as you don't go full throttle in my opinion. Much better on the car than just cruising down the highway for 2 days.
yeah i hear that. i'm doing PCD to NYC and trying to go as north as possible first, then east in. i'll be damned if i'm stuck on the i95 corridor
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
yeah i hear that. i'm doing PCD to NYC and trying to go as north as possible first, then east in. i'll be damned if i'm stuck on the i95 corridor
Yeah good idea. Depending on how long you have you could do the Blue Ridge Parkway through VA. It's almost all varying speeds and would be a great way to break in the car and spend some quality time.....with the M....and maybe the lady (or dude, if that's your thing)

F I95

Don't buy an M if you plan on using it like that
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah good idea. Depending on how long you have you could do the Blue Ridge Parkway through VA. It's almost all varying speeds and would be a great way to break in the car and spend some quality time.....with the M....and maybe the lady (or dude, if that's your thing)

F I95

Don't buy an M if you plan on using it like that
all of these things are part of the planning. ashville, blue ridge parkway, then north to 78, then east (i really like 78)

and my lady friend (aka wife and mother of my child) will be part of the mission, she may even row the DCT.

she gets to keep the f10 550 (D2) so she's psyched.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatchaman View Post
I'll doing a PCD in May and headed back to Texas. I'm planning my route home.

So Far:

A: BMW South Carolina
B: Blue Ridge Parkway
C: Tail of the Dragon
(insert roads here)
D: Dallas, Tx

This route will take me through Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock.... but I'm looking for great driving roads for the way back even it it's out of the way a bit. Any suggestions for between C and D?
I'm doing PCD in eight days.

After 3:00 pm, taking the car up to Asheville to spend the night. Then early Saturday (before sunrise, headed to Tail of the Dragon. Ideally, the sun will be mostly/partially up by the time I do a 180' and go south again. The plan is to drive it once with those fun curve-changing-headlights, and then once when I can see the road better.

Planning to take a few lesser-known roads to Atlanta to visit a friend.

But after that, I don't want to sight-see -- just want to get to Dallas as soon as possible to visit relatives, then south to Houston.

I'll post an update of the PCD-to-Atlanta trip and let you know if anything remarkable may be helpful for your trip.

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
you should check this out ---> Click for new Apps Ultimate Drive

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #12
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e92 M3, Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo
Quote:

Cool. Also doing pcd to home in Boston. Haven't really given much thought to routes yet. Scheduled pcd in May. Let me know your planned route. I'd appreciate the ideas
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hwy 276 off 11 up to Ceasar's head state park. Maybe 30 min from performance center and on your way to blue ridge pkwy. My favorite road to drive around here. Just make sure you keep DSC on !
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
Gatchaman
Rep
Drives: 12 M3 AW DCT

I'm going to hit the goggle maps this weekend with some if the input from you guys!

I had wondered about break-in and the tail of the dragon, but I don't plan on driving like it's a racetrack. From everything I've ever heard about it... that road is super busy so you can't get real fast. Anyone here have experience on it?

I've always wanted to take my motorcycle on it. I've never been in that area except for a layover at the airport. From the air that is beautiful country!

VMcV3y: congrats on the new car! 8 days... that's going to be a long 8 days! haha. Let me know how the trip goes and your route. I will be taking my wife, not sure if she will drive it yet.

I'm going to get a GoPro HD2 for a time lapse video of the trip home!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

I hear there's a road through some state park on the arkansas - oklahoma border that's pretty bad ass. I don't remember any details but I found it a bunch of times when googling "best driving roads oklahoma"
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

Quote:
100% best idea. Vary speeds, shift rpms, etc. Don't worry about full throttle. If you hit full throttle anywhere on the Tail, you're pretty much guaranteed to drive off the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_yogi View Post
100% best idea. Vary speeds, shift rpms, etc. Don't worry about full throttle. If you hit full throttle anywhere on the Tail, you're pretty much guaranteed to drive off the road.
well then, it's settled. my delivery is set for may 25th, the friday pre memorial day, so i will have 3 full days to travel the 1100 odd miles. so far i only have Asheville and the tail on my list, which is basically going north, then south west before i head north east again. any suggestions guys? knoxville?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

Quote:
well then, it's settled. my delivery is set for may 25th, the friday pre memorial day, so i will have 3 full days to travel the 1100 odd miles. so far i only have Asheville and the tail on my list, which is basically going north, then south west before i head north east again. any suggestions guys? knoxville?
I would recommend driving through the Great Smoky Mountain National Forest. Great twisties and it will take you up to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge (one of my favorite places in the southeast). Charleston is another option (another fav)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

Quote:
I would recommend driving through the Great Smoky Mountain National Forest. Great twisties and it will take you up to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge (one of my favorite places in the southeast). Charleston is another option (another fav)
^This! I drove through the Smoky Mountains in my 04 STi a few years ago. A great drive ensued.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #20
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
GREAT! this is right near asheville, the tail right? i have to make tracks after this, though i have some time, would like to be back in city by like midday monday. any and all suggestions as i head north are appreciated!

thanks all
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Today: PCD to Asheville.

It rained heavily on the last twenty miles up here tonight.

Tomorrow (weather permitting): Tail of the Dragon!

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0