BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Strange Steering Feel After Car Accident

As in my sig, my car is 2011 E92 M3. It has recenetly been involved in an accident about 2 weeks ago. The passenger side of my car hit the rear of another car (guess what... a 7 series).

The local autobody shop did great work and it's back in busines. From the worksheet they provided me, it appears that they had to do a lot but no mechanical damages or structural damages from what I was told. They did however do re-alignment.

However, since I got the car back, when the car goes over pot holes or something similar (minor ones), the car feels a little strange... kind of like I am losing control for a split second in the back end and my body seems to sway side to side a bit. It seems to happen more when the passenger side (the accident side) goes over these pot holes. I am not sure what it is and I certainly don't know enough about the car dynamics to figure out what is happening. All the other time, the car feels ok.

The car is going back to the shop for them to re-check the re-alignment work they did. Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodaka View Post
As in my sig, my car is 2011 E92 M3. It has recenetly been involved in an accident about 2 weeks ago. The passenger side of my car hit the rear of another car (guess what... a 7 series).

The local autobody shop did great work and it's back in busines. From the worksheet they provided me, it appears that they had to do a lot but no mechanical damages or structural damages from what I was told. They did however do re-alignment.

However, since I got the car back, when the car goes over pot holes or something similar (minor ones), the car feels a little strange... kind of like I am losing control for a split second in the back end and my body seems to sway side to side a bit. It seems to happen more when the passenger side (the accident side) goes over these pot holes. I am not sure what it is and I certainly don't know enough about the car dynamics to figure out what is happening. All the other time, the car feels ok.

The car is going back to the shop for them to re-check the re-alignment work they did. Any other ideas?
A loose suspension component in the rear can cause the body to go side-to-side feel.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
A loose suspension component in the rear can cause the body to go side-to-side feel.
Can it also feel like that, if there is a loose suspension component in the front? I only ask, because I don't think they did anything to the rear suspension, but I am pretty sure they did something to the front one... possibly the stiffnes in the new suspension not matching the driver side one? I am just guessing.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Well, they probably gave it a four wheel alignment. And a bad one at that.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Can it also feel like that, if there is a loose suspension component in the front? I only ask, because I don't think they did anything to the rear suspension, but I am pretty sure they did something to the front one... possibly the stiffnes in the new suspension not matching the driver side one? I am just guessing.
Yes it can. I would have them check anything that they touched while working on the car. If the car's alignment is off, it will cause it to feel uneasy too.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thank you for the answers. I am bringing the car back in tomorrow; I will mention the suspension thing and will ask them to re-check everything they did. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Post up the alignment specs.
      03-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Post up the alignment specs.
I will post up what I can from the sheet that they gave me when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I am looking at the summary repair sheet, and all it says about alignment is "4 Wheel Align" without any specs or anything like that. Where can I get this? Is it something I can request?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
robb7979
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Yes. They should have a before and after sheet. Also sounds like it could be the control arms. That would give it a "loose" feeling. Let us know what you find out.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
Car54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I am looking at the summary repair sheet, and all it says about alignment is "4 Wheel Align" without any specs or anything like that. Where can I get this? Is it something I can request?
Yes, you should have a before/after alignment sheet. Request it.

If your car is skipping around you likely have toe out in the rear.
      03-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Get alignment specs as others have said...best place to start.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Get alignment specs as others have said...best place to start.
+1
      03-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Car54
Captain
Rep

In the meantime....go out and grab each tire, like a kind of bear hug, and violent let shake the tire/wheel in and out. You'll need a lot of force to detect a problem. The car should be moving around on the sidewalls when you do it hard enough.

I once had a body shop not tighten my lug nuts when reassembling my car.
      03-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
tamana
Private
Rep
Drives: nids

They should have a before and after sheet. Also sounds like it could be the control arms.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thank you all for all the posts. So the car was dropped off. I mentioned some of the things in this thread... like controls arms, suspension, etc. They just said when my car hit, the suspension wasn't damaged and they also didn't think it was control arms.

Anyway, they are taking the car to a bmw dealership for an alignment and I asked for a copy of the spec's when done. I will post this up when I have the car back, hopefully today.

I suppose if this doesn't solve it, they will need to have a look at other things, but hopefully this will do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #17
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
In the meantime....go out and grab each tire, like a kind of bear hug, and violent let shake the tire/wheel in and out. You'll need a lot of force to detect a problem. The car should be moving around on the sidewalls when you do it hard enough.

I once had a body shop not tighten my lug nuts when reassembling my car.
I will check this too, when the car is back. But, what am I looking for, loose tires?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
Car54
Captain
Rep

Wheels and tires being loose could show a weak spot in wheel attachment or suspension looseness. It's a pretty standard autocross tech inspection component. You'd be surprised how many things are caught with that test.

Tell us this...were any of your rims or tires damaged in the accident?
      03-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #19
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wheels and tires being loose could show a weak spot in wheel attachment or suspension looseness. It's a pretty standard autocross tech inspection component. You'd be surprised how many things are caught with that test.

Tell us this...were any of your rims or tires damaged in the accident?
No. I still have my tires and original rims.

I got my car back today. I didn't get a chance to do this test but will try to do something maybe on the weekend.

The initial very non-professional assessment is that the car feels much better... so far. I will have to keep my eye out for any troubles.

Attaching what they gave me (personal info removed). I don't know what any of these means but it appears that they did make some adjustments.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf AlignSpecs.pdf (56.9 KB, 290 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
Car54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No. I still have my tires and original rims.

I got my car back today. I didn't get a chance to do this test but will try to do something maybe on the weekend.

The initial very non-professional assessment is that the car feels much better... so far. I will have to keep my eye out for any troubles.

Attaching what they gave me (personal info removed). I don't know what any of these means but it appears that they did make some adjustments.
It looks like they made adjustments, and you were toe-in on all four corners and they made it closer to the wheels going straight.

They didn't get your front right camber back to spec...was that the damaged side? You might have something bent that won't allow adjustment back to stock.

If you still feel a problem, I'd go back to the same shop to see if any measurements change or shift.

I'd ask the place why front right camber could not be corrected and get a letter from them saying why. Take that to your insurance adjuster and work on getting that straightened out.

None of these alignment specs, before, indicate a reason for really unsettling handling. Toe-out (or a -1+°) would cause that or gross toe-in.
      03-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It looks like they made adjustments, and you were toe-in on all four corners and they made it closer to the wheels going straight.

They didn't get your front right camber back to spec...was that the damaged side? You might have something bent that won't allow adjustment back to stock.

If you still feel a problem, I'd go back to the same shop to see if any measurements change or shift.

I'd ask the place why front right camber could not be corrected and get a letter from them saying why. Take that to your insurance adjuster and work on getting that straightened out.

None of these alignment specs, before, indicate a reason for really unsettling handling. Toe-out (or a -1+°) would cause that or gross toe-in.
I see. Yes, the front right (passenger side in NA) was the damaged side. The alignment was done at a BMW dealership as the shop doesn't do this part themselves. I will speak to the shop, who will likely contact the dealership afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #22
robb7979
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Doesn't a camber adjustment require new parts? I'd ask for the original alignment specs, and see if it was aligned correctly the first time. If it was, then there is some underlying problem causing you to lose the alignment. Which would again cause me to think of the control arms or bushings. Although, I'd wonder how they'd miss that during an alignment.
Appreciate 0