BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

06-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
michaelpnett
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW E92 M3; 2012 X5M

Hagarty insurance

Anyone with experience with Hagarty? Thinking of moving my X5M from USAA to Hagarty.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

+1..very interested to hear some experiences with Hagarty

I like the fact that they have tons of support staff and their valuation tools are awesome
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

I had my 1968 Camaro resto-rod insured with them. Not recommended. After having been with them for 4 years, never an incident with the car, they denied coverage to me when I signed back up for year 5.

The reason was because:
  • My daily driver was stolen from my place of work 2.5 years before and I filed a claim (under USAA, not even Hagarty)
  • My WIFE had some snow fall on her Acura that dented the hood (under GEICO) and I filed a claim to fix the hood

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. If they drop my coverage for a reasons like this I don't think I would risk them covering anything else I own. I changed coverage to GEICO's partner that handles collector vehicles (American Collectors Insurance I believe).

Also, you are smart to change from USAA. They were terrible to deal with when claiming that stolen car and actually stole parts off the car while it was sitting in their insurance adjustor building. I guess they didn't think I was going to pay the salvage value of the car and never release it to them.

At least they (USAA) had the courtesy to put the WRONG door back on the car... (and then the adjustor tries to tell me that was the way it was recovered, because the thief was so nice as to steal the door off my car and then put a rusted door from the wrong year back on it? right...) When I finally gave up on USAA and called around I was getting quotes for the same coverage 200-250 dollars per 6 months cheaper than them... Mind you I've NEVER had an accident or even a speeding ticket in 15 years of driving.

USAA insurance is bad, Hagarty I don't think I would trust to treat me right if I had to ever file a claim with them (based on the reason they dropped my coverage)

*USAA banking is great though*
      06-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
I had my 1968 Camaro resto-rod insured with them. Not recommended. After having been with them for 4 years, never an incident with the car, they denied coverage to me when I signed back up for year 5.

The reason was because:
  • My daily driver was stolen from my place of work 2.5 years before and I filed a claim (under USAA, not even Hagarty)
  • My WIFE had some snow fall on her Acura that dented the hood (under GEICO) and I filed a claim to fix the hood

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. If they drop my coverage for a reasons like this I don't think I would risk them covering anything else I own. I changed coverage to GEICO's partner that handles collector vehicles (American Collectors Insurance I believe).

Also, you are smart to change from USAA. They were terrible to deal with when claiming that stolen car and actually stole parts off the car while it was sitting in their insurance adjustor building. I guess they didn't think I was going to pay the salvage value of the car and never release it to them.

At least they (USAA) had the courtesy to put the WRONG door back on the car... (and then the adjustor tries to tell me that was the way it was recovered, because the thief was so nice as to steal the door off my car and then put a rusted door from the wrong year back on it? right...) When I finally gave up on USAA and called around I was getting quotes for the same coverage 200-250 dollars per 6 months cheaper than them... Mind you I've NEVER had an accident or even a speeding ticket in 15 years of driving.

USAA insurance is bad, Hagarty I don't think I would trust to treat me right if I had to ever file a claim with them (based on the reason they dropped my coverage)

*USAA banking is great though*
So they denied you additional coverage for claims with other insurance companies with vehicles they weren't insuring? How would they even know that info?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
So they denied you additional coverage for claims with other insurance companies with vehicles they weren't insuring? How would they even know that info?
They know..my current Allstate was able to see all prior history and claims with Progressive..they share databases

I must say Im surprised by this..I thought Hagarty was the gold standard..My friend blew his engine in a Gallardo..he was with Hagarty...they not only cut him a check right away they helped him find a replacement engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
They know..my current Allstate was able to see all prior history and claims with Progressive..they share databases

I must say Im surprised by this..I thought Hagarty was the gold standard..My friend blew his engine in a Gallardo..he was with Hagarty...they not only cut him a check right away they helped him find a replacement engine.
Guess one would need to find out if there is some disclaimer they have against previous claims. Just seems odd that they would insure for 4 years and then not reinstate on the fifth year if nothing had happened during those prior 4 years. What would be their motive?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Guess one would need to find out if there is some disclaimer they have against previous claims. Just seems odd that they would insure for 4 years and then not reinstate on the fifth year if nothing had happened during those prior 4 years. What would be their motive?
I agree .we may be missing the whole story here
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Nautik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't know, the lady pulled it up though when I asked why I was denied... then I proceeded to tell her how ridiculous that was. It's not MY fault a car was stolen (nevermind insured by someone else). It's not MY fault snow fell on my wife's car (again, insured by someone else).

I was and still am confused about this. But it was easier to change insurers than deal with this... I don't have time to figure them out, I will just go to their competitor.
      06-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
Nautik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There was a small lapse in insurance coverage between year 4 and 5 so I had to reapply. That is when they denied me. Before, I just kept paying them my 700 bucks annually and never an issue.
      06-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
Nautik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I agree .we may be missing the whole story here
Nope, that was it... I reapplied for year 5 and was denied. They stated those 2 reasons to me. Maybe they had other reasons they weren't telling me? I don't know. But I have never had a speeding ticket or an accident. Those are the only 2 claims on my insurance history in 15 years (stolen car, dented hood from snow falling on it). I never took my resto-rod to the drag strip or anything that would void coverage. It mostly just sat in my garage and a weekend stroll.

I can only assume this was a mistake or something, but don't have time to figure out someone's mistake when I am paying for their service.
      06-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpnett View Post
Anyone with experience with Hagarty? Thinking of moving my X5M from USAA to Hagarty.

Thanks
Back to OP...

I believe Hagerty insurance is designed more for the collector market, i.e.: collector or high-end limited production type vehicles. Insuring a X5M with them might be a bit of a stretch. They have very strict rules as to when the vehicle may be driven, how far and under what conditions.

FYI, I use Liberty Mutual through BMW's program and so far, so good. Their rates were extremely competitive on a twelve (yes 12!) month policy. Cannot yet speak about claims experience - thank goodness.

Last edited by DBH; 06-21-2012 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post
Back to OP...

I believe Hagerty insurance is designed more for the collector market, i.e.: collector or high-end limited production type vehicles. Insuring a X5M with them might be a bit of a stretch. They have very strict rules as to when the vehicle may be driven, how far and under what conditions.

FYI, I use Liberty Mutual through BMW's program and so far, so good. Their rates were extremely competitive on a twelve (yes 12!) month policy. Cannot yet speak about claims experience - thank goodness.
I know for a fact that Hagerty insures at least one M car, the M3. I called when shopping around for insurance last year and the M3 did qualify but they couldn't beat a competitors rate and had one restriction that was a dealbreaker for me personally. If they insure the M3 the OP might wanna give 'em a call and see.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
michaelpnett
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW E92 M3; 2012 X5M

They will insure the X5M. Already checked that. Just can't be your daily driver
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #14
jhott66
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Hagerty is an "agreed value" "collector car" insurance. I have used Hagerty and currently have Grundy insuring my 1971 Alfa Romeo.
Essentially, you agree to a value of the car and you also agree to not use the car for anything other than shows or casual "limited" use. Basicallly, sunday cruise or trip with kids to get ice cream. Commuting to work or daily use is strictly and clearly forbidden in the terms. Also, EACH AND EVERY driver in the household MUST have a registered and insured daily driving vehicle that is newer than 10 years old. EACH AND EVERY driver in the household MUST be insured to driver each daily driven car.
The terms are restrictive but the coverage is liberal when accidents happen there are typically very few questions asked; as long as you are following the terms of the contract.
Bottomline, I am highly doubtful Hagerty will insure your X5.
Appreciate 0